The Car.Every technologist needs wheels.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Oct 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Great concept, what advantages will the car grant to a technologist? Will it be instant transportation or just a much faster one with lower chances of random encounters? How, where and when will you get it?

One more things - the one in screenshots is just plain ulgy. Is that a test version only or do you intend it too look that way?

EDIT - I want Highwayman ;)

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    What stats does it come with? Seeing as it is a follower and all that, can it actually participate in fights?

A car that mows people down at its' own will... reminds me of Herbie :lol:

And... does it use the teleport spell or does it make use of the same scripts as ships and trains? Or did you invent something cheesy of your own?

Oh, and if you know some way to include a car that can turn 360 degrees and be viewed at from different directions, please do. :)

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Ohh wow, that's what I call a brilliant idea. So good to know that I'm about to get a normal, patcheable Arcanum and will be able to play your mod Chris.
    Frankly, I don't care THAT much about transportation speed. What I am more interested to know is if you can stash your stuff in your car, and how much? Does it take a follower slot? Can you run monsters over with it or shoot from inside the car? Am I getting too carried away with my ideas?

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Awesome. Can you sleep in Car? If Magnus get's some dwarven snuff and a large pipe, does smoke come out of the windows? Definately would be great for the magic tech balance, only thing is, can you make sure it can't fly if your using the teleport spell? In 1885 they didn't have 4 wheel drive, so I don't think it could pull off crossing the mountains. All in all a great idea though.

I hate to stoop to graphics, and I know you try your hardest, but if you could try and get an older car model. Like the first Ford make or something like that.

6. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

sounds great chris. keep 'em coming! :thumbup: :)

7. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

The car has the same size inventory but it can carry up to 30K stones in weight.

3 times as much as the stronger creature.

Sorry about the inventory size cannot help it.

Oh and it will be a free follower of course.

You will also avoid most random encounters

You will also get a reputation as the owner of the only car in Arcanum much like the owner of the gate mansion.

The car does not fight of course and cannot be damaged but you will get other advantages as well when the car is with you in the world map.

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Can you not give it the size of inventory equal to that of a barrel or a chest?

9. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

As the car is not moving, could you perhaps, in order to avoid all those "How does it get past mountains?" questions, change it to a balloon with and attached chest? Mini-blimp would be probably too much.

10. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

NEGATIVE.

you will be able to paint it however.

Look here.

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?233@P ... =.eff9aa96

Finally bad news. If you think that the car looks well bad then your best bet is a pro artist.

It is a 256 bmp 162*110 image and the pro artist must do it for free and give my the copyright or release it in public domain ( very unlikely).

/EDIT

reduced saturation in some of the images and fixed the right window that went too far.

11. xento

xento New Member

It's very tough to make stuff like that work well in Arcanum, because it uses a sprites engine, instead of a 3D engine, so it would need a sprite for every direction for the car in order for it to turn like a character.

How does the car work? Is it a teleport-scripted object, or does it move via ordering direction, like a PC?

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

all i want to know is can you hotbox in it?

jk

what i really want to know is why did you have to make it pink? I'm pretty secure when it comes to my sexuality but i dont know about magnus.

plus your link doesnt work, it says no such attachment... could you paste in a picture of a car? like say... a bmp of a pinto? or the 1960's batman tv saeries batmobile? if so, then i want to marry you chrisbeddoes. you are one special guy <swoon> :lol: but seriously, you rock.

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

14. Silvara

Silvara New Member

That was loads better! Pity that in the follower icon and selection window it's still pinky, but those are minor details. Cool DU :) :razz: 3:) :hippy:

15. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Do not worry . This will be fixed of course.
    edit / Just fixed it.

Oh and Silvara . This is my work . DU just reposted my image..

16. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Damn! There goes my evil plan to take credit for it all. MUAHAHAHHA!!!

It is a nice car though. Good work Chris.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i know this is knitpicking and would probably be a pain in the ass, but would it be hard to make a sprite with more than one frame so it could change directions? like, perhaps, 1 frame for every point on the compass+diagonals? you could mirror them so you'd only have to make 5 actual frames; up, down, side, down diagonal, up diagonal.

unless of course i'm misunderstanding how you've implemented this. is it like the high wayman where there is no movement other than automatic map movement, or does it follow you around like an actual follower? (the latter is the one i assumed due to its presence next to the other followers in the top left corner of the game screen).

i know it would be hard to animate but i could accept something poorly drawn with no shading easier than a life-like photograph rendered into a sprite that floats around, constantly facing one direction.

18. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

It is impossible to animate because we do not have the tool.

Troika never given any art tool .It was just a russian named Zamuka that made the only art tool and this only works for 1 frame images and even then it is kind of unstable.

The car remains still like the Fallout 2 car but it teleports to you every time that you changed sector.

You do not see it to move .

But because teleporting is still a pain the car is big size only when you are in the world map.

When you are in a city or in a dungeon it shrinks it shelf to a much smaller sprite.

Look at this photo.

Storywise

Storywise the car is VERY OLD , older that the age of legends.

The car manage to survive and remain unnoticed and free by using the shrinking ability and passing itshelf as a toy in all populated areas.

[​IMG]

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

[​IMG]
    Chris, I take off my Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion to you. An outstanding idea, very clever and creative.

20. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Really good idea. That could be part of the plot for Arcanum 2: first you go on a quest to find the mythical machine known as "The Car" which is vaguely mentioned in ancient texts and the government of *insert Arcanum nation here* wants you to find for possible militar uses. Then, when you find it, it tells you that there used to be more than one of his kind, but they were lost long ago and it asks you to help it find its lost kin... therefore fulfilling some ancient prophecy! Okay, so we had enough of prophecies in the previous game, but it's a great idea. Cheers chrisbeddoes! :thumbup: and forgive me for my earlier mistake.

Our Host!