The Great Adventure Discussion

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Flink, May 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Resident Master Vampire

Resident Master Vampire New Member

Thanx.

Yes, I can be there when you wish.
    I have read throught. You just accepted a mysterious dwarf into your party.

Name: Tendlinus Ployer Longroot
    Race: Elf

Description: Hair - light brown/almond coloured
    Eyes - golden, shrewd
    Complexion - dark for an elf
    Built - tall and lean, very delicate, almost feminine shape
    Clothing - breeches or just a toga-like cloth, elven boots, an amulet that was a gift by the queen of the elves. A green cloak of nature is put on hot or cold days. A belt with pouches hung upon to store ingredients for potions.
    Others: Keeps a (improved)staff of the shaman.
    He is generally even-tempered. A gentleman. But when his temper gets out of hand, he is as violent as the monsoon gales.
    He treats friends well, except that if needed, he might use them. He is suspicious and curious, more so than others.

Skills:Expert in persuasion. Necromancer(white), Nature magic, Air magic and a little talent in divination, enchanting, potion-making and summoning(animals). Dodge apprentice. Not too bad with the bow. A poet and researcher at heart.

Inventory: A lifes work of potions. Documents signed by the queen of elves and her daughter. An elven bow and a quiver full of arrows :lol: Three elfstones defensive, offensive and neutral.

Background: Sent as an ambassador, explorer and missionary to Tarant, Caladon, Stillwater and finally Tulla, by the queen(wisewoman :) ) and Princess Raven(beautiful :D ). Made aquaintances with Council Members and researchers at Tarant. Warm welcome by the Caldonians. Stayed at Stillwater for quite awhile because of dwarven interest.

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Not too bad. Just a few things before I ratify this character though.

What do you mean by improved? I'd rather you used standard equipment anyway. For now at least. Maybe later in the thread you can get custom stuff, but we've only just started.

This is also a bit too powerful. This basically describes a level 30 player! Could you please town it down a little so you're around level 10-15. Competant, but not too strong. Perhaps just cut down the number of colleges of magick that you know.

And one last thing. What on earth are 'Elfstones'? I've never heard of them in Arcanum before....

Other than that, the character is fine. Just a little overpowered for the start, that's all. :)

3. Resident Master Vampire

You're right of course.
    But I'd like to remind you that I'm 220 years old.
    And I started out for Tarant at a very young age. About 100 years old.

A few amendments.
    Staff of the shaman.
    I have not mastered any of the magics yet.
    When I say a little talent, I mean I've had visions before(my divination are visions given by animals - I'm an elven nature mage), enchanting is from my air magic, potion-making is from necro and nature, and my summoning is from nature. That's why I say a little talent.
    Not too bad with the bow - I don't have any skills in that, its just that elves are naturals.
    Expert in persuasion - I'm an ambassador.

Well they're not exactly from Arcanum but in Arcanum, there is so little mentioned about elves, the main character is not from Qintarra, ...
    So I added them in.
    You can find them in several fantasy books to date.
    They were given by the queen, because I was leaving at such a young age, Raven was concerned about my safety.
    They're enchanted stones: protects against undead and demons, not living beings. The defensive protects, the offensive destroys if they get too close and the neutral informs that there is danger nearby.
    They have to be together to work and causes the protected individual to lose consciousness.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Since this is an Arcanum thread I'd like to keep everything true to Arcanum. As such, I don't want you using things that are not found in Arcanum, such as the improved Shaman staff and the Elfstones. Also, I don't want you making up and using new spells etc. since that is unfair to everybody else, who are using predefined concepts, as they should.

This applies to your spells and use of the spells and colleges. If you want divination then you're going to have to take the divination college. There is no enchanting, so that's out. You can't take potion making from Necro and nature, since they don't exist and if you want summoning you'll have to take the summoning college.

Therefore, if you want all of these abilities then you'll be too high and thus have to tone down the character. You can be a necromancer, air mage, nature mage and summon mage if you like, but you're only going to have a max of two spells from each college and you will only have the spells from Arcanum.

It's up to you, but please use only what is available.

5. Resident Master Vampire

OK, I yield to the might of the great ferret. :lol:

Second amendment.
    I'm sure a level... say a lvl 5 character can get that.
    I hope lvl 5 characters ARE allowed. Or do I have to be a 600 year old elf to do that? :-(

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Name: Tendlinus Ployer Longroot
    Race: Elf

Description:
    Hair - light brown/almond coloured
    Eyes - golden, shrewd
    Complexion - dark for an elf
    Build - tall and lean, very delicate, almost feminine shape

Personality:
    He is generally even-tempered. A gentleman. But when his temper gets out of hand, he is as violent as the monsoon gales.

He treats friends well, except that if needed, he might use them. He is suspicious and curious, more so than others.

A poet and researcher at heart.

Skills:Expert in persuasion.

Low level White Necromancer
    Low level Air Mage
    Low level Nature Mage
    Persuasion Expert and very Charismatic
    Competent, if not adept at handling a bow.

Equipment:

Clothing - Breeches or just a toga-like cloth, Elven boots, an amulet that was a gift by the Silver Lady. A green cloak of nature for hot or cold days. A belt with pouches hung upon to store ingredients for potions.

He also carries a Shaman Staff, a lifes work of potions and documents signed by the Silver Lady herself and her daughter, Raven.

He also keeps an Elven bow and a quiver full of arrows.

Background: Sent as an ambassador, explorer and missionary to Tarant, Caladon, Stillwater and finally Tulla, by the Silver Lady and Princess Raven. Made aquaintances with Council Members and researchers at Tarant. Warm welcome by the Caldonians. Stayed at Stillwater for quite awhile because of Dwarven interest.

There you go. I hope that's OK. The character itself is fine. It was just the custom items and spell abilities I didn't want in there. No need to state exactly what level you are at each college or exactly what your stats are. We're RPing here, not playing the game. It's enough to just state that he is very charismatic and has some skills in each college and weapon skills etc.

7. Resident Master Vampire

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Go ahead. :)

I've PMed you, but it took longer writing it than I thought so ignore some of it. :roll:

9. Resident Master Vampire

"Your wish is my command," I said in a flat serious tone. Then, as if on second thought, I reached down and scratched the furry ferret behind the ears.

I hope you don't mind me using some lines straight from your message.

Thank you for bearing with me here. I'll try harder to give detail.
    A ferret snack is produced and flung into the air. The ferret immediatelly snapped it into it's mouth and began to munch with utmost ferocity. :eek:

I realise I have cut it short. I hope you don't mind me dreaming and getting cursed. :D

10. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It's fine by me that you used it. It was kind of there for you to use anyway. :)

You can dream and get cursed all you like, but try to be in good enough shape for when we arrive. We don't want TWO dragon-men to look after. :lol:

If you ever need any help or advice just PM me. I'll be glad to help. It's not easy being a new roleplayer and many DMs out there don't have the tolerance for people trying to learn, which kind of stops people learning really.

I'm happy to RP with new people and it's nice to be able to teach them some nice tricks and styles. The only people I don't like RPing with are those that have been RPing for ages and are still worse than useless. Those are few and far between though and your posts are good to start with anyway. :)

One other thing. Please don't use yellow either. None of the brighter colours are easy to see on the subsilver background. The one I used in my PM was gold, and that's like yellow but dark enough to be able to read on the subsilver background and easily light enough to read on the TA scheme. Choosing colours can be a little tricky when there are lots of people using them, but there should be a few out there that work well on both backgrounds.

Some other colours that work well are grey, brown and darkgrey. Actually, since it's American, it might be gray and darkgray.

You've still got a few 'thread days' to kill yet before we arrive, so play around a bit. Introduce your character to us a bit so we know how you'll react if we write anything concerning you.

And thanks for the snack and cuddle. :D

11. Resident Master Vampire

Flink, VZV, Phoenix, Icairus. WHERE ARE YOU?! :???:

Can you start now? :)

Or have you given up? :-(

12. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well, we need, say Ferret, who is kinda the leader of the thread to move the story along. Then the rest of us will come in.

13. Resident Master Vampire

Ferret, would you like to begin? :)

I remember something about camp, so why don't you all get moving? :-?

Or is my memory failing? :lol:

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Ferret has said that we will have one more encounter and one more camp before we get to Stillwater. Ferret, can that be today or tomorrow? VerZreV, can we do what we talked about at that point? You can PM me or talk to me on AIM so we can work out the exact details.

15. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Sorry for the delay everybody. I'll try to get it moving soon - we've broken camp and we're leaving right now so I just need to write the story bit where we actually do some more travel and have an encounter.

However, I've been VERY VERY busy recently with work and I'll be snowed under until at least this weekend. If I'm lucky then I'll be able to write something later this week. I'll make a point of writing something this weekend though if I don't get around to it sooner so please bear with me.

Be patient. Only Icairus has abandoned us so far....

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I'm just in a rush to get through what I talked about with VerZreV because I'm going to be disappearing on Saturday.

17. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

SORRY !!! I was on vacation.... let's see if i can save the thread... :eek:

18. Resident Master Vampire

Yes, please do! Quickly too. :)

Try jumpstarting it and when you reach Stillwater, I can jump in. 8)

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I guess I really ought to start the thread moving again. I'm afraid it sort of got sidelined for a while. I'll see what I can do to get it going again in a little while....

20. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

during my journey to hardin's pass I came across a camp of, it looks like undecided travellers. they have the look of 'what do we do next'.

I wondered if I should introduce myself, but they looked at me with disfavor. I was just a little half elf ugly stick kind of person. I had forgot about using my beauty skill on any encounters so I turned away from the party and saw the adventurers smile and saying good riddins to me.

I walked a little ways giving them the impression of leaving them alone. I put 2 beauty spells on myself and returned to their camp. They were now very pleased to see another fellow traveler. I really wasn't too sure who was the boss but with my expert persuation (4 ranks) and 20 cha, I was sure that I would be directed to their leader.

When I introduced myself as Parmanian, they all had a puzzled looks on their faces. They were overwhelmed with my aura that they couldn't speak. Then I asked to talk to the leader, they all looked at each other in amazement and said 'leader' (thinking) (thinking again) One man said to me Parmanian we are a little confused being on the trail to Hardins pass via the town of stillwater, that it doesn't look like we have a leader at all.

From looking at the group it was plain to see that they were correct. It was like each of them were waiting for the other to jump in and suggest what they should do next. Then a female arose and said 'yes' we should move away from the campfire and sustain from telling war stories and get on with our mission at hand.

I had told them that I knew where hardin's pass was because of the map I had acquired a ways back. At that time I just knew it was a way to the other unforseen side of this wretched mountain that I had been following for days now.

They wanted me to show them my map, but being a cautious traveller, I denied them. You see I had no idea of their intentions and what their ultimate goal was so I said I was not that sure that I wanted to divulge this information at this time.

They pleaded with me for the information but their plea seemed self-centered like it was for their own good only. This made me very suspicious and I told them I would have to meditate on the offer and return if I changed my mind.

I walked away from their camp and could see them huddled around the fire talking about something, but I couldn't hear them. I did notice that their faces were more intense with the idea that their quest could continue if they had this strangers help.

I continued to the west and pondered what I should do now.

to be continued! maybe!

Our Host!