still playing acranum?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by xaint, Apr 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xaint

xaint New Member

the game's three years old. i'm suprised people still play this thing. i dug arcanum up cause of a reformat a coupla weeks ago. since i never really finished it i decided on installing it.

whats so good about arcanum?

what other games are similar to it? (save fallout of course...)

2. xento

xento New Member

I haven't found any games at all similar to it, besides Fallout 1 and 2.

And no, most of us here don't play Arcanum anymore. I know I haven't for over a year. That doesn't mean we aren't still fans, though. :)

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Prior to merely a few weeks ago, I still had Arcanum on my drive. It vanished when I felt like freeing up some space though. Had to get room for Sacred.

It has all the aspects one could desire from a RPG. Good character development system, a great gameworld and a rich story and splendid dialogue topped with the finest voice-acting I ever heard. Oh, and good music too. It's amazing really, but that mere handful of tracks never became repetitive.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I think the only thing we could wish for is a slightly more in depth combat system. Especially for the techies.

5. darkllama

darkllama New Member

plus, with the addition of the world editor, you can make your own modules and create you own game using the art that is in arcanum, which creates infinite possibilities

6. Draighox

Draighox New Member

7. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

Yes, people still play Arcanum. Despite the fact that I own the game for almost 3 years now, I've reinstalled the game one hour ago. Will try to finish this game unarmed fighter/watermage. Now all I have to do is to find a nice heavy pair of gauntlets...

8. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

ive just started playing again after nearly a year, its the fact that it has unlimited possibillities, and therefore never gets boring

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, Sacred has now been passed to the garbage bin, and Arcanum has once again taken its rightful place on my drive. I swear, I'll never get tired of this game.

Oh, welcome back again, Vermin.

10. mathboy

mathboy New Member

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Hell no.

Sacred was fun for a little while there, but eventually, it got far too repetative for my taste. Hack and slash in absurdum tends to become just that.

No, I'd rather spend my precious gaming time together with quality products such as the outstanding Warlords Battlecry 3. :)

12. DEATH AT THE DOOR

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I think it's the greatest RTS ever made, that's what's so special about it. :)

14. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

so sacred's a bust? i was actually considering that one...

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    If you liked Diablo, you'll probably like Sacred. It's a good game... for a while, but the lack of variety eventually killed my interest.

16. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

17. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Same here. I was playing Arcanum this week then Nox came. I finished Nox and back to Arc now.
    Comparing to Arc, Nox sucks.

18. Legatt

Legatt New Member

Im still playing it, still trying out new builds, still trying out other races. I have yet to find a good use for a gnomish character, but Ill keep trying.

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Gnomes are quite useful for an "immoral" character who commits lots of evil acts- the worse you do, the more people love you. Try insulting beggars :lol:

Then, of course, there is the WP+ Haggle bonus. How about a merchant mage? Or an urban adventurer, balancing an amateur knowlege of magic (the kind of spells you can get with WP12, like Haste) with guns and gambling?

20. floyd

floyd New Member

I installed Arcanum again yesterday, and am playing a new game. I've only finished it twice so far (two years ago, that is). Once with a half-ogre warrior (with just a few spells) and once with an elven mage (with good melee and dodge).
    I've tried finishing the game with technologically inclined characters, but it plays less smooth than with warriors and mages, so I never really got passed Qintarra in those cases.

I'm trying a half-elf thief this time... (I'm in Tarant as we speak).

Arcanum is - imo - the best game ever. The possibilities seem endless, and although I've beaten it twice so far, everything I try still seems new, I find quests I didn't even know where there, I find npc followers whom I haven't met before...

Great stuff, so yeah: of course some people are still playing it. I like Fallout and Fallout 2 very much as well, but there's something about Arcanum that just makes it superior. The replayablity is even bigger, the atmosphere is exactly what I look for in a game, the music never gets boring (at least not to me), awww, it's just great stuff. :)

Our Host!