Sorry if this has been asked before but Arcanum won't work!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sorg, May 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sorg

Sorg Member

I bought a new computer (windows 64-bit) in august 2008 and the first game i installed was Arcanum, it worked perfectly.
    Today i tried installing it again and before installing any patches, wanted to try it to see if it works, but after i clicked 'Play', the screen turned black and stayed black, i had to reset the computer.
    Installed the Official Arcanum patch, tried it again, same thing.
    Went throught the forums, read that i should right click the arcanum.exe icon and do some stuff, did everything, tried it again, same thing, black screen.
    So anyone care to help me?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Do other games work properly? Because maybe you video card causes problems, isn't installed properly or has corrupted software because of some viral infection. if other games don't cause such problems, then hm, do you have spare disc space on the partition on which Arcanum is installed? Maybe it doesn't have enough ease to work properly.

3. Sorg

Sorg Member

WoW works perfectly as well as The Witcher, should i have DirectX installed?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Whaaa... Well, akhem, of course you should, you always should. But since Wow and The Witcher work, you propably already have a good enough version of DirectX for Arcanum to work. Still, it won't hurt to install the latest one if you haven't already. Everything's worth a try.

EDIT: One more thing. Did you install Arcanum exactly the same way as in 2008? Some versions may require a DVD patch or something like that (which is in those situations on the game disc) and refuse to work otherwise.

5. Sorg

Sorg Member

Still didn't work, and yes i don't think i did anything different before :( damn it i just reseted the computer for the 5th time this morning :s

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

OK, well, do you still have the same operating system? I didn't read those posts, but I've seen here and there treads about Arcanum having problem with Vista. Possibly even XP, but I personally never did experiance those. Also, sometimes Windows Service Packs screw the working of games (I never installed on my XP anything above SP1 since there are at least a few gemes I like which won't run when they're installed).

7. Sorg

Sorg Member

Yeah it's the same computer, never changed anything, no idea what's hapening :s
    Even vanilla arcanum should work no?

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If it did previously, yeah.
    Of course you could try to reinstall Arcanum, since nothing else works anyway. Maybe something gone wrong during the instalation.

9. Sorg

Sorg Member

Did that already :( anything else i should be aware of?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nothing that I'm aware of. But I'm no professional nor did I ever had similar problems. Perhaps someone with decent knowledge in the matter will show up and help you.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I hoped the thread I made would be sufficient to deter people from posting threads like this. No matter. You sent me a message, so I suppose I'll help (read: try to). Firstly, on the off chance you haven't done so, please follow everything in my guide made. It doesn't seem to be super useful, but hopefully getting it to run for you will change that. I now need the following:

Computer Manufacturer:
    Processor Speed:
    RAM:
    Pron downloaded/week (Gb):
    Operating System:
    Service Pack:
    DirectX Version:

12. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

13. Sorg

Sorg Member

I always do mate, the screens just turn black, anyway for DarkFool:
    Computer Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
    Processor Speed: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
    RAM: 4.00
    Pron downloaded/week (Gb): dunno what that is :s
    Operating System: 64 bits
    Service Pack: 1
    DirectX Version: after executing dxdiag, i'm sure now i have DirectX 10

14. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    When you installed the officail Arcanum patch, did you choose the correct directory? That patch doesn't auto-detect your Arcanum folder.

15. Sorg

Sorg Member

Yes of course but it's not a patch problem, but even with no patches installed, Arcanum should logically work, yet it doesn't, i always get a black screen and i have to reset every time :/

16. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

If DF can't come up with anything you could always try running it in safe mode.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Wow. That's just... Wow. Someone on this planet is actually going to heaven. Yet how lonely he will be.

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

My next thought would be to try and run the game without any of the opening movies. The instant black screen makes me think it's a video-based error. Hopefully DBT or someone else who knows the game exceedingly intricately will swing by and tell me if it's possible to add a switch to the "launch" command and make it launch without starting any videos.

Somethings that should've been in my previous message:

What kind of video card? Who makes, model, memory?
    Is anything o.c'ed?
    Are you running Omega Video drivers, or anything similar that's "Non stock" ?

19. Sorg

Sorg Member

I'm actually french so it's hard enough translating technical words :s
    Not running any drivers and my Graphic Card is a NVIDIA Gforce 9600 GS with 768 Mb

20. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Well, that's your problem, you need to install the drivers for your graphics card.

Our Host!