Steampunk Spiderman

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by symban, Feb 3, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. symban

symban New Member

I came up with something interesting, it is spiderman dimensions. Apperantly one of the dimensions is sort of a steampunk realm. resembles watchmen alot though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Marvelous!

I'd love to see version of contemporary heroes, or people transformed into Steampunk CG.

And that mask, it's simply mind-blowing!

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I wish epic mickey remained dark and steampunky. But at least this seems to have a chance to stay true to steampunk.

4. Arthur_Vaapeli

But of course, old mickey is much better than the new one.

As for the heroes, imagine Iron Man "steampunk'd", I know there are some images of it in Google, but it's not very steampunk.

5. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Most examples of steampunk that I've seen are total garbage, but they are given a pass because they are steampunk, whether it's clothing, weapons, gadgetry or mundane items turned faux-steampunk. They are typically overdone, illogical or even outright ridiculous. Maybe it's because I work on well-engineered close-tolerance machinery, but I just can't accept something clunky and impractical on the grounds that it is riddled with brass rivets and encrusted with clockwork gears that clearly do nothing. Steampunk literature and artworks have to be pretty vague and leave a great deal to the imagination in order for me to swallow them.

6. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I vouch for that. The worst offenders are steampunk cosplayers with ridiculous accessory like goggles that DO NOTHING.

I'm perfectly fine with steampunk theme in games and movies, because I can at least imagine that all that gearing, piping and steaming is actually useful. In real life, not so much.

7. Arthur_Vaapeli

I think one of the most ridiculous steampunk "related" thing are women in corsets being sexy.

Not that I dislike it, but it's just not steampunk, women in the steampunk universe were like the 19th century women, heavily dressed, and private, they didn't show off their boobs...

Well, only at the brothel, but that's other story :p

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

This thread is now hijacked by steampunk Star Wars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WB Steamcock

WB Steamcock New Member

The problem is, the people coming up with that crap were too lazy to do any basic research into the fundamental principles of kinematics/mechanics and fluid dynamics. If one were to start with at least knowing how something should or does work, then the artistic flourishes can be added on later to make a believable, yet interesting item. In the case of steam-power, it is a relatively simple concept to grasp, even for those who are not highly "scientifically literate." As an example, my grandfather left school at a young age (11 or 12) during the depression of the 1930s to work at a sawmill where the cutting equipment was steam-powered. He demonstrated a good working knowledge of the system (he lamented when they converted to either diesel or electricity, don't remember which he said), even for having a poor education. Granted a steam-powered sawmill is crude compared to the devices seen within the steam-punk genre, but it proves the point.

10. PlastickCouch

PlastickCouch New Member

steamwars

steampunk starwars?!?! Where have i been? this is amazing!

gadget + classy = steampunk.

looooove eeeeet

11. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

I can't stop seeing that R2-D2 as having enormous pointy nipples. What is wrong with me.

12. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

I agree. Steampunk is meant to have some functional value. Simply to be there is rather silly. Given that steampunk inventions aren't generally streamlined they tend to have less room for gewgaws that do absolutely nothing. Aesthetics come last and aren't supposed to sacrifice functionality.

As well as the fact people only wore these inventions if it suited a purpose that normal means could not. They were tools rather than clothing accessories. Such as it is in the victiorian era where class and style among those who could afford it, they wouldn't wear any of these devices when they were mingling.

As for boobage in the 19th century it was there a'plenty. The do's and don'ts of high society and in hollywood only came about when the debauchery of the roaring 20's hit it's ceiling and they put about measures in the American media to curtail such activities.

There was one particular big case in the twenties where an actor ended up butchering one or two of his co-actresses and it sent a shockwave throughout the hollywood community and things began to change. They felt that a certain sense of morality needed to be present to prevent societal decay and have a sense of responsibility.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The lights would serve as a yes or no function perhaps.

14. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

Kinda wonder about walking boiler rooms and how much they're paying for deoderant.

Or whether they're using some dapper dan or an expensive weave to allay that drowned rat look.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

One more victorianesque Star Wars pic I had laying around.

[​IMG]

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Not Steampunk, but unhinged cockney gangsters are sort of related in my mind.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDKiQfBs9lo?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDKiQfBs9lo?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Can't believe I haven't seen that before, brilliant.

18. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Our Host!