Sierra being sold.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesBHoff, Dec 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xento

xento New Member

Is it just me or has the forums suddenly become unnecessarily stupid/insulting?

No, Windy. It's just you. :D

Hey, I figure that if I don't act obnoxious, people will make fun of me, and they will if I do act obnoxious as well, so I might as well act obnoxious and have some fun while I am being made fun of!

2. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

You're only obnoxious because you feel unloved. I heard that on T.V. too, it's great how powerful the magic box is.

All Hail the Television

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Damn, I missed the entire conversation.
    Ah, bless thee, quote function.

No, we hate it. Hence, the phrase "I hate your sig." That's not some kind of hippie-code for "I want to have your sig's love children."

Only if you were trying to be funny. If you were actually trying to be annoying, you'd probably screw that up too.

See above hippie-code comment.
    And since when could you buy whores in a store?

Only through your participation, nbrosz. Seriously.

Or you could just, I don't know, actually not be obnoxious instead of just acting like you're not.

4. xento

xento New Member

I'm very sorry, Etalis. I promise to try my best to be better. Seriously. :(

5. gamenut

gamenut New Member

i only have about 200 psx games and 100 pc games :-?

6. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

thats over 15,000 dollars on games!!! You must be one broke[exploitive deleted]. Either that or your parents are...Bill Gates...

7. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I cut out than artircle out of USA Today afew month's go that talk about why conglomerates fall apart. Not all conglomerates fall apart, like 95% do fall apart.

Half a century ago Harold Geneen and ITT wrote the book on the conglomerate. It seemed like a good idear at the time: Stich together an assortment of companies -- here a hotel chain, there a phone company into a
    vast corporate sampler. This idear of than conglomerates isnot new , it just was called than an conglomerates back then. US Steel was than vast holding
    of many steel mill's built by or bought out by the founder of US Steel, US Steel own coal mine's, iron mine's and cokeing plant's. They also use the by produst of the cokeing plant to sell the coal tar gas and chemical's to other manufactor's. The reason it was succueful was it has than forus on steel and it raw material needed to make it only , not on owning unrelate bussienes like
    than dyes manufactor( make color dyes for clothing) that need coal tar chemical's or clothing mill's that make clothesing.

1) Synergy clashes with business reality.

Strategy wonks love the idear of synergy , a 25 cent word that suggests
    that different kinds of animals can not only learn to play nicely together, but also complement each other. It's a great theory, but it happens to defy reality and human nature. What actually happens when you try to combine different people in different companies from different industries is that they fight like hell. The result is lot of wasted time, energy and money, not to mention failure. The reason US Steel work so well is there is than naturely synergy between coal, iron, and steel which does work it up set it up right. It isnot than force synergy like AOL-Time Warner. The AOL side spent the first year rubbing it in to folks on the Time Warner side that AOL has acquired them. Then when the internet bubble popped the Time Warner side spent the next year returning the favor. Meanwhile, customer's, shareholders and real business issues were ignored. The company's stock has fallen 60% this year, and the firm is the subject of a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation of its accounting practices.. It too soon to tell it AOL- Time Warner will stay impact.

8. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I have about that in PC games. I don't go for consoles because they change too rapidly, and you'd have to have several different consoles rigged up to play your games again. At least with the PC, you can play any of your games whenever you want, without having to build yourself a new PC to play them. Besides, I use emulators to play console games too. :)

On a side note: I play way too many games. :-o :grin:

10. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I have about¹ 5 console games. I play 1 of them semi-regularly.

¹Exactly

11. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

The only console that I ever bought games in a shitload for was playstation, and I think that was around 20 games, and I'm still not satisfied.

12. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Sorry about that it is only part of the artircle. Everybody has than unfound fear of one super vast global conglomerate controling very thing. It it is even
    form it will be it own worst enemy. Some people fear base upton the book of
    revalation that there will be than mergering of all the world different religions
    into one big vast superchurch, it willnot happen as there is no way you can come up with than unitry set of believe that can service as than foundation for it.

Bigger isn't better -- except maybe for the guy at the top.

The executrtives at the top of the pyramid like to brag that their corporation is bigger than your corporation. It's all ego and very little smart bussiness. But big companies have terrible track records when it comes to innovation. Bureaucracy has a way of killing new idears before they can make it to market. And companies that have been assembled through acquistions such as WorldCom, often discover that merging cultures and integrating far flung operation is much harder work than it sound.

Indeed, what also often occurs as in the case of Enron and WorldCom, is that the guy at the top delegates the handling of the nuts and bolts of the operation to the next rung down, and we know what happened in those cases.

It EB has not given SirTeck of Canada money to finish and release Wizardry 8 than great game would have die. Other media companies where more interest than makeing than fast dollar makeing than real time
    shooter or video game . How many great idear for game have die because of inaccurate marketing study's.

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

:nod:

14. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

:D :grin: :smile: :) :???: :sad: :eek: :-o :( :sad: :cool: :paranoid:

(my feelings towards previous statement, in chronological order)

15. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

In the 1970's Litcom than big defence conglomerate bought than supermarket chain thinking that they MBA executives can run that businen better than it average nonMBA owner who ran it for 30 year. The first thing they did was look at profiet margine of all items for sale. On gallon of milk on sale for one dollar they only make than 1/2 penny profet. So they MBA executives raise the price to four dollar for one gallon of milk.

Can anyone guess the outcome of their raiseing price 400% on all items in the supermarket than very compecter businen.

16. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

What exactly did that have to do with my quote? or do you think that was cute, so you decided to post it twice?

....plus I'm stumped.

17. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Here's the scoop on Chuck, He's like 50 something, has a learning disorder that makes him type all fucked up, and he prevented nuclear war between Israel and Egypt. Strangely enough, with a hand penned letter. I honestly can't remember the last time I tried to decipher one of his posts, usually I just read whatever the person wrote before and after him to get the gist. I recommend you do the same.

18. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Heh... I do the same thing. It's just not worth the headache.

Oh yeah, I did the same when DU was on his JuviSplurge.

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

He also goes off topic quicker than anyone else, has a ready amount of 'facts' to prove his case and disprove yours, and he quotes himself without adding anything, then posts it. Does it multiple times per thread as well. And he double and triple posts those.

20. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

Our Host!