TES4:Obilivion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MADLAX, Apr 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

What depth that game has dries up pretty quick. It's really fun for a while though. Looks good too, though the shadows look pretty choppy.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Use ImageShack. You can't use urls that have .php?& in them in the forum.

And with a few .ini file tweaks, your PC will beat the Xbox for visual quality.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

That game is one of the very best games I've ever seen. I love oblivion almost as much as I love Arcanum. That game is almost perfect.

But I think that because I'm a little silly ES fan. Not that being that is bad, but hey...

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Gaaah! They didn't make enough Guild Wars: Factions copies! They had to delay the release in all of scandinavia! Aaah, the agony!!!

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I should see about picking up a copy of that today.

7. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

What's the dialogue system like in Oblivion?

e.g. Arcanum style branching dialogues which actually change the game or Spellforce style railroad meaningless exchanges.

8. Wolfsbane

No long dialouges like Arcanum, but they're intelligent and you have the choice of "yes", "no", and "I'm not sure/ I'll do this my own way" in most dialouges, quests. And the thing with every character having a voice is good, too.

9. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

The adaptive difficulty is annoying, It sure was no fun raiding deadric ruins in morrowind with a maxed out char, but oblivion does a 180 making it increasingly too difficult to fight your way through certian places. Unless you're a munchkin, maxing out the most vital combat stats. It sure is fun to an extent, since it motivates you to think instead of slashing away, actually making summoning a storm elemental a reasonable thing to do, at the time you're able to do that anyway. But it also makes the static elements stand out too much, with crappy stuff laying around on tables and in non-rnadom chests. Also I always get that annoying feeling that a-I should wait to level up before cleaning some ruins, becouse otherwise I'll be missing out on cool equipement, and b-The enemies and stuff I find change with my level and it's way too obvious to give a seamless RPG experience. Other than that, it's the best fantasy hack&slash I've ever seen.

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

11. Wolfsbane

Well, there's a great thing called scaling in Oblivion. The enemies and every other NPC will get stronger and harder to beat in any aspect, and their equipment will get better, too. And the AI's still one of the best things I've ever seen in a RPG.

And DU, whatever.

12. The_Bob

It sure is awesome, at first at least. After some hours of playiing i turns out to be quite straightforward and predictable tough.

I mean, sure, the enemies *do* cast spells and do other things than just charge whenever they see the player. At least the archers and mages do, with the former often holding position on the other side of a long hallway.
    Also I've seen signs of flanking, while fighting multiple city guards, becouse of a bumfight. Other than that, all I've seen was swarming, retreating when low on health and summonung stuff. But it's too predictable, like 'right, so when i hit him over the head now he'll run off and cast a healing spell'. Not as if I'd expect the mage to plymorph into a pink elephant and stomp me till i have to reload, but after doing the same thing at every oblivion gate/ruins/fort it gets repetitive.

Unfortunately most of the cool things are scripted, like guards changing shifts and sitting around in the barracs. Also characters exchanging rumors is fun at first, hearing marouders talk about Kvatch and whatever - hearing exactly the same conversation a nth time is not fun. Not to mention they feel more like a placeholder that had to do in the final version, since the dialogues seem forced and sometimes don't make much sense.

Kinda like Morrowind, there's a lot of cool stuff but it isn't quite polished yet, reminding me of the gameplay mechanics whenever i try to roleplay. But that's what happens when you get quantity over quality. Not as if the quality sucked, it's great but should have been better, with beautyful graphics *not* making up for other flaws to a dedicated roleplayer.

13. Wolfsbane

Well, it's still the best we got right now, and I'm satisfied.

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I don't understand why you waste your time with Oblivion when you have GW: Factions...

15. Wolfsbane

BUT GUILDWARS IS BLOODY TRASH COMPARED TO ANY OTHER RPG, 'CEPT WOW, 'CAUSE IT'S EVEN WORSE!

mathboy wonders what's good about the retarded scaling.

//mathboy

16. The_Bob

Well, you can use scaling to your advantage, if you want to enjoy the story, don't level up, so all of your enemies will be even weaker than you. Then again if you want to play with the high-end equipement like glass weapons and ebony armour, find yourself a cave and level up abit by summoning skeletons and practicing your brawling on them. Did that when I wanted to try out the frost elemental-thingie, but was 30 points short in conjuration. 8 levels later i crawled out of the cave, to be rushed by a random bum, wielding an elven mace (instead of steel mace). Couple of levels later your average highwayman had a glass weapon and enchanted arrows. The moment I decided that it's getting too tough was after i got assraped by a pack of dread zombies, in some ruins southeastish of the imperial city.
    Dunno, maybe it's made that way on purpuse, to disencourage people from leveling in such way, with the impact being less severe if you advance slower.

And as for WoW, it can be fun, as long as you don't have to pay for it on a monthly basis, that is for playing along people who just munchkinize characters to sell them to wannabes. Grouping up with some real people on a pirate server and doing some quests that way can be good fun, as long as the server dosent crash that is. As for WoW dying becouse of pepole like me, hell, it deserves to die.

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I too hate WoW, but I love GW. They're two completely different games.

18. Wolfsbane

I don't think that scaling ruins the game when you're at higher levels at all. On the contrary, it gets more and more interesting when your enemies get fiercer and harder to beat. I love it when I almost get assraped by some Khajiit bandit pack on the countryside, all wielding dwarven or elven equipment (and the loot is of course more satisfying).

On the other hand, scaling sucks when you're at lower levels, 'cause you beat your enemies too fast. I like it when you're as good as your foes and not some bloody superman who's sent there to kick ass. Common Joe. That's my guy any day of the week.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Too bad they make enemies so inferior these days. Back in Nam they were harder to kill.

20. The_Bob

Scaling sure sucks if you're not a combat oriented character. That being a bit silly in a combat oriented game, but the possibilities being here, the option is just too tempting. Playing a breton conjurer, I found out the hard way.
    The point is, Oblivion can't support poorly designed characters. Or perhaps not-as-perfectly-designed, perfection being a berserker canned inside thick platemail.
    The problems with playing a mage are that mana runs out quickly, potions are expensive and alchemy ingridients not numerous enough to work in a long run. In other words, I've found the game rather unbalanced, biased toward simple hack-and-slash gameplay, with cunning not being rewarding enough. They sure are there, all these bells and whistles, but they simply don't do the trick if you rely on them.

Our Host!