Steve Irwin dead at 44

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Sep 4, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I was heartbroken to hear of Steve Irwin's death in the wee hours of Monday morning. I've always admired his personality, attitude about life in general, and his care and compassion for all of God's creatures. I feel for his wife and two children most of all. The world is now a little bit less well off now, I think.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

And lo, the crocodiles rejoiced. Bastards that they are.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well Steve Irwin was just about all that stood between them and the reintroduction of large scale culling.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I must say, even though it's a very sad affair the whole thing, it is kind of ironic.

5. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Ironic hardly sums it up. That bloke swam with sharks, played with snakes, and taunted hungry crocs! And some lame stingray takes him down?!

That guy way cool, "This 'ers the most deadly snake in the whooole world! Oooohhhheeee! Man am I lucky! Now watch as I hit 'em with a stick and she gets all peeesed off! Easy shiela, you almost bit me nose, and theres no antivenom for 10000 miles!", and smiling the whole time.

I just seems anticlimatic that he went that way, I figured he'd of been eaten by a croc or something. At least he went down doing the things he loved and having fun. More than I can say.

:(

6. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Some 11-year old kid got swallowed by a croc in Borneo today (Yesterday? Tomorrow?).

7. xento

xento New Member

Maybe God got the Death orders switched around and gave some kid the croc-eating that Irwin was meant to get, while Irwin got the stingray death that was meant for the kid.

That's what happens when God hires Arabs and Mexicans to do the paperwork. Of course, what with the Middle-Eastern wars and Mexican border-jumping, I'm sure there's a surplus of them, thus giving God the ability to hire for a fraction of the cost of any other race. Plus, if he hires male Arabs and Mexicans, they would not be able to file any underpayment lawsuits, due to the fact that no one gives a damn about them.

8. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

Ironic I suppose that he died like he did, but I am really suprised that it wasn't a shark, snake or crocodile that did it. I mean he was only the third man to die from a sting-ray in Australia.

9. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

[​IMG]

He was reckless in many episodes of the show, it was only a matter of time. His death was predicted in parodies the world over, and now that it has really happened it's still funny.

I saw an episode where he picked up a snake, it bit him around eight times and then he finally said, "He seems to be a little angry, we'll put him back down now.".

Not to mention his Wacko Stevo phase, holding his child while feeding the croc.

**Btw, fifty geek points if you actually got the joke in that picture.

10. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Whatever.

Croc Boy's programmes on the Discovery Channel always had me bored limp. Too cheeky chappy cheery for my taste.

11. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Can't say that I ever really liked him, but I know that he did a lot for the environment here in Australia and for that I'm thankfull.

12. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

He made me smile. If only everyone could leave such a legacy.

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

He was an amazing environmentalist, if not a but too enthusiastic.
    He definitely took his liberties with angry wild animals...however, he had never been bitten by a poisonous snake in his 44 years of life. He had a gift, but you can definitely tell that there was a limit. That, and a stingray did him in. That's like how Balder was killed by an arrow (or dart) made from holly.
    Hell, I don't know what I'm saying. It's just kind of tragic. I mean, yeah, I thought he was a tad overbearing, but he did undeniable good while he was around, except for when he held his son in front of an adult salt water croc. Whatever the case, he's gone. Hopefully he had someone up there waiting for him.

14. Telcontar

And personally I feel for his kids and wife. He was actually doing some filming for his daughter "Bindi" whom has been given her own documentry program.

15. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

I heard he was filming for the program "The Seas Deadliest Creatures". Not anything for his daughter.

A friend told me that the Stingray is part of the shark family.

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Stingrays are sharks which have been jupmped on until they're falt.

And the show was dedicated to his daughter.

17. Langolier

Langolier Member

As far as I know stingrays are fairly docile. That's what makes it ironic. He spent years around dangerous and agressive animals and in the end he was killed by one that most divers can swim up and touch.

Apparantly the camerman was swimming backwards in front of the stingray and Irwin was behind it. They (the police) think that perhaps the camera startled the stingray, causing it to lash out. At least that's what i read. It would make sense though.

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It really does make sense. The glint from the camera's lens could have startled it.
    Personally, I've been mobbed by stingrays, but never stung. I had a container of chum on my person, but the container wasn't completely shut.
    Since I was in "Stingray Alley," I was instantly swarmed by seven or eight female stingrays*. I was in no danger.
    Unfortunatley for Steve, his stingray was in no mood for company.
    *A female stingray can be as much as six feet across

19. Telcontar

Well from what they have reportd on the news here in Australia, whilst Steve was over the top of the
    sting-ray, the camera-man was in front of the sting ray and it was this "boxed in" feeling that made it attack af it felt threatened.
    You are right Mag, but he was doing something as well for his daughters new show whilst up in QLD,
    what exactly I couldn't find out.
    They actually have the video footage of him dying and his managers have seen it. It will be out of the
    reach of everyone though i'd say.

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Our Host!