Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    This is probably the most successful thread I've ever started. And yet, it's not even original. Yes, it's true, I stole the idea from someone else. From toblix no less. I know you all have a great admiration for my wit, incisive logic, and impressive pectorals, but I am actually a fraud. No more than a common or garden thief. And not in a sexy D'n'D rogue backstabbing chaotic evil for breakfast kind of way. In a laughing at Jojobobo when he falls over kind of way. Truly I am despicable. Now that my secret is out, I hope you will still see your way clear to accepting my wishes for a good morning, though if you do not then I could not in good conscience hold it against you. Good morning.

4. Jojobobo

I don't know if I can ever forgive you. Having said that, good afternoon.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey, what was that game you posted screenshots of in that other thread that I can't post in without a picture? I'm guessing either Theme Park or RollerCoaster Tycoon, but I've never played either of those. And if you have, which is better? Good morning.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Good morning! I'd say RollerCoaster Tycoon, of the two - though you weren't asking me. One of the people I used to go to high school with played the game all the time, and said if you named one of the patrons in your park Timothy McVeigh he'd blow up your rollercoasters (he also said he was directly related to William Wallace). I never bothered to try, but I still found this on eegs.com;

I still doubt it, but I don't have a copy of the game at this point to test it.

7. Jojobobo

Derailing the thread much Smuel, Jesus!

Gross is indeed correct, 'tis RollerCoaster Tycoon. I can't find a game called Theme Park Tycoon so I guess you mean Theme Park World and the rest? If so then in my opinion RollerCoaster Tycoon is by far the better one, mainly for how well you can design roller coasters and the fact you can save tracks that you've made which you like and use them again when you please (this website has some pretty good screenshots of the kind of crazy stuff you can build). I can't comment of how good RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and 3 are, but to me they just looked like a graphics update whilst adding more complexity to a game that didn't need it anyway. As the expansion Loopy Landscapes adds a load more roller coaster types and other rides as well as a whole pack of levels (it also contains the previous expansion Added Attractions, or Corkscrew Follies in America from what I can tell, which does the same - yet it doesn't seem to say that on the box for whatever reason) I'd recommend that too. The game can be a bit repetitive though, but the same can be said for almost any managerial game. Honestly this video was what made me re-install it. If you can find it cheap, I'd give it go.

Goodn't morning - yeah, I went there!

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I said "Theme Park" I meant Theme Park. I've played Theme Hospital, and that was quite fun, so I've been meaning to give one of these games a go too, but had pretty much forgotten about them until you posted. So thanks for the reminder and the information. Good morning.

9. Jojobobo

Yeah Theme Park is the predecessor of Theme Park World, and as to how good it is in comparison I can't really remember - I must have been less than 10 when I played the original Theme Park. Still I have played Theme Park World more recently than that, and it isn't as good as RollerCoaster Tycoon so I doubt Theme Park is as good either. EDIT: After watching some videos on YouTube the memories come flooding back, it's definitely not as good. Good afternoon.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot about Theme Hospital. I'll have to check it out again.

Good morning.

EDIT:
    It's a goddam eyesore. Click at your own risk.

11. Jojobobo

Why what's wrong with it? I thought the rollercoasters pictured in the "Cool Coaster Collection" (you know somethings cool if it says it in the title) and "Triple Racer Pack" were pretty impressive to be honest, especially given there isn't any copy and paste feature in the game to make replicating tricky parts of a track any easier in the case of the one with 12 interlocking loops - though granted the colour choices on some are a bit hideous. Good 5 o' clock.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

The grey background in general, the neon-green-text-over-said-grey-background in particular, and the resolution of the images. I suppose I could have said "web page design fundamentals" to save some key strokes, but I would have probably been asked to go into detail anyway.

Strong Bad achieved a worser web page but only because he was endeavoring to do just that.

Good evening.

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, you all said RollerCoaster Tycoon was better, but now I'm not sure because the internet seems divided on the issue. People are saying that the Theme Park World / Sim Theme Park / Sim Coaster series is more playable and fun, while the RollerCoaster Tycoon series provides more complex design possibilities, but has more awkward gameplay. Feeling a bit like Natalie Imbruglia right now. Torn.

Good morning.

14. Jojobobo

I thought you meant the rides he made sucked, yeah the webpage is pretty atrocious.

I would definitely go for RollerCoaster Tycoon given the choice of both. I've never found the gameplay to be awkward at all, in fact it feels much more precise than in Theme Park World and you can actually produce proper roller coasters. Plus you don't have an annoying helper bothering you every few minutes as seen here. EDIT: Actually, this shows the constant harassment a bit better. Having had more of a look, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 seems like essentially the same game as RollerCoaster Tycoon (same interface, only minor updates) so that may be the better choice, whereas the third one is no longer isometric and so probably feels quite different.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you choose Theme Park World you are a moron.

Good noon.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I am truly disappointed by its lack of a MIDI tune in the background. Good afternoon, nonetheless.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah, and it's missing a multi-coloured starfield background. Other than that, good jorb. And good morning.

17. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

18. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    A dark one in my thread? How exciting. Good morning.

Our Host!