Superman is dead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Oct 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Christorpher Reeve died Sunday night at 12:30. He made a lot of progress, amazing his doctors time and again by regaining control of certain motor functions that they said he would never have again. I've heard rumours that he was an atheist, if so, I hope he's forgiven.

2. Phadech

Phadech New Member

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

God it would have sucked to have lived like he did. Maybe in a few more years they would have been able to cure him with all that stem cell research they've been doing.

4. Womble

Womble New Member

Maybe, but he managed to have more of a life in his paralysed condition than most healthy people have. Not to mention the value of his work to other people, who will live to benefit from it.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

How can people look at Superman, and then say that they disapprove of stem cell research...?

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Because it's a tremendous moral issue. You have to kill an embryo to obtain stem cells. A lot of people, including me, aren't comfortable with that.

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Well a lot of people aren't comfortable with paralysis.

Who gives a shit if he was an atheist or not? What the fuck does he need to be forgiven for? If there is a god I hope Christopher forgives him for paralyzing him. I don't believe theistic belief makes you any more or less of a moral person, fuck his beliefs, and fuck you for thinking that his actions in life were anything lesser in value than those of a theist. You arrogant prick. How dare you be so presumptuous as to assume that your beliefs are correct, and that no other possibility exists. How dare you flaunt your pretension in such a public manner, as if what you hope could possibly influence the almighty. I bet you pray before football games.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I personally don't have a problem with it, and if it were up to me stem cell research would be proceeding uninhibited by you moral dinosaurs.

9. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Well good thing, i never liked the comic anyway.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

11. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Being an aetheist.

Ididn't allude to either way either. You mentioned this.

You're putting words in my mouth. I said nothing about his actions and values.

That's fucking stupid. How firm would my belief be if I "considered that there were other possibilities."

Again, you are adding to what I said. I know I can't influence the Almighty.

Never. Not once. But I don't have to qualify myself to you.

Fuck you Sleek. I'm no zealot. I had just read an article the night before he died, and it mentioned his beliefs, so they were on my mind when I made this thread.

I can believe what I want, you fascist communist. This is a fucking public forum, and just like you can create a blame America, blaspheme God thread, so can I make a thread about whatever the hell I want. You don't like it, don't reply, you fucking four-eyed faggot with your Abercrombie and Fitch plaid shirts and ugly-ass girlfriend, that's so ugly you can't even show her face. Stop with the fucking personal attacks, just because you disagree with someone.

12. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Hence the controversy.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I'm disgusted that you think disagreeing with your beliefs is something to ask forgiveness for. Dick. Disagree with me all you want, but in my opinion thats a personal attack on anyone that disagrees with your views on God. If you want to post in a public forum, may be you shouldn't post ambiguous insults implying the damnation of something around 80% of the population of the globe.

If you're gods plan is so faulty that even an insignificant thing like a human, could sin against him, then may be you should be looking for a new god. If god is perfect, then his plan is perfect, and the concept of sin cannot be valid. Unless of course, god is imperfect, or may be he's just a sick fuck that likes to test us by planning that we'll fuck up so he'll have a reason to send us to be torchered for eternity (which is not something i'd imagine a perfect being would do).

Once again, its not your theism that offends me, its the militant accusations "you people" throw at those who disagree.

P.S. I'll have you know, I've never shopped at Abercrombie, that shirt was from express and its possibly the only shirt I own that comes from some kind of fashionable chain store. Go kill yourself.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I own no fashionable shirts, unless you count the one my uncle brought over from Spain, which has a silhouette of a bull with a huge pair of balls on it. It's apparently pretty popular there. In fact, I own nothing fashionable. I'm too lazy to be fashionable.

Also retard, I wasn't entirely serious in my comments on moral dinosaurs. But seriously, if you think about it, it's the ending of a future potential life form, if hundreds of little things go right, for the sake of improving a current life form and helping a whole range of diseases and ailments. Who doesn't want to know that, should the worst occur, their paralysis can be cured? Who wouldn't like to know that age-associated mental illnesses can be prevented and cured? I know I sure as hell would, and given how much havoc these conditions wreak on people, society and medical systems, I'm amazed there's any sort of objection at all. Greatest good for the greatest number of people is a very simple concept.

15. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Sleek, you dumb shithead... It's his belief that there is a God and heaven. He wishes that, if his belief is correct, his god forgives Reeves. Yea, you can't be close-minded, but that also applies to you, you douche. I didn't sense any ambiguity in it, it's people who look and pick for bullshit points like you that give every leftie a bad name. Retard was implying that everyone has to agree with him. But let's face it, there is only one right answer in regards to the divine. And Retard feels that, based upon his answer, which he obviously thinks is the right one, Christopher Reeves should be forgiven for, what under his belief, is a sin.

Just because you want to impose some militant fucking political correctness on everyone, because god forbid they ever offend anyone, doesn't mean that Retard, or anyone can't have their own fucking beliefs. When you pull bs out of your ass about how firemen are inherently selfish, and how Amerikkka is the worst thing that's ever happened to the world since religion, you act all shocked when we get aggravated with your dumb ass. You cite your rights in a free and public forum to express the stupidest fucking opinions ever. And I guess you're the only one with that right, eh? Retard isn't screaming at you telling you to convert or die. Stop bitching at everyone else about how you can't bring up God in any normal conversation unless your either bashing someone, or it is the certified religion of everyone on the damn forum.

No shithead, wrong again. It is blatantly fucking evident it's his theology that offends you. I almost wrote theism too, until I realized that theism is the practice of being the. You're the only one being a militant shithead in this thread, except possibly me. Guess who started that you demented reject. You're the one directly attacking his diety of choice, he merely made a statement in passing.

So after shitting on a thread about a great American actor, and turning what was a semi-serious tribute thread to Christopher Reeves into another ideosyncratic bunch of insults spewed about things that we can't prove, and mind you, YOU CAN'T PROVE EITHER, what do you plan on doing next Jeek off. Going to Disneyland?

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Personally, I felt nothing on hearing the news. Maybe that's because I never saw a movie with Reeves in it (no tv in my house, ever, not even my dorm room at the university). Either way, it's one less person using resources without contributing.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Ugh, whatever. I don't "believe in god," but I don't "not believe in god," and its got nothing to do with political correctness. I'm expressing my offense that he thinks that just because someone doesn't believe in Jesus then they better beg forgiveness. In my mind that automatically divides society into the saved and unsaved, and the opinions, actions, and hopes of the unsaved are automatically of lesser value from that perspective. When I said his theism, I meant the fact that he believes god exists, and no that does not offend me. Yes, the theology involved offends the shit out of me.

Once again however, it had nothing to do with firemen being selfish, holy fucking shit, I can't believe I just read that. I never said firemen were selfish. I said that if a firemen happens to be motivated purely by the personal benefit of rescuing others, then he is selfish by definition.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with that discussion though, thank you for bringing it up again.

The main thing that offends me is the thought that I'll be dead someday and people might be bitching about how they hope god forgives me for all the petty fucking philosophical, and theological dilemmas we failed to agree upon during my life. Its just fucking disresptectful. Its one thing to call Hitler a douche for killing 8 million jews, but Christopher Reeves was just another sucker that got a raw fucking deal. In my mind he's been fighting against death since he was paralyzed. After the hell of living with paralysis, if he needed to do any pennance for anything, its already been done.

In retrospect, perhaps my initial post in this thread was a little harsh, but whatever. I was pissed.

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I just actually read the other stuff in this thread.

That was infinitely excellent.

Blinky, that was good stuff as well.

Sleek, you need to stop being such an arrogant, up-tight, hair-trigger whiny bitch with a stick up your vagina. Here's my favorite bit of bullshit:
    You're calling him "arrogant," "presumptious," and "pretentious" in the same breath as "how dare you." Is that funny only to me?
    So you can talk shit all you want, step on other's beliefs, patriotic and religious, and then when Retard expresses his own, in a totally inoffensive and actually caring way, you try to shut him down? It's people like you that are fucking up this country.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Sleek it has nothing to do with your beliefs, or Retard's specifically either. The definition of a belief is something that you believe, maybe that only makes sense to me, not you. Retard believe's in his version of God, and that non-believers don't get to go to heaven. And thinking Christopher Reeves is cool, he's asking the God he believes to pity him. I didn't think I'ld need to spell this out like your a four year old.

If I believe that everyone who doesn't eat a ham sandwich once a day is going to the inferno, and you don't eat one, it goes against my beliefs. I will believe that you are on the fast track to hell. You might not, but that's why you wouldn't be a hamist. I might pray for you and ask my ham adoring god for mercy on your non-believing behalf, but how am I doing anything other than publicly expressing my personal beliefs if I post that prayer here? I'm not threatening to beat you with the sacred ham of plenty, am I? I'm not writing a tirade about the joys of pork. I'm merely saying, that if my faith is correct, which I believe it is, and why would I be praying to your god/lack of one if I don't believe in him/her/it, you, despite your lack of faith, should be rewarded and forgiven. That make sense, or do I revert to second grade for next post?

20. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i'm reading a book called Life of Pi... highly recommended, by the way, it's the true story of an Indian kid who survived for like 6 months on a raft with a full grown tiger... anyway, the relevance is his views on religion. he's a Hindu/Christian/Muslim/Jew, fully believes in all four religions, sees no problem with it, and feels that Atheists should be accepted and admired, because their absence of faith takes as strong a will and firm belief as any religion... while Agnostics never commit to anything, and so die completely bereft of all comfort.

Our Host!