So, I've been reading a lot...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Feb 11, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

And I'm apparently much better at physics than I thought I was. The math part, I need to practice, but as for making connections and forming working theories on my own...I'm good at it. I just haven't had the proper mathematical background as of yet to properly express my ideas.
    The first thing I have to do, though, is say I was wrong about something. One of the first "intelligent" arguments I had on this website was with TONGSyaBASS, and it was regarding the speed of light. He was absolutely correct in saying that it doesn't matter how fast you're moving, because light will always, ALWAYS, be moving 186,000 miles per second relative to your current speed. In fact, you may as well always be standing still.
    Light's speed is a constant, and only via extraneous circumstances, i.e. black holes, can light be slowed. Remember, though, that should you be in that same black hole, the light will still be much faster than you.
    Moving toward a source of light doesn't change how much light hits you, it simply shortens the wavelength of the visible spectrum. In this way, it's possible to move at a source of light so quickly that you're actually charging gamma rays. It'd be tough, but it's possible. This also brings to attention the problem of infinite mass;
    We cannot accelerate to light speed because we have finite mass in the universe, and the only particles that can travel at light speed are neutrinos, photons, and gluons, because they have no mass. Why, in this case, is it possible that infinitely massive bodies would have the same properties as those with no mass? It's not. As much as that body accelerates, it must also accelerate everything around it, which is why black holes are, for the most part, stationary and invisible leviathans.
    What must be noted, however, is that an object's life span can be considerably lengthened depending on how quickly it travels. Light speed is essentially traveling into the future, as very little physical change would have occurred relative to the traveler. Time would, to an outside observer, look as though it had been frozen.
    One thing I feel I must stress is that, even if we are somehow able to accelerate to 186,000 miles per second, light will still be traveling 186,000 miles per second, relative to us.
    Why?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Because light is fucking weird. Also because if it didn't light would at some times have to travel faster than the speed of light and that's absurd.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    C + 1 = C

Headache yet?

Good pot, I take it? Did you use the million dollar hookah?

4. Grossenschwamm

No, that's a straight up thought. I'm beginning to think that electromagnetic energy in general is what holds the universe together. If it's all pervasive and is hitting everything in every direction in relation to its movement, it's probably a counter-force to gravity that must exist in order for gravity in itself to function, and vice versa. A black hole gives off humongous amounts of x-rays from all of the matter rushing toward the singularity, but once the event horizon is reached, all you get is a humongous light-refractor that reflects exactly what's behind it.
    Another interesting thing to note is that molecules in matter move at the speed sound is transmitted through them. Air is constantly moving at the speed of sound through air (anywhere from 740 to 770 miles her hour) and steel is constantly moving at the speed sound is transferred through it (5000+ miles per hour). Air moves so slowly in comparison because it loses energy so quickly, due to the empty space in between molecules. It's why no sound can be heard in space, there being only 1-10 molecules per cubic inch. It's not that sound isn't being transmitted, its that sound is being diffused.
    But, then we have to get into the different types of gaseous molecules, and why sound travels in different speeds through them;
    It's all to do with the size of the molecule. The more mass something has, the more energy it takes to change the momentum, meaning that through pure Hydrogen gas, our voices would be extremely high, and through Xenon-Tetrafluoride gas (a funny gas that's more dense than Aluminum), our voices are extremely low.

But that's just it...light travels faster than itself all the time, but to the observer of the light, it's always moving at the same speed.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I've got to hear how this is possible.

6. Grossenschwamm

Say you're standing still. The light around you hits you all at the same time, but it's traveled varying distances at a constant speed of 186,000 mps.
    Say you're driving at 60 mph down the highway. Again, the statement of light's constant speed holds true.
    Now, say you're moving at 186,000 mps. You're not actually moving at light speed, because, relative to you, light is still traveling at the same speed it always does;
    186,000 mps.
    The frequency of the light is all that changes, and you'll essentially have extremely powerful gamma rays hitting you from the front and extremely weak infrared radiation coming at you from the rear.
    To different observers, light will always move at the same speed, regardless of their own speed at the time of observation.
    Say you're the Flash. He's known to travel at faster than light speeds due to his connection with the made-up Speed Force. If you run at light speed towards a stationary object, the object will appear to be standing still because you can't see behind the stationary object, so that light will not be visible to you. You can't move past the absorbtion/reflection point of the object, so it stays in your field of vision. Then the question is, if you're moving at light speed, are you really moving through space? Yes. At the exact same time as everything else, because when you move at light speed, you're taking the entire universe with you. It's why light speed is impossible, and why light hits everything at the same time.

When all of the matter of the universe expanded to it's current size, it was moving fast. In terms of its actual speed, it was moving faster than light, but there was still light in the universe. Why we're seeing things so far in the past right now is because as we slow down, the frequency of the light reaching our telescopes increases. It was hitting us all the time, but we just didn't have the ability to see it.

7. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Take a tube that's one photon wide and then force numerous photons through it. Despite having room for only one to travel through at a time, they all come out simultaneously. It's an ancient physics experiment along the lines of "spooky action at a distance". That's what the bald British guy said anyway in class.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

So when do I get my car that has invisiblity as an option?

9. Grossenschwamm

About the same time we figure out why just about everything causes cancer.

10. DarkFool

Alright, fine. Will you, at the very least, get me a micro-reactor for my car? A nice, tiny nuclear reactor?

11. Grossenschwamm

Only if you promise to buy your own uranium. I'm not made of money.

12. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I can get you uranium but its unrefined.

13. Xz

But does light travel faster than the speed of light relative to itself? (My guess is no.) If it doesn't light never travels faster than itself.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Damn it Vorak! You know procurement is MY job! Now put that unrefined shit back where you found it and leave this to me!

*ahem* So, Mister DarkFool, how much uranium will you be requiring today?

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Now that's pretty much what I was taught and they keep repeating in the documentaries. Lightspeed - 186,000 mps - is the ultimate speed limit and shining a light from a fast-moving object wouldn't add any more velocity to it from a stationary observer's point of view.

16. Xz

Exactly, only the wavelength of the light would change from the stationary observers point of view.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
  18. Xz

But Ferret is gone... Meh, someone go over to Aozos and get him back... :p

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    I actually sent him a PM with a link to this thread as I made the post.

I'm shameless, I know.

20. DarkFool

Our Host!