Temple of Excessively Bizzare monsters...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Sleek_Jeek, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I know that this isnt only limited to the game ToEE, but getting into the game for the first time made me a little nostalgic, and i was reflecting on the inspiring genius of garry gygax's creation, but then i got stuck on the monster "bug bear." I've always been a little confused by this creature, i know its some kind of insect/mammal crossbreed type thing, but isnt that what an umberhulk is too? If anyone can explain to me the inspiration for, or mythology behind the bugbear race of monsters I would be extremely greatful...

I'm stuck on this one because it seems to me that almost every other creature in my monstr manual has a mythological background of some kind. Did they just pull this one out of their ass? Is it some kind of joke?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're thinking too much... Bugbears are just some common humanoid creatures, just like orcs and goblins. It's just that Bugbears are the strongest command, man-sized humanoids around.

Try this link for some detailed information (but no backgrounds)
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d2 ... /20020930b

3. Wolf

Wolf New Member

any other questions about D&D ask me. i play it and got a book on most monsters in the game though there are prolly less in T0EE. BTW i dont mean to sound cocky just sayin i can help

BTW sorry for my ignorance but what the fuck is a bugbear doin wit a gun. is it just a joke. geez i must sound so dumb...

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Ooo a D&D nerd! *throws self at Wolfie*

I'm just guessing, but it seems likely that the bugbear in the policeman's uniform was meant to be a cute semi-joke, yes. :)

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, seeing as there indeed are tables for firearms in 3.5 D&D (going all the way from renaissance muskets to futuristic lasers), I guess that the policeman bugbear is part of some kind of streetpunk campaign world. Some people like mixing magic and technology you know, just like in our dear Arcanum. :)

6. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

A bugbear is an old british folklore creature that is basically a "creature of nightmare." You can actually use the word to mean something that a lot of people are obsessively afraid of, though often without good reason. Like "The Muslim man has become a sort of bugbear in the minds of many mainstream Americans." In folklore, htough, they aren't usually described as looking any particular way.

7. Wolf

Wolf New Member

arent nerds meant to be smart?

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

If someone tells me what the bugbear qualifies as on the ranger favorite enemy list I'll give them a big hug.

9. Canis

Canis New Member

Usually only in a limited field to the exclusion of expertise in all other matters, including social. Think idiot savant. Nerd is by no means synonymous with Intellectual.

EDIT: Jinxed, I think the Bugbear is classified as a Goblinoid, but I could be wrong.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Whooo, that's what I selected... Well, I better try it out.

*Gives Canis a big hug. ;)

11. Wolf

Wolf New Member

opens up "big book o' monsters" or "monster manual"
    hmmmmmmmm..........
    yup its a goblinoid
    guess us nerds are useful...sometimes

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Holy shit, a goblinoid? I thought they would be a beast or something. Anyway, that's a big help to me...but then, just choosing evil outsiders works just as well, and over a wider range of monsters.

13. Wolf

Wolf New Member

u sure? there are lots of types of monsters. u prolly wont run into many eviloutsiders tho there are a lost of them

heres a list of evil outiders.

achaierai( god with names like this why d i bother?"
    barghest
    demons
    devils(yup different things. one lawfulone chaotic)
    half-fiend/half-medusa
    hell hound
    howler
    night hag
    nightmare
    rakshasa
    shadow mastiff
    vargouille
    xill
    yeth hound

note on mosters
    a monster that fits evil may also fit lawful or chaotic. but j00 guys know aboot alignment

i would go for undead as youll prolly find quite a few.
    i also looked and found out that goblinoids ARE humanoids so im not sure wat u would do. in one game there was this dark bugbear cleric and we whooped its ass. my character almost got ghouled to death tho

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I selected humans and goblinoids as my favored enemies.

I still have the entire temple to clear, and I already have a +4 on humans and +2 on the freaking bugbears. The whole place is crawling with them.
    I was afraid I made a mistake selecting goblinoids...

15. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, that's usually considered a waste, yes. The goblinoid races are generally too weak to pose any real threath after a few levels, making the Favoured Enemy bonuses rather obsolete. You're generally better served by picking the really tough bastards, since it's in those encounters you really need those benefits.

Good choices are giants, outsiders etc...

16. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

You must be joking. Those tough Bugbears who rain criticals on you totally devastating your entire party are a waste? I'm not talking about the punks in the moathouse, the greater Bugbears or those located at the 2nd level of the temple. Choosing hill giant for example would be a waste. There's only a hand full of them.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hey Mr Wolf, while you've got your DnD nerd hat on, would you mind searching through those manuals and giving me the stats on ranger and druid animal companions? That is, if they're different.

18. Wolf

Wolf New Member

*opens up "big book o' players" or player's handbook*

as far as i know druids and rangers both get the same animal companions but druids get them at lvl 1. this is a part where ToEE prolly differs from real D&D.in D&D:
    rangers get the animal friendship spell at i think lvl 4 nad can use it on an animal to gain its friendship.
    in ToEE probably: rangers prolly get a compadre+ at a certain lvl.

could you please give me a list of available animals and ill tell u their stats coz in D&D the animals are available according to hit dice. i made gnome druid and got a riding dog as compadre+

+= compadre obviously means companion

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

As far as I know, the animals available are jackal, wolf, chicken, dire rat and attack dog. At higher levels (and taking the -4 druid level penalty) you can also get an assortment of bears (black/brown/panda I think) as well as a few others which I'm not sure of.

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

in D&D monster manual there are wolves and dire rats, maybe chicken or jackal but never herd of attack dog. anyway im crrently at my dads house and ill prolly be there for a few hours more so i no hav book.

Our Host!