So, what happens to the site now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Feb 26, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    As all of you should know by now, Troika Games has been officially declared dead. With this being a fansite dedicated to that little distributor, this is not good news. Unless we want to see the forums die, we have to set our scope at new games and a new developer, because if we don't there'll eventually be only me hanging around here speaking to myself, and I can't have that.

So, any suggestions? I'm sitting with my mind blank here (which just happens to be its' normal state) and the only thing I can think about is that we expand our focus to involve Bethesda, since my donger reaches for the high heavens everytime I think about Oblivion, which looks like it could be a really good game. Then again, since I know (or at least think I know) what you guys think about Bethesda in general and Morrowind in particular, there might be better suggestions out there.

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I say we should wait and see what happens to the good guys (Tim, Leon and Jason). And if they continue on their own, or join Obsidian or anything as long as they don't join EA we should continue to cover them and their wonderful work.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'm inclined to let it die. Terra-Arcanum will always be an Arcanum fan-site. If we start following a whole bunch of other games it sort of loses it's purpose at all. Unless we re-jig on some sort of broad "RPG" theme but there are already sites out there like that.

My personal view is to finish off all those whizz-bang systems and finally get some actual game content up. Then we can just let the site sit here with that content and see what happens. I doubt there'll ever be an Arcanum 2. There are plenty of other sites if you're a D&D fan and Bloodlines... well, if that gets a sequel I don't really care, to be honest.

Though it will be interesting to see what Tim and company do next, I'm not personally willing to turn the site into a "we love Tim, Leon and Jason" fan club just to track the careers of three reasonably decent game developers.

4. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

don't let it die, DU. this is the only place i visit with any sort of regularity... my boredom would exceed all bounds without my daily TA fix.

5. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I doubt everything will just IMPLODE OMG now that Troika has closed since the site is still a very valuable resource in terms of their games.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think the site is fine, I mean, I have Arcanum, but I haven't played it in awhile. I found this forum whilst looking something up for a friend. I plan on sticking around as long as I can, and I'm guessing that most of the other people who post here regularly will do the same. I agree with DU though, we should finish updating the content that is in it, and maybe if the Troika fellows come out with another game (under a different company) then we can add that, but other than that we should just let the forum and the website sit, and enjoy it. :) Out of curiousity, how is this site funded? Does someone just pay for it every month, or are there ads that support it?

7. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

It's all free. The revenue from the ads goes to the hosts who offer us the hosting free and yeah, the site will just kind of sit here until everyone leaves.

8. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

I don't know about that, who knows, maybe we'll be surprised 10 years down the line when we get a new Arcanum. It probably won't be a direct sequel, but the idea of a Magical World going through an industrial revolution was a very novel idea and I won't be surprised if someone else picks it up down the road. Who knows maybe Tim and company will make a game with a Marathon/Halo connection (no official connection, but one obviously influenced the production of the other)

9. DarkFool

A Halo connection to Arcanum? By the gods, if they do that the I'll kill'em. I mean, I've heard of fanboys who blur characters from one story into another, but that's like street fighter and street fighter two. You're talking completely different styles of games. That would be... stupid... can you imagine what the game would be like if Arcanum 2 was influenced by Halo? That would be sad.

10. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

you misunderstood me, I mean that someday maybe they'll create a game that is connected to Arcanum in the same way Halo is connected to Marathon

11. DarkFool

Aah, alright, I understand what you were saying now. Yea, if they did a game like that it would be cool, perhaps one that involved another continent or two... I think we just moved this topic into an area where it should be in a different section of the forum...

12. Naked_Lunch

Naked_Lunch New Member

I say we should close it down if we don't start covering other games, lest it turn into another DaC...

13. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Since when did Terra Arcanum depend on Arcanum to surive?

Fuck, most of us who are important stay only in the GD. We can't let this place die.

14. Canis

Canis New Member

"Most of us who are important" wouldn't be missed if we disappeared tomorrow, and I assume just about everyone here has at least one other forum which they frequent.

15. DarkFool

I don't have any other forum I really frequent... :( I don't know what DaC is, but it would suck to turn into another forum like Dragon's Breathe Forge. They dried up. It's rather sad to see. Matah is right though, most of the people who frequent this forum stick to the General Discussion. :)

16. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

I don't even go to the site now that I don't really play Arcanum... I doubt that many people do.
    I love the forums, I'd hate to see them die.

17. DarkFool

I've noticed a lot of forums are slowly dying out...

18. mathboy

mathboy New Member

19. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

I found this site(probly like many others) whilst looking for info/help with Arcanum. I developed an affinity for the forums and grew to like several of our local scamps. Like rosie this is the onlt forum I visit, if'n this place died out then what we do then?

Besides....I don't ever remember this place being dependent on Troika being alive. TA is a fan site. It was created by fans of Arcanum, is kept alive by fans of Arcanum, and there is the occasional newb. And its not like our lives are over because Troika went tits up!

20. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I say keep it open for now. May-be than rich investor will want to reform the comany under than other name.

Our Host!