so yeah... fallout 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamenut, Feb 24, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamenut

gamenut New Member

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157366
    saw this and thought of this place, suprised it's still around. although i barely recognize anyone except for a few of the older posters. anyway, thoughts on a fallout 3? :)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, it might be worth a try, I'll probably try it out even if it Bethesda who devlops it. I don't like the fact that Bethesda creates it because you can't do good things all the time, I mean they created The Elder Scrolls- series, not the Fallout-series. Hopefully, the Bethesda team have sat down and played Fallout and Fallout 2. If they haven't done that I can't say much more that the game is going to become a disaster. But I'll definetly buy it, to try it out. It's after all a new Fallout-chapter.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    - You'll be able to join every faction most likely, even if you belong to a completely opposed one or you shouldn't normally be able to join them. Basically mutants in the Brotherhood of Steel, and being able to join both the NCR and Brotherhood with the same character.

- Somehow you will invariably become the leader of a faction after being their errand boy for about a week or so.

- A scientist who joins a faction will probably be given the same missions as any other character and will be unable to progress unless they complete that mission. Because it makes so much sense to send a diplomat to clear out a radscorpion infestation...

- Quests will no longer have multiple, varied methods of completion, instead being only solvable by killing something (like in Oblivion). [multiple quest solutions out]

- Perception will be rendered useless because aiming will be dependant on the player's twitch skills. [they will cut the 'P' - and maybe others - out of SPECIAL]

- Many of the skills will probably be "consolidated."

- Radiation will be used to explain magic being used in the Fallout setting.

- There will no longer be any variance to killing your enemy. They will simply stop moving and drop to the ground.

- There will be the choice of mutant and ghoul at character creation [don't agree with this]

- Lockpicking will now take five times longer and when your done all you'll get is a pocket fluff. [will be a lockpicking 'game' (reflexes), illogical loot]

- Bethesda's lack of stepping on the toes of the ESRB will abolish Mentants, Psycho, Buffout, and all forms of booze...Nuka-Cola will still be allowed but instead of being addictive it'll make you belch, which fits Bethesda's humor.

- Vulgarity will be replaced with made up words.

- The blood aspect will be removed, so that critical aimed shot to the arm will be a groan followed by a collapse.

- After Bethesda's accomplishment of making the rocks in Fallout 3 more "real" they forget to add a actual story....in haste they write ten minutes of dialogue and hire an actor that somebody in their staff has a hard-on for.

- Children will no longer exist in Fallout 3 as NPC's are too busy staring at walls or having the same boring conservations with each other or walking in and out of shops for no apparent reason. [won't be children for 'moral' reasons]

- Bethesda will boast it's accomplishments in teaser vids, then when the game comes out none of it is to bee seen. [hype and content won't match]

- Bethesda's assumption that every video gamer has had the equivalent of a frontal lobotomy will now makes quests even easier! Yes indeed, now your Pip-Boy will have a handy-dandy compass that will point you straight to it....and if that wasn't enough the NPC's will have each and every detail down to the letter! [pipboy redesigned, stuff like fast travel, quest pointers etc]

- Lots of NPCs that have no reason to exist, and nothing interesting to say. In fact there will be so many of these characters that talking to anybody at all will be pointless as there will be a 99.9% chance this will be the case. Thus you play the whole game not talking to anyone, and miss out on the few quests there are.

- Massive loading times everytime you enter a house or even just another room in a house [due to grafixes]

- Any skill system that is dependent on use of the skill and not experience points from quests. The farce in Oblivion of disintegrating your armour just to repair/ letting yourself get beat up just so you can heal yourself/ fixing your controller to run into a wall overnight while you sleep all just to gain skills, rather than by actually playing the game.

- The game levels up with you (enemy difficulty, loot etc), which ends up in a farce where you try and avoid gaining experience as the extra difficulty just is not worth the extra skill points. Thus ultimately undermining the real motivation and ultimately fun of an RPG game.

- Every city will allow you to buy a car, but you'll be unable to attack while inside your vechicle, and there'll be a fast travel option anyway.

- Armoured cars will be cut from the game, then released a week after the game comes out, and will cost about $2. [there will be 'premium addons']

- Most of the skills will be cut from the game. Those that remain will either be irrelevant due to player skill (ie. aiming), or there'll be an item that makes the skill redundant (ie. an unbreakable lockpick).

- Successful use of your skills will now be determined by mindless minigames, especially during conversations. [won't be dialog trees, will be eg bribe/seduce option regardless of context]

- Player dialogue will consist of listening to an NPC crap on, then repeating a single word that the NPC said back to him, allowing the NPC to continue crapping on. Other dialogue options incluse "Rumours" and "Goodbye". [ie dumbed down]

- Players won't want to sell half of their weapons, because no merchant will carry enough money to be of any use.

- At higher levels, every bandit you meet will be wearing Advanced Power Armour Mk. II, yet still only demand 100 caps from you. [level scaling]

- At the end of the game, civilisation as you know it will collapse, every friendly NPC will die, and you won't get to fight the game's villain.

- Humans, mutants, ghouls and robots will all be playable races. Aside from the ocassional, randomised greeting to a member of your race and a few stat differences, all of the races play in exactly the same way. Nothing in the game is race-exclusive.

Spotted at The Codex!

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Even though I've never played the Fallouts, I know what I've read about them. I also know what kind of a game Oblivion was, and I'm quite positive Bethesda will dumb Fallout down. Say what you want about The Codex, but they usually have a good sense about games.

6. wobbler

Well, I know Oblivion is shit (Maybe smoe goods part, and you can have som fun but...) But Morrowing and that others ES was quite good, so maybe that wont fuck it up totally?

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    I hear it's going to be an FPS. What couldn't go wrong?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

An FPS? Nah, I don't think it'll be good then. I surely wont enjoy it either if it's going to be an FPS.

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I'm curious if they'll make it single player on an MMOFPS.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Both, for sure. Maybe not an MMOFPS but I'm pretty sure that it's going to have a Multi Player option. Like in most games.

11. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Some things just won't work with a first-person view. Like Fallout. And Arcanum. Hellgate: London is doing techno-magery it's own way, which I'm quite grateful for. But i am not playing Fallout as craeted by Bethesda. I loved Oblivion for the first five hours, and then I grew to hate it. It doesn't have any staying attraction, and that, I fear will be true of their version of Fallout.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Some things just weren't made for the FPS perspective. Like SPECIAL.

I also loved Oblivion immensely for about a week there. Big world, much to explore, NPC's seemed more interesting than they ever did in Morrowind. However, I committed the fallacy of playing as a pure mage. Big mistake, I sucked at using those big shiny swords and I didn't have the strength to wear those neat Daedric Armors EVERYONE suddenly had, neither did I have the skill to get any sort of defense out of them once I'd crafted a Strength-enhancing ring. Suffice to say, I was toast whenever I entered an Oblivion gate and had to face those enormous demons, my array of homemade doomsday spells notwithstanding.

13. wobbler

The trick is starting as a redguard, Dropping all your cloth except for a tiny little knife and Necklace of water walking.

Then you just run through everything completley ignoring the enemies.

So fun^^

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's kinda difficult ignoring the enemies when most quests involve entering a dungeon and killing what's in it.

Also, I hate that I can't fight from horseback. I mean, Mount & Blade's does it marvellously and it's made by an indie company without a multi-million dollar budget!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, and the graphics are quite amazing too.

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I forgot that there was one thing I did love about Oblivion; the Dark Brotherhood questline.

That moment when you are told that to advance to the next level of promotion, you must wipe out your guildhall had me grinning and wispering, "It shall be so" to the moniter. One of my favorite role-playing oppertunities ever.

17. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

http://duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16821

18. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

OMG :-o

---

BTW, DU, I've read your FO:BOS bashing. Nice article.

19. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I post on they fourm nothing is set in stone yet expect it going to be single player where mods can make and added to it. The mods in Morrowind make Morrowind better in many way. They might have addon to fallout 3 to expanse it world.

Some of the more radit Fallout fan are coming around that it willnot be a remake of the Fallout games of the past it will needed than 3d viedo card to play.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!