Should I get it or not ???

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Menkhur, Jan 22, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Not too long ago I was walking down the isle at a Target store. I had just picked up a bag of 64 size 5 Cruiser Pampers (diapers) when I ran over (litterally) a box of the new D&D game.

I have not had a chance to play any game in the last 18 months due to the arrival of my first born, and I was VERY tempted to change the diapers for the game ... :thinker:

I love D&D (although I have not played in years) and I love what Troika did with Arcanum ... So I figured I would come back to the board and ask for opinions on the game before I purchase it.

Can anyone provide their thoughts on the game?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Simply put - if you like a straightforward good old dungeon hack, then it's the game for you. If you're more towards in-depth dialog, complex plot and a minimum of bugs, I suggest that you hold on to your wallet and wait until it hits the low price bin.

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Downsides: it's VERY buggy, short, and not very deep.

Upsides: Good dialogue, multiple beginnings depending on alignment, very faithful to DnD 3.5 and the orignial module. Pretty graphics. Get it if it's in the bargain bin. It is entertaining for a bit. just make sure you get the patch.

4. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Thank you

Very valuable feedback.

Specially coming from someone who made the time to reply while drowning on a pool of ink and someone who comes from a place that I can not pronounce.

I think that I will wait for it to be on super-sale rack then.

5. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Re: Thank you

I played computer game since 1978. The computer games before 1989 or 1990 where mostly entire bug free. The one after 1989 or 1990 where loaded with bug. There are many reason for this. The first computer games where simple DOS game with simple graphic and you didnot need than 3-d video card. The internet make it cheaper and easies to patch games so company donot needed to ship out than playable game with no bugs.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Charles, dear, you don't even have the brainpower to contribute to a thread. ;)

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I recommend getting it, on my last run through, I haven't experiensed any bugs, except CTDs when I try to cancel the read magic spell, and no slowdowns in the elemental nodes.

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

It's a definite bargain bin buy. I paid full price (hey, I help run the site, I have to) but even then feel I got at least some of my money's worth. There's a bit of replayability in there (play evil) but depending on what bugs you get, they do get annoying after a while (and they're all relatively minor things too, it's just that there's so many of them).

As has been said, not much story depth but EXCELLENT turn-based combat (provided you can actually hit your enemies, which is an issue I had for a while). Really good graphics too. A lot of the time I was simply marvelling at the animations. Seeing a giant frog jump out of the water with a splash (and appropriate sound effect), bound over to my men and start to eat them with his tongue... that's a "wow" moment.

9. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The computer games industry before the Worldwide Internet have to make games with basic no fatal bugs of any type. Let say X computer game company in 1980 sold 10,000,000 games with alot of bug on 4 5.25 inches diskette double side. For then to sent than patch to correct all bug would involse basic sent each regerist owner than entire new set of 4 5.25 inches double side diskettle at than cost of 2 dollar per diskette and 2 dollar postage and handleing for a total cost of 100,000,000 dollar and on than sale of than 30 dollar computer game the company make only 2 dollar for than total sale income of 20,000,000 dollar. Than company that make buggery game didnot stay in bussien too long. The first Wizardry game Wizardry 1 ran on IBM computer under IBMDOS with no bug at all.
    In compase Wizardry 8 you where told in the box you brought the game in that you have to download than patch to just be able to start the gamer to play.

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Games also used to only require one guy who was reponsible for the sound, art and code... There's also a lot less bugs in games when all you're doing is moving a graphic around the screen and making other graphics disappear as you do so.

11. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I thought you where one of the new uneducate internet user who think the internet alway exsit for billion of years. Even in 1989 there was local electron buttin board round but only in your dialing area. To download than patch from than Ca game company I would have to make than long distance phone call paying from 1 dollar amimuter to 3 or 4 dollar a mimutes despending where you where locate in America and I than not talking about make than International phone call paying international rate and fees and taxes back then. At 300 baud rate it would take 3 or 4 hour to download the Wizardry 8 patch just to be able to start the game I wouldnot have done so and alot of games player wouldnot have done so either. I have met young people who donot believe that computer games once came out with no bugs in then. The Pool of Radiance release in 1982 or 1983 was the first playable roleplaying game on computer that have no bug. Two week before shipping the game SSI discover there was no weapon for you to kill the vampire in the graveyard one of the major quest given by the city council. So they patch all the game already make and the one being make to have the city council give your party than weapon that was able to kill the vampire. SSI make sure all the game in that serie use the same keyboard keys for each action was the same from game to game. Mouse just same out than cost alot of money.

12. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Charles, that isn't what he said at all.
    He said that games have become vastly larger and more complex and if you write a shitload more code, there are going to be a shitload more bugs. And with that new huge game, you aren't going to be able to test enough to work out the bugs.

Oh, and Charles, what does the Qur'an say about bugs? I hear that they are all truly caused by the terrorists. They've been implanting bugs in our software to track us, so they can hunt us down. And the government is in it with them. It's all to get our games! Revolt!

13. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The early game on the computer use machine-code from assemble language which is harder to debug than hightter level language are. Plus not as many game where release as in the 1990's. The number of game being release today is going down as they are doing more testing in house to detect more bugs. In the late 1970's and thought 1980's there was no large internet provider like AOL so all online activaly for most user was local only with no sound, no gaphic just text. The internet ease of allowing patches to release to the public lead to slopply game programming and not deliverying than finish game with we can make than patches later on mindset. It than Wizardry 8 game came out in 1989 where you have to make than long distance phone call paying long distance rate like from El Paso to LA of 1 dollar per mimutes plus certain surcharges and the download at 300 baud rate would take 4 hours I wouldnot do so as it would add 240 dollar to the monthly phone bill possible close to 300 dollar that just to be able to play than 45 dollar game.

14. SirChet

SirChet New Member

Hi all:

I bought the game when I stumbled upon it at EB. Even before it was patched I still thought it was a very good game. Being from the days of PnP games I really like the turn based combat with the ability to see just what I rolled when attacking, and name another game that actually considers and shows non-lethal damage. I recently replayed it again,(4th or 5th time) and this time I used the fan fix patch from Co8 and it now is possibly one of the best RPG's I've played. I've been playing crpg's since Arena(Elder Scrolls #1) and now I have another favorite, I think any serious RPGer should own a copy.

Our Host!