The House of Lords Alliance

Discussion in 'CyberNations Archive' started by Xz, Jan 24, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm nitpicking, but since it's in our best interest as Lords serving the HoL nobility etc etc... shouldn't there be a space between the "any" and the "way"?

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

My dictionary says thats a chemistry term?

Because lacking any reference, I randomly chose titles and positions of office. Though I did go partly on what people said they wanted in this thread.

I figure once I've got it all sorted out, we can decide properly who should be what and the rank they'll hold.

Fixed in next version.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Incredibly worded, brilliantly conveyed.
    I suppose that all I must do right now is resign from the GC when the time is right.
    Eh, I guess the time is now. I resigned, let all of the alliances to which I was an ambassador know, and now I think I set my alliance to the House of Lords? Or do I wait?
    I'm playing it safe for now and leaving my color as, "none," and my alliance as, "Grey Council."
    So...whenever you're all ready, I am too.

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, to be frank, I was thinking of Chromatic Dragons in the Forgotten Realms and took it from there.

Seeing as I'm the appointed Lord Chancellor... how are my responsibilities defined, exactly? Is there any function I need to fill?

5. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Ruthlessly purge the heretics. (And Chromatic Dragons? I've only met a Chromatic Demon.)

Finally, I'm with Gross: just tell me when the time has come and I'm there.

6. Grossenschwamm

Dichromatic might be a better term to use...
    I mean, essentially "bi" and "di" mean the same thing, but dichromatic literally means having or showing two colors.
    And bichromatic normally pertains to a two toned graph, or to chemistry.

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Spuddy, how much combat experience do you have?

8. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I like it very much, especially the shiny titles:)

By the way, I have officaly resigned from the GC and have changed my team colour to black, and would ask DE to go black to, wich would mean i would recieve two colour trade bonuses^^
    (But I don't know wich is best for you...)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Wee, I'm the Field Marshall, that will surely make us win all of our wars. :p

Uh yeah, another position might be better for me. :p

11. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I couldn't help but laugh at that... Look at my nation strength and see how much war experience I have.

Interpretation: apart from my first three weeks in Peace Mode (because I was infantile and stupid, forgetting to change my options) and the last month (when my sitter kept me in DefCon 1 the whole time) I've been pretty much fighting since then. With GATO, CNARF, MDL and League. That's why I'm so much weaker than the rest of you, due to my staying in DefCon 1 and replacing casualties and stuff. And that's without ever being defeated and losing loads of infra.

Lesson: constant wars play havoc with your economy and growth (but is a bit of fun).

12. Grossenschwamm

I still like the sound of my title and job, "His Benevolence The Right Honourable Grossenschwamm, High Commissioner of the House of Lords, Viscount of the House, Koenig of Urwaldland. "
    So, yes, I think everything's good.
    How does one go up in house rank?
    Is it a combination of both diplomatic and war-time efforts?
    There should be an amendment in the charter for obscene language.
    While not needed all the time, some foul language is necessary to show the proper emotional involvement of individuals, as well as drive a joke home.
    People who curse excessively should be warned and/or stripped of rank should they be repeat offenders, but can earn their rank back should they prove themselves in battle, or show that they're capable of cursing in moderation.
    I know we all let a "fuck" or a "shit" slip out every now and again, but more than one obscenity per sentence, for me, is excessive.
    When I appoint diplomats, I'd want to make sure they behaved themselves on other forums.

Oh, and Spuddy seems like the best candidate for Field Marshall.

13. DarkUnderlord

Yeah just a note on the ranks and everyone's positions. Basically for lack of any guide to go on, I chose them all randomly just as an example. In essence, once I've worked out how I think ranks and titles should work, there'll be a major re-jiggying of who gets what based on past experience and who should have / actually wants which job.

In actual fact, we might even setup the House of Lords forum and then follow the Charter properly to elect members just to see how the process goes.

I'm very gradually edging my way towards a completed Charter but basically after a weekend of working on it, I'm down to a few hours per night if that. I hope to have the next draft out tomorrow which should include descriptions and elections of all positions and how the ranks and titles work.

14. wobbler

15. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Apart from the name, this is actually pretty much the GATO method. Every war (actually, each enemy) gets its own thread where the combatants paste their battle reports for all others (though mainly the officers) to read. This is to judge how the war's progressing and if there are things the combatant could do better; officers comment and hand out new orders. Uninvolved parties can also post comments in the thread, whether moral support, helpful hints, requests/offers of aid, etc -- spam isn't allowed, of course.

Then again, the whole bunch of GATO Military fora could be called the "War Cabinet" (though that really should refer just to the leadership deciding matters of war) in that there is a separate forum for each of the 7 platoons, and a multitude of war threads in each platoon. For ease of reference, each thread is titled "(Enemy) attacking (GATO member or ally, as the case may be)" and has a subtitle giving three pieces of information. First is the current orders: "Ceasefire", "Attack at Will", "Peace Declared", "ZI Mission" etc so that everyone can see at once what's going on. Second is the enemy's current NS, and third is the number of friendly combatants involved ("All slots full" for example). The subtitle is changed as often as is necessary, because changes can happen pretty fast during wartime. Once peace has been declared the thread is locked and archived.

One thing about this system I like (apart from the relative ease with which you can assess a war's status just from the thread title and subtitle) is that the rank and file is forbidden to communicate with the enemy. If the enemy sends a PM, the receiver just posts it among the battle reports in the war thread and lets the officers deal with it. Also, peace offers are ignored (and need not really be reported) if they're just the standard computer generated ones. If the enemy has actually written a personal peace offer, then that too goes into the war thread and the officers start dealing with it.

Long post and all that, but I was a little bored just now... Hope it made some sort of sense.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Even though this might seem a bit trivial: hasn't "War Room" got more of an air of nobility around it than "War Cabinet"?

Or is that just me?

17. wobbler

"Room for tactic and strategy"
    There we can train everyone^^^
    :p

18. DarkUnderlord

Rather than re-post all of it, here's the section dealing with the powers of each position as ell as how titles are obtained. Any thoughts, queries on any of the processes outlined here? Oh yeah and... Longest Charter EVER.

• The Governing Body

The House of Lords shall be governed in all matters by its Governing Body which is laid out here as follows:
      • Lord President and Leader of the House.
        • Power and Authority of The Lord President
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Lord President and Leader of the House shall be established.
          • That such position bears all the powers of the Governing Body of those below it, as outlined in this Great Charter and that in the event of conflict between an order given by that of a lower position and an order given by The Lord President, that The Lord President's order shall be upheld and all other conflicting orders disregarded (Veto Power).
          • That The Lord President, President, Pres, Leader, Dude or other such title as one may choose to address The Lord President, shall hold supreme authority over all Members of the House with regard to matters pertaining to the House. The President's word is final and no correspondence shall be entered into though bribes may be accepted.
          • That such position shall be responsible for the choosing of the Name of the House in which the House resides (Forum Category).
          • That such position comes with it the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Eminence, a title justly reserved solely for the individual who holds this position.
          • That on appointment, The Lord President immediately raises to the House Rank of Marquis or in the event that they are already of that rank or higher, shall move up one rank. In the event that they are of the highest rank, they will be unable to move up any more.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Lord President serves, such individual moves up one House Rank, until they have obtained the highest House Rank and can move up no further. It is the responsibility of the Lord Chancellor to keep record of the period served and make announcement in the Legislative Chamber, bestowing upon The Lord President the new rank, when such event occurs.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Lord President, The Prime Minister shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Lord President has returned or a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Lord President.
          Appointment of The Lord President
          • Nomination Period. When a vacancy in this position becomes available, all Members of the House who hold the rank of Marquis or greater and who would seek such position, must declare publicly in the Legislative Assembly their intent to seek said position within 7 days of the vacancy occuring.
          • Question Period. During the Nomination Period, any Member of the House may question the candidates and the candidates must answer to the best of their ability or offer such bribes as deemed necessary.
          • Voting Period. At the end of the Nomination Period, a vote shall be opened and shall last for 2 days whereby all Members of the House may vote for their candidate of choice.
          • Assumption of Position.
            • At the end of the Voting Period, voting is closed and the candidate with the most votes assumes the position of Lord President.
            • In the event that such vote is a tie, then of the tied candidates, the one who nominated first shall be appointed as The Lord President.
            • In the event that at the end of the Nomination Period, only one nomination is put forward, that person shall immediately assume the role of Lord President.
            • In the event that no nomination is put forward or that no person of appropriate rank is available, the highest ranking Member of the House may assume the position. Should they refuse, the role is offered to the next highest ranking Member of the House and so on until a Member is found who will accept the position.
            • In the event of multiple members holding the same rank and those of that rank being offered the position, the person who has held their rank for the longest period of time shall be offered first and should they refuse, the next member of that rank who has held that rank for the second longest period of time and so on. In the event of two members having the same rank and having been appointed on the same calendar day according to the Records of the House, alphabetical order is followed starting at A and continuing through to Z. As no two members can have the same name, this should be sufficient to find a successor.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, a Lord President serves until such time as they choose to retire, are forced to resign or a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against them and they have been removed from office.
      • Prime Minister.
        • Power and Authority of The Prime Minister
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Prime Minister shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Lord President.
          • That such position bears all the powers of the Governing Body of those below it, as outlined in this Great Charter and that in the event of conflict between an order given by that of a lower position and an order given by The Prime Minister, that The Prime Minister's order shall be upheld and all other conflicting orders disregarded (Veto Power).
          • That Prime Mnister, PM or other such title as one may choose to address The Prime Minister, shall hold authority over all Members of the House with regard to matters pertaining to the House. The Prime Minister's word, failing an over-ruling decision by The Lord President, is final and in such case, shall be regarded as having been a decision made by The Lord President themselves.
          • That such position comes with it the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Excellency, a title justly reserved solely for the individual who holds this position.
          • That on appointment, The Prime Minister advances immediately to the next available House Rank, if such rank is available.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Prime Minister serves, such individual moves up one House Rank, until they have obtained the highest House Rank and can move up no further. It is the responsibility of the Lord Chancellor to keep record of the period served and make announcement in the Legislative Chamber, bestowing upon The Prime Minister the new rank, when such event occurs.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Prime Minister, The High Commissioner shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Prime Minister has returned, a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Prime Minister or an election has been called.
          Calling of an Election
          • If the Prime Minister has been in office for 60 days or more and it has been 60 days or more since an election was last called, any Member of the House may move a Motion to Call an Election in the Legislative Assembly. The Prime Minister at such time may elect to retire from office on the successful appointment of a new Prime Minister, in which case the motion shall pass automatically and an election will be held.
          • If the Prime Minister chooses not to retire, the call for election is debated for 5 days after which debate ends and a period of voting is held for 3 days. If, at the end of the voting period, 75% or more of all Members who voted have vote in favour of an election, the motion is passed and an election shall be held. If the Prime Minister had decided to stay before, he may at this time choose to retire from office once a new candidate has been appointed and if so, be granted such title and Honour as is granted to a retired Prime Minister. Should the Prime Minister choose to stay or otherwise fail to make clear his intention, he will automatically be nominated by the Lord Chancellor for re-election.
          • If the Motion to Call for Election fails to achieve 75% support, the motion is deemed to have failed and the current Prime Minister shall continue to serve until such time as either another Election is called or such member chooses to retire, is forced to resign or leaves office by way of Motion of No Confidence.
          Election of The Prime Minister
          • Nomination Period. When a vacancy in this position becomes available or an election has been called, all Members of the House who would seek such position, excepting the serving Lord President (unless they first retire, resign or otherwise leave office), must declare publicly in the Legislative Assembly their intent to seek said position within 7 days of the vacancy occuring. This period shall be known as the Nomination Period. During this period any Member of the House may question the Nominees about their intentions as Prime Minister and the Nominees must answer each question to the best of their ability or offer bribes as necessary.
          • In the event that The Lord President's office is or becomes vacant at the same time as the Prime Minister's office, The Lord President's office shall be dealt with first and a successor found before the appointment of the Prime Minister can continue.
          • Support of Nomination. During the Nomination Period, such nomination must gain at least a final value of 20 Declarations of Support or it shall be deemed to have failed. Each Member of the House may declare their support for any one nomination, with such support adding to the tally according to that Member's House Rank as outlined below.
            • Lord President: 20 Votes (NOTE: House Rank of The Lord President is disregarded in this instance).
            • Grand Duke: 10 Votes.
            • Duke: 9 Votes.
            • Grand Marquis: 8 Votes.
            • Marquis: 7 Votes.
            • Lord Count: 6 Votes.
            • Count: 5 Votes.
            • Earl: 4 Votes.
            • Viscount: 3 Votes.
            • Baron: 2 Votes.
            • Lord: 1 Votes.
            The Nominee's own value according to their House Rank shall also be included in this tally. By way of example, a Lord may nominate and The Lord President may declare their support for that Nominee. As The Lord President's support holds a value of 20 and the Nominee's own rank of Lord grants them a value of 1, such Nomination shall be deemed to have been successful with a tally of 21, 1 vote greater than the 20 required. Alternatively, a Nominee may gain the support of twenty Lords and, having each the value of 1 and therefore a total of 20, shall have such Nomination deemed successful. Any combination of support may also be acquired, such as a Marquis Nominating and having the support of one Count and two Earls.
          • It is the duty of the Lord Chancellor to tally the votes for each nomination at the end of the Nomination Period and if a value of 20 has been reached after all votes for and against have been counted, declare the nomination successful. Should any Member have declared support for two or more candidates, their support shall be deemed invalid and shall be declared as such by the Lord Chancellor and their vote removed from all tallies accordingly.
          • Should the serving Prime Minister choose to nominate, such nomination shall be immediately accepted regardless of the tally and no Statements Againt or in Support need be counted for such person.
          • Statement Against Nomination. Any Member of the House may choose to make a statement against a Nominee. Such statement will carry with it a subtraction of that Members vote value. As example, should a Count make a Statement Against, their vote value of 5 is subtracted from that Nominee's tally, meaning that such Nominee must now obtain more Statements of Support in order to counter said subtraction. A Member may only choose to either Support or make a Statement Against any one nominee. They may not do both. By way of example, any Member may choose to support a Nomination, in which event they are unable to make a Statement Against, or in Support of, any other Nomination.
          • As exception to the above rule, The Lord President may, in the interests of fair and open elections, support the nomination of several candidates if they should so choose. Nominees are encouraged to bribe the Lord President with such offers of Foreign Aid as may be accepted. Note that The Lord President is the only such Member who may support more than one candidate. Should The Lord President support any candidate, they may not make Statements Against any nomination. As such The Lord President is limited to either supporting one or more candidates or alternatively, choosing instead to make a Statement Against one candidate's Nomination.
          • Appointment of the Prime Minister.
            • Should none of the Nominees gain the required support before the Nomination Period ends, the Nominee with the most support shall be declared successful and shall immediately assume the Office of Prime Minister and all the priviledges there-of.
            • If only one nomination has been successful, the successful Nominee shall be granted the Office of Prime Minister and have such power and authority bestowed upon them as is granted such position.
            • In the event that at the close of the Nomination Period no candidate has nominated, it is the duty of The Lord President to offer to a Member of the House that he deems worthy, the Office of Prime Minister. Should such Member accept, they will immediately assume the Office of Prime Minister. Should such person decline, The Lord President must make the offer to another Member of the House that they deem fit and proper, until such time as a Member is found who will accept the position.
            • In the event of two or more candidates having less than the required support and there being a tied tally, with no candidate with a greater tally, all such tied nominations shall be declared as successful nominations, in which case there will follow a poll.
            • If multiple nominations have been successful in nominating, the candidates names shall be listed in a poll by the Lord Chancellor and for a Voting Period of 2 days, all Members of the House may vote for their preferred candidate of choice. During this period, candidates are encouraged to make such statement or bribes as they deem necessary, including the offering of Cabinet positions, in order to encourage Members to vote for them and not any other candidate. At the end of the voting period, the candidate with the most votes shall assume the Office of Prime Minister and all the powers, authority and title granted to such Office.
            • If at the end of the Voting Period there is a tie between two or more of the leading candidates, The Lord President shall pick one of the tied candidates as he deems worthy and at that time, such candidate shall assume the Office of Prime Minister and all the power and authority there-of.
          Formation of Cabinet
          • Once a Prime Minister has been appointed to Office, they must formally propose a Cabinet to the Legislative Assembly. A Cabinet is whereby the Prime Minister nominates Members of the House to serve in the postions of Field Marshal, High Commissioner and Exchequer as necessary.
          • It is the duty of the Lord Chancellor to ensure that each Member nominated for a position in Cabinet meets the requirements of that position and if so, declares such nomination acceptable or unacceptable as the case may be. If a proposed Cabinet is declared unacceptable, the Prime Minister must propose another Cabinet with corrections as necesssary.
          • If a proposed Cabinet has been declared by the Lord Chancellor to meet the necessary requirements, such Cabinet will be put to a vote of the Legislative Assembly. The vote will last for 3 days from the date of the Lord Chancellor's declaration.
          • If, at the end of the Voting Period, the proposed Cabinet has received a majority of support from all votes cast, the Cabinet will be accepted and the nominated individuals shall assume the positions of Office for which they have been nominated.
          • If, at the end of the Voting Period, a proposed Cabinet has failed to achieve the necessary majority support of all votes cast, the Prime Minister must propose a new Cabinet which, once deemed acceptable by the Lord Chancellor, shall be put to the vote again for another period of 3 days.
          • Should the Prime Minister fail three times in a row in having a proposed Cabinet accepted by the Legistalive Assembly, The Lord President shall appoint such people to Cabinet as he deems worthy and which meet the necessary requirements for the positions for which they are appointed.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, the Prime Minister serves until such time as they choose to retire, are forced to resign, a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against them and they have been removed from office or an Election has been successful and another Member has been appointed to the position.
      • High Commissioner.
        • Power and Authority of the High Commissioner
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of High Commissioner shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Prime Minister.
          • That such position is responsible for representing and speaking for The House of Lords abroad and particularly when The House is in discussion with other Alliances. The High Commissioner is also authorised to make such negotiations with Alliances as is necessary, according to the laws and ideals within this Great Charter or as ordered to by someone of higher authority.
          • That The High Commissioner may appoint under them such Ambassadors, Diplomats, Negotiators or similar positions as they deem is required in order to ensure good and friendly relations with other Alliances. These persons shall then have such power as is granted to them by The High Commissioner but their powers shall not exceed those of The High Commissioner. Furthermore, these persons may be dismissed at any time by The High Commissioner.
          • That on appointment, The High Commissioner has bestowed upon them the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Benevolence or in the event that such Member already holds that or a higher Honour, advances to the next available Diplomatic Honour.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The High Commissioner serves, such individual advances to the next Diplomatic Honour, until such time as they have obtained the highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour in which case they shall advance no more.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The High Commissioner, The Prime Minister shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The High Commissioner has returned, a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent High Commissioner or an election has been called.
          Appointment of the High Commissioner
          • At such time as there is a vacancy in The High Commissioner's Office and an election has not been called, The Prime Minister shall seek out a Member of the House who holds the rank of Count or greater and who is willing to take on such position.
          • If an election has been called, the position shall be filled by method of that outlined previously in this document.
          • That once such person is found, The Prime Minister shall announce such to the Legislative Assembly, seeking the approval of all Members of the House by way of poll.
          • That such poll shall stand for 5 days, during which any Member of the House may vote "Aye" or "Nay" in support or against of the proposed nomination.
          • That, if at the end of 5 days, the poll shows 75% or greater votes in favour of the nomination, that such candidate shall be accepted and have bestowed upon them the Official Title, power and authority of The High Commissioner.
          • If, at the close of the voting period, such poll has not achieved 75% support or greater, The Prime Minister must seek out and nominate another acceptable candidate and the process shall continue until such candidate is found and is accepted by Members of the House.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, The High Commissioner serves until such time as they choose to retire, resign, are forced out of Office by way of Motion of No Confidence or an election has been called and a new Member appointed in their place.
      • Field Marshal.
        • Power and Authority of the Field Marshal
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Field Marshal shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Prime Minister.
          • That such position is responsible for representing and organising The House of Lords in all military actions. The Field Marshal is authorised to make such orders or demands upon Members of the House as they deem necessary, provided such orders do not conflict with provisions made within this Great Charter.
          • That The Field Marshal may appoint under them such Generals, Colonels, Lieutenants or other similar positions as they deem is required in order to ensure the adequate defence of the House. These persons shall then have such power as is granted to them by The Field Marshal but their powers shall not exceed those of The Field Marshal. Furthermore, these persons may be dismissed at any time by The Field Marshal.
          • That on appointment, The Field Marshal has bestowed upon them the Military Honour of The Most Respected or in the event that such Member already holds that or a higher Honour, advances to the next available Military Honour.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Field Marshal serves, such individual advances to the next Military Honour, until such time as they have obtained the highest Military Honour in which case they shall advance no more.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Field Marshal, The Prime Minister shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Field Marshal has returned, a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Field Marshal or an election has been called.
          Appointment of the Field Marshal
          • At such time as there is a vacancy in The Field Marshal's Office and an election has not been called, The Prime Minister shall seek out a Member of the House who holds the rank of Baron or greater and who is willing to take on such position.
          • If an election has been called, the position shall be filled by method of that outlined previously in this document.
          • That once such person is found, The Prime Minister shall announce such to the Legislative Assembly, seeking the approval of all Members of the House by way of poll.
          • That such poll shall stand for 5 days, during which any Member of the House may vote "Aye" or "Nay" in support or against of the proposed nomination.
          • That, if at the end of 5 days, the poll shows 75% or greater votes in favour of the nomination, that such candidate shall be accepted and have bestowed upon them the Official Title, power and authority of The Field Marshal.
          • If, at the close of the voting period, such poll has not achieved 75% support or greater, The Prime Minister must seek out and nominate another acceptable candidate and the process shall continue until such candidate is found and is accepted by Members of the House.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, The Field Marshal serves until such time as they choose to retire, resign, are forced out of Office by way of Motion of No Confidence or an election has been called and a new Member appointed in their place.
      • Exchequer.
        • Power and Authority of the Exchequer
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Exchequer shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Prime Minister.
          • That such position is responsible for assisting Members of the House in the good running of their States by providing or organising access to such advice, information and aid as is necessary in order to ensure strong growth of The House of Lords.
          • That The Exchequer may appoint under them such persons with appropriate title as they deem is required, in order to ensure the efficient gathering or dispersion of such information and assistance. These persons shall then have such power as is granted to them by The Exchequer but their powers shall not exceed those of The Exchequer. Furthermore, these persons may be dismissed at any time by The Exchequer.
          • That on appointment, The Exchequer advances to the next available Diplomatic Honour for their service to the House.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Exchequer serves, such individual advances to the next Diplomatic Honour, until such time as they have obtained the highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour in which case they shall advance no more.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Exchequer, The Prime Minister shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Exchequer has returned, a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Exchequer or an election has been called.
          Appointment of the Exchequer
          • At such time as there is a vacancy in The Exchequer's Office and an election has not been called, The Prime Minister shall seek out any Member of the House who is willing to take on such position.
          • That, if at the end of 5 days, the poll shows 75% or greater votes in favour of the nomination, that such candidate shall be accepted and have bestowed upon them the Official Title, power and authority of The Exchequer.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, The Exchequer serves until such time as they choose to retire, resign, are forced out of Office by way of Motion of No Confidence or an election has been called and a new Member appointed in their place.
      • Lord Chancellor.
        • Power and Authority of The Lord Chancellor
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Lord Chancellor shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Lord President.
          • That such position is responsible for performing such duties as outlined in this document, known as the Great Charter, and that all Members of the House uphold the values, ideals and laws as outlined there-in.
          • That The Lord Chancellor, if requested by any Member of the House, is responsible for interpreting the Great Charter and giving such ruling as is deemed appropriate in order to uphold the values and ideals outlined here-in.
          • That on appointment, The Lord Chancellor advances immediately to the next available House Rank, if such rank is available.
          • That also on appointment, such position is granted the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Virtuousness or in the event that such Member already holds such Honour or greater, advances to the next available Diplomatic Honour.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Lord Chancellor serves, such individual advances to the next Diplomatic Honour, until they have obtained the highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour. When such event occurs, it is the responsibility of the Lord Chancellor to inform The Prime Minister or The Lord President, who shall then bestow upon The Lord Chancellor such Honour as they have earned by way of announcement in the Legislative Assembly.
          • That The Lord Chancellor must keep record of such time and events that result in the granting of title, rank or honour and, with the exception of matters pertaining to his own advancement, shall be responsible for declaring to the House the granting of such new honour, rank or title upon Members.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Lord Chancellor, The Master of the Household shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Lord Chancellor has returned or a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Lord Chancellor.
          Appointment of the Lord Chancellor
          • At such time as there is a vacancy in The Lord Chancellor's Office, The Lord President shall seek out a Member of the House who holds the rank of Earl or greater and who is willing to take on such position.
          • That once such person is found, The Lord President shall announce such to the Legislative Assembly, seeking the approval of all Members of the House by way of poll.
          • That, if at the end of 5 days, the poll shows 75% or greater votes in favour of the nomination, that such candidate shall be accepted and have bestowed upon them the Official Title, power and authority of The Lord Chancellor.
          • If, at the close of the voting period, such poll has not achieved 75% support or greater, The Lord President must seek out and nominate another acceptable candidate and the process shall continue until such candidate is found and is accepted by Members of the House.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, The Lord Chancellor serves until such time as they choose to retire, resign or are forced out of Office by way of Motion of No Confidence.
      • Master of the Household.
        • Power and Authority of The Master of the Household
          • Let it be known that a position with the Official Title of Master of the Household shall be established and that such position serves directly under The Lord Chancellor.
          • That such position is responsible for assisting The Lord Chancellor in the effective functioning and running of the House as outlined within the Great Charter. This includes, but is not limited to, the maintenance of accurate Member records, including House Rank, Official Title, Diplomatic Honour, Military Honour and other such title as necessary as well as ensuring that the function and structure of the House are adequate for Member needs.
          • That on appointment, The Master of the Household advances to the next available Diplomatic Honour for their service to the House.
          • That for every continuous 90 day period of office The Master of the Household serves, such individual advances to the next Diplomatic Honour, until such time as they have obtained the highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour in which case they shall advance no more.
          • In the absence or otherwise unavailability of The Master of the Household, The Lord Chancellor shall assume such responsibility temporarily until either The Master of the Household has returned or a Motion of No Confidence has been passed against the absent Master of the Household.
          Appointment of the Master of the Household
          • At such time as there is a vacancy in The Master of the Household's Office, The Lord Chancellor shall seek out any Member of the House who is willing to take on such position.
          • That once such person is found, The Lord Chancellor shall announce such to the Legislative Assembly, seeking the approval of all Members of the House by way of poll.
          • That, if at the end of 5 days, the poll shows 75% or greater votes in favour of the nomination, that such candidate shall be accepted and have bestowed upon them the Official Title, power and authority of The Master of the Household.
          • If, at the close of the voting period, such poll has not achieved 75% support or greater, The Lord Chancellor must seek out and nominate another acceptable candidate and the process shall continue until such candidate is found and is accepted by Members of the House.
          Duration of Service
          • Once appointed, The Master of the Household serves until such time as they choose to retire, resign or are forced out of Office by way of Motion of No Confidence.

Retirement of an Office Holder
        • Announcement. Any Member of the Governing Body, if having held office for a period of 60 days or greater, no longer wishes to serve, may choose to retire from said position by way of announcement in the Legislative Assembly. Such position shall then be considered vacant from the time of announcement and a new Member appointed as per the rules governing that position.
        • Title. Upon retirement, the retiring Member loses the Official Title of their office. However, any such Member maintains any and all House Rank, Honour or other such Title as has been bestowed upon them, except in the circumstances specifically stated below:
          • Should The Lord President retire, then such Member upon retirement, loses the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Eminence and assumes the highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Illustriousness.
          • Should The Prime Minister retire, then such Member upon retirement loses the Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Excellency and assumes the second highest non-reserved Diplomatic Honour of His or Her Magnificence. However, in the event that such Member held a higher Diplomatic Honour before their appointment to the Prime Ministership, such Member re-assumes that Honour.
        • Powers. At such time as an announcement of retirement is made, such Office Holder shall be removed of all the Powers of Office.
        • Re-Appointment. Once retired, an individual who previously held a position of Office may not be offered, appointed to or stand for that position again, until at least a period of 60 days has passed from the date of said retirement or a Motion of Acceptance has been presented and passed in the Legislative Assembly. They may however, if such opportunity presents itself according to the laws of this Great Charter, seek and obtain any other role within the Governing Body without such motion during that time.

Resignation of an Office Holder
        • Announcement. Any Member of the Governing Body, having held office for a period of less than 60 days or having been forced by way of Motion of No Confidence, may resign from such position by way of announcement in the Legislative Assembly.
        • Title. Upon resignation, the resigning Member loses all Diplomatic Honour, House Rank and other such titles bestowed upon them during their time of service and reverts to such Honour and Rank as they held before they obtained said position. It is the duty of the Lord Chancellor to keep record of all such honour and rank in the event of this occurance.
        • Powers. At such time as an announcement is made, the resigning Member shall be removed of all the Powers of Office.
        • Re-Appointment. Once resigned, an individual who previously held a position of Office may not be offered, appointed to or stand for any Position of Office again, until at least a period of 60 days has passed from the date of said resignation or a Motion of Acceptance has been presented and passed in the Legislative Assembly. They may not, if such opportunity presents itself according to the laws of this Great Charter, seek out or obtain any role within the Governing Body until either such time or motion have passed.

Dismissal of an Office Holder
        • Motion of No Confidence. Any Member of the House may, at any time, move a Motion of No Confidence in an Office Holder should they feel said Office Holder has failed to uphold the ideals, values and / or duties of office as outlined in this Great Charter. At such time the Office Holder shall be subject to the rules and procedures according to the section on Motions of No Confidence outlined in this document.
      The above detail is represented by the following Organisation Chart made in SmartDraw 2007 because we bought the thing so we may as bloody well use it:
      [​IMG]

• The Attainment of House Rank

The House of Lords rewards its Members for their service to the House with such rank and respect as they so deserve. All who join the House are initially appointed with the rank of Lord or Lady and shall advance in rank as per the procedures ordained within this Great Charter. The ranks of the House of Lords are as follows:
      • Grand Duke / Grand Duchess: These are the most respected Members of the House who through service have been deemed worthy of the greatest title the House may bestow upon them. Grand Dukes are the only rank to be officially numbered whereby each person who attains such rank receives the rank of "(Order) Grand Duke of the House". For example, the first Member appointed to such rank would be "1st Grand Duke of the House", the second Member would be "2nd Grand Duke of the House" and so on.
      • Duke / Duchess
      • Grand Marquis / Grand Marquise
      • Marquis / Marquise: Those who attain the rank of Marquis have shown themselves to be of the highest calibre and worthy of such honour and respect that only from amongst their ranks or above may a Lord President be chosen.
      • Lord Count / Lord Countess
      • Count / Countess
      • Earl / Lady Earl
      • Viscount / Viscountess
      • Baron / Baroness
      • Lord / Lady: All individuals whom join The House of Lords are granted immediate Lord or Lady status in recognition of their status as ruler of their own land.
      The Lord President may nominate any Member of the House for any House Rank and put such nomination before the House. Should 75% or more of all votes received be in favour of the Member attaining such title, it shall be granted.

Any Member of the House may nominate a Member with lower rank to advance to the next rank. By way of example, a Baron may nominate a Lord for advancement to the rank of Baron or a Count may nominate anyone of a lower rank to advancement of the next rank up to and including Count. At such time a nomination is put to the House and is voted upon by all Members. Should 75% or more of all votes be in favour of such nomination, then said rank shall be bestowed upon such Member.

A Member may only be nominated for advancement of rank when they have performed such service to the House as is deserving of such recognition. The reason for the nomination must be clearly stated in the Member's nomination thread. Failing any mention of why such Member is deserving, The Lord Chancellor must rule the nomination to be disallowed.

• Diplomatic Honours

Diplomatic Honours are bestowed upon Members, who through their service to the House have shown themselves to be worthy of such regard.
      • Eminence: This is a special honour, reserved solely for the serving Lord President.
      • Excellency: This is a special honour, reserved solely for the serving Prime Minister.
      • Illustriousness
      • Magnificence
      • Exaltedness
      • Grace
      • Magnanimous
      • Benevolence
      • Virtuousness
      • Generousness
      • Worthiness
      • Stateliness
      • Sovereignty
      Diplomatic Honours are always preceded with "His" or "Her", depending on the Members gender.

Upon being granted Membership to the House, all Members are granted the Diplomatic Honour of "Sovereignty" as recognition of their service to their own people.

Only the High Commissioner, Prime Minister or Lord President may nominate a Member for advancement in Diplomatic Honour. At such time as a Member has been deemed worthy, a nomination is put forward in the Legislative Assembly. All Members of the House are then allowed to vote in favour of or against such proposal and, if of the votes cast, 75% or more are in favour of the proposal, the Member shall be granted such Honour as they have been nominated for.

Honours need not be appointed in order as, from time to time, a Member may perform a deed so worthy that they should be honoured more highly and as such, may skip one or several Honours in order.

As a guide, appropriate reasons for nominating Members may include but are not limited to: recognition of prior service to another Alliance of which the House has such agreement; successfully negotiating the payment of reparations; providing helpful or useful assistance and advice to fellow Members; establishing good relations with another Alliance or maintaining good relations with the community at large.

• Military Honours

From time to time, the House may be involved in conflict. It is at, though not limited to, this time that Members may, through their military service, be granted such honour as is worthy of their deeds. The available Military Honours are listed as follows, in order from the highest honour to the lowest:
      • Most Admired
      • Most Esteemed
      • Most Revered
      • Revered
      • Most Respected
      • Respected
      • Most Venerable
      • Right Venerable
      • Venerable
      • Most Noble
      • Right Noble
      • Noble
      • Most Honourable
      • Right Honourable
      • Honourable
      Military Honours are always preceded with "The".

Upon being granted Membership to the House, all Members are granted the Military Honour of "The Honourable" as recognition of their duty as primary defender of their own people.

Only the Field Marshal, Prime Minister or Lord President may nominate a Member for advancement in Military Honour. At such time as a Member has been deemed worthy, a nomination is put forward in the Legislative Assembly. All Members of the House are then allowed to vote in favour of or against such proposal and, if of the votes cast, 75% or more are in favour of the proposal, the Member shall be granted such Honour as they have been nominated for.

Honours need not be appointed in order as, from time to time, a Member may perform a deed so worthy that they should be honoured more highly and as such, may skip one or several Honours in order.

As a guide, appropriate reasons for nominating Members may include but are not limited to: recognition of prior service to another Alliance of which the House has such agreement; the attainment of a certain Nation Strength; attainment of Nuclear Capability; the purchase of a certain level of aircraft; vigourous defence of the House; standing firm in the face of adversity or coming to the defence of a fellow Member.

• Self-Appointed Titles

It is the duty of each Member of the House to determine how they should be addressed when it comes to their position as the ruler of their own State. Whether such title is President, King or other is left up to the Member. Should any Member not declare such title, they will be refered to where necessary as "Ruler" in the form "Ruler of [Name of State]".

19. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well the first word that comes to mind is 'Thorough'.

But this is so big that maybe it should be a seperate document to the Charter.

20. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Separate when posted on the CN forum, certainly, or nobody'll read the thing -- which would be a shame, seeing as how good it is. But perhaps the bits about the rank system(s) should be in appendices, amendments, or whatever?

Our Host!