The Angry Sicilian

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rosselli, Sep 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Seeing write the words "I'm sexually fulfilled." and also seeing you call Sigurd immature, as compared to your, a beacon of sage-like wisdom, just fills me with the urge to... um... laugh so hard I could choke to death on my own phlegm. Thank you for that unique sensation.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I'll see your webster and raise you 1 merriam webster.

www.m-w.com

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I see you MW and raise you a Wht the fuck is a meriam webster?

6. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Anny up, you fool.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Touchee

http://www.rhymezone.com

Beware the ill rhyme, and respond in kind;
    So me your best, what can you find.

Eva, eva, word bitch.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Honour and duty are hardly adolescent themes. Just because they've disappeared from the world at large does not make them some product of the adolescent imagination, while elitist culturalists pretending to be cynics like yourself sneer at them.

Other than that, I enjoyed your post and thought you made some valid points :).

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I think the concept of personal Honor, and Moral Duty as justification of unavoidable violent acts is an extremely immature emotion. Please consider that both of them stem from an opinion a person must have of themselves. In order to be baited into violence they must believe that they are absolutely right, and that anyone they commit a violent act against on behalf of their own honor or duty is a person who has challenged their own authority, publicly, or morally. That is why those two concepts stem from insecurity, and are therefore inherently immature.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Honor and duty are concepts not excuses. Stupid douchebags might use them as excuses, but that doesn't change what they in and of themselves actually mean. The abuses of a few should not distort the meaning of the many.

Immaturity implies insecurity. Insecurity does not necessarily imply immaturity. Just because you suffer from both doesn't make it a rule set in stone. :D

By focusing on honor and morality, you've completely missed the point. If someone does something fucked up and doesn't want to take responsibility for it, they will make an excuse. Honor and morality are just commonly chosen because they are vague at best concepts. It isn't the actual concept that is flawed, it's the person. I could beat the shit out of you and say it was because my roast beef sandwich told me to. My actions speak against me, not roast beef sandwiches.

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Give me an example where honor and duty aren't excuses when related to violence.

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Wow, yeah, you're right, because firefighters always go around avenging themselves...

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

No, but they have honor and duty, and except for their calendar which makes other guys feel inferior, I've never heard of them doing anything to hurt anyone in any way. What the fuck does "avenging" yourself have to do with personal honor, or doing your duty? Like I said, they are used as excuses, but the definitions of both have nothign to do with avenging anything.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think Sleek is talking about in the context of the story, while you and I are not Blinky. At least, he'd better be, because if he isn't he is one of the stupidest fucks alive, and a reason why all anarchists should be shot. Honour and duty are all about supporting something other than yourself, such as enforcing the law, defending your country, not screwing someone over when you have the chance, and basically being someone people can rely upon and trust, which is hardly the image of violent sociopath.

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Why is the belief that one is absolutely right an insecure belief? That makes absolutely no sense. I would think that if he (generic) was secure in himself, he would be secure in his beliefs as well, therefore thinking himself absolutely right.

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Thinking your absolutely right isn't insecure, it's just ignorant and closeminded. You may feel your right, but you also have to accept the fact that just maybe, by some abstract version of divine intervention, someone just might be more correct than you are.

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I understand that. I was questioning Sleek's inane logic.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Failure to consider someone else's opinion as an alternatively viable solution to a problem is inconsiderate at best, and in my opinion extremely self centered. If we're talking about mathematics, or science then absolute certainty is a possibility, but when it comes to things like philosophy, emotions, love, hate, etc, no one can prove themselves justified, and all motivations are inherently self-serving.

Firefighting is not part of the equation in my opinion, because that is a selfless act. It may be deemed an honorable job, and they might be "doing their duty" but it doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about. I could make an espresso for someone at my job, and I'd be doing my duty. Firefighting is about self-preservation. The firefighter is fullfilling a role he knows is essential to society, if he were trapped in a burning building he would want someone to come in and save him. The firefighter is less about honor and duty because he would expect the same performance from anyone. The role he fills is more about neighborly charity, and fullfilling an essential role in society, by preserving the role of the firefighter he ensures himself protection, and aid should he ever need it because firefighting will exist. The characters I'm refering to however, are guided by their dicks, and would kill someone for having sex with their wife, but would then go and fuck around all they wanted. Basically what this boils down to is a lack of consideration, empathy for the other parties involved. Violence is always an immature solution, except in self defense, because during all the time leading up to the act of violence, there was a possibility for peaceful coexistence. Peaceful discussion is the difficult, and less exciting option so many fail to consider, because it is so much more manly to pummel someone with a baseball bat. Call me a hippy, but thats the way I feel. Wisdom comes with maturity, and while peace is available, violence is unwise.

Our Host!