(Spoilers) Help with Car Arcanum...

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Klaz, Sep 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Klaz

Klaz New Member

I finally got around playing Car Arcanum again, and I have a question, I heard that it has an expansion to the half-ogre conspiracy quest, but I already gave the journal to the caladonian editor imposter and I see no way of continuing the quest... some help would be appreciated.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

From May 18. 2006:

I, personally, never found the link but if you do it'll lead you the bad guy.

3. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I gave up on CarArcanum, but I went through some of the dialog files. After you go back to the real newspaper guy in Caladon, he should tell you the name the guy gave him who caused him to leave. I didn't find a dialog file under that name so stopped looking. Why he'd give his real name and not the fake one (Sam Longwell?) is beyond me. With regard to CarArcanum, I'd consider looking in the newspaper archive in Tarant, in case they added a clue there. Perhaps there's something that gives you an address or map location?

Personally, if I was writing it, I'd think the guy to put pressure on next is the gnome in Tarant at the newspaper office. He tells you to take the evidence to the faker in Caladon (by name!), then later denies he said that. Alternatively, the gnome who helps Donn Throgg would be a good candidate for the unknown councilman, Mr. X, who'd been working with de Cesare and Arthur Tyron. I imagine an ending slideshow would be like:

"Because of your involvement, Councilman [what's his name?] was able to identify and arrest the gnome who ordered the murders of Matt de Cesare and Arthur Tyron. He persuaded him to testify against the masterminds of the half-ogre conspiracy in exchange for leniency. Along with the evidence you provided him, [skulls and journal] the guilty were brought to justice. Half-Ogres were freed and, once educated, in time they were able to manage their own affairs as a new race in Arcanum."

4. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Normally, after you submit the journal, the only other thing to do is
    to meet the editor in Tarant who denies he sent you to Caladon, and to revisit half-ogre island, where a script makes all the skeletons and equipment disappear.
    I have opened CarArcanum, looked in the dialog files, books/pamphlets file, newspapers file, normal m-m rumor file, the quest file, and even looked in the Black Root sewers to see if the answer was written on the floor in green blood! I FOUND NOTHING but a name, as I mentioned above, but the records clerk file wasn't changed for you to track him down.

This leads me to the conclusion, that you were mistaken and this game does NOT have a continuation to the half-ogre island quest.

Now I haven't looked in the idiot rumor files or person-fem rumors file, but what would have triggered them anyway?

IF I WERE WRITING AN ENDING:
    Now, I may have said elsewhere that I did find from a newspaper article that when Donn Throgg is killed, Willoughsby and Babcock and another (I don't have his name handy) are the three councilman who regret it and speak out. They are the good guys: Willoughsby is busy with trade (and the Boil), Babcock with labor/ orcish rights, so the third guy could be our secret candidate to resolve the half-ogre scandal. But how to get to him? Somehow you'd have to know that Sam-whatzit is not the real newspaper guy without giving up the journal! Then you have to find the councilman - is he a gnome? There's a gnome in one of the pubs that you might be able to name and attach script & dialog files to. Perhaps you'd modify Willoughsby and Babcock so they tell you to take the journal to this third guy. The finale after perhaps getting a quest solution would be a newspaper headline telling about the scandal breaking and how the Tarantian's own editor was arrested! The next headline would be several gnome councilmen resigning or being arrested.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I know that after you visit Half-Ogre Island, Willoughsby is suddenly in Roseborough, where he attacks you for tracking him there.
    I've never managed to find the link between returning from the island to confronting Willoughsby, but you now have a place to start back-tracking, jfkoski.

6. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

No thanks, I'm done with CarArcanum and this red herring.

Our Host!