That's it. We're done. Get the nukes, kiddos.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, Mar 16, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

As I understood it, the problem with that thing was the House was voting for a bill that could directly leave the Senate out of the loop, or the vice versa. It isn't good when a majority government/ruling party just bends the procedures at will.

That being said, the U.S. "does" need a Healthcare Reform, and the things I've heard about them are all good. And if BNH stands for the British Healthcare system, don't forget Stephen Hawking depends on them to live. They cannot be THAT bad.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

...Okay. I'm just gonna link what I came here to link and back right off.

For you, Dark Fool.

3. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

A Twilight thread derailed into a political bitchslap contest. You all have achieved a new low. Though, I will grant Darkfool validity for his aggression towards the vampfag series based on his previously stated point. Middleschool was a fucking transitional nightmare of a mainstream, brandname sludgefest, IIR.

Over and out.

4. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Heh. My middle school was divided into who wore Abercrombie & Fitch jeans and who wore JNCO jeans. Violent water balloon fights ensued.

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Your link wins for starting with the line "You cannot buy a Lexus for $20,000". It loses some of its charm for not finishing with "So don't get Universal Health Care, cause I really want a Lexus".

Seriously, it's not that bad. I'd rather everybody got to have health care then a few really rich people get to have mega health care.

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Rich people can still have mega health care. It's not like they're making private insurance policies illegal.

7. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I think we're missing the point on the healthcare debate. Regardless of what it is or is not, the American people don't like the plan that has been proposed. Reconciliation is basically a way of unilaterally shoving it down our throats, ignoring the rights of the minority in favor of the agenda of the majority. If the Dems weren't so hell-bent on having everything their way, they'd find it a lot easier to reach a bipartisan solution to healthcare.

8. Xz

I think the biggest problem with the plan is that it's insanely long. Most people have no clue what's in it, and yes that alone is more than enough reason not to like it.

9. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Very, very true. But then again, if it were simple and comprehensible, it would not be politics, hmm?

10. Xz

Most Norwegian laws are no more than a few pages.

11. magikot

Do you think that contributes to having the 3rd highest GDP per capita (24th nominally)? Just curious if there is a relation.

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think the biggest problem is that people need to stop watching Fox News and read up on what reconciliation is used for.

Honestly, if I didn't already know how the politics of this forum swung, I would have just assumed that Japes directly quoting Glenn Beck was sarcasm.

Though, the more I reread Japes's post, the more likely that possibility becomes.

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm growing to oppose it, but mainly for two reasons 1)I don't want to pay for other people's medical issues. 2) what Xz said: It's long and tedious, and nobody really knows what's in it.

14. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Me? Sarcastic? Never.

But really, how is it fair to me, the minority, if those who represent me in congress are completely shut out of the legislative process?

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Why is it fair to the majority for the minority to try to use a process that is, to everybody's confession, just stalling and using strawman tactics until everybody gets bored and gives up because everything is getting to be too long and drawn out?

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Still too long.
    If it was fair, it wouldn't be politics...or America.

17. Xz

If there's a relation it's probably inversed as simpler rules requires less use of lawyers, and the GDP would consist of less legal fees than with more complicated laws.

Mostly it's just the oil...

18. magikot

Truth is it's not fair. But neither is it fair for a mob to vote away my right to my own money and the fruits of my labor.
    Say what you will about her, but regardless of if you agree or disagree with her, Ayn Rand is right in this case.

19. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Doesn't the public insurance option still require monthly payments, only to the government? And if you have private insurance, you can just opt out of the public option?

That's how Turkish Social Security System works.

20. Xz

Fact is, giving people health insurance will allow them to go to doctors and be cured before problems become very serious and life threatening. And will thereby eliminate quite a few expenses to the medicare program. Also people who are healthy can pay taxes. Dead people can't.

That said I agree, however the same could be said by the minority who didn't want to invade Iraq. It could also be said by the minority who doesn't want the public to fund schools and the minority who want roads to be private. So while it might not be fair, it never is.

Our Host!