Shall I Be Hammer Banned?

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by ytzk, Oct 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

All I remember was she was frothing at the mouth over her being the person to write it. Was very pushy. Anyway I've said my piece I'll say no more.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

How about just a disclaimer at the front, on behalf of the community, apologising for the rabid bitchiness of the rules?

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm honored at the mention Japes, but I'm lazy.

How about we take down the current stupid "rules," and people can figure out what the actual rules of this community are by the best way possible: lurking for awhile and not being goddamn retarded.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

More like an "ignore" feature. I would apply it to this thread and the entirety of the Role Playing forum.

I cannot believe there has been this much constructive discussion on the topic. Does the THE ALL-IMPORTANT FAQ need to be revised? No, and certainly not if any effort is to be expended on the task. The only activity that would be a bigger waste of time than revising THE ALL-IMPORTANT FAQ would be discussing doing so.

Congratulations all.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I second Philes idea. Just delete the damn 'rules' and let people learn by doing.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I see TheDavis is still working on the second half of my two-part proposed strategy.

7. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

So what if we kill a few in the process, such is life.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The first time I read the rules was about two or three months ago, as they had been written by xiao. I knew there were rules for posting, but I ignored them, feeling I'd be able to naturally acclimate to the forum. As a result, I expect every forum to be like this one, and am surprised at the lack of rule enforcement and/or flaming found on other forums.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Indeed. I never bothered to read the rules when I came here, but were warned by Wolfsbane about the climate and then forced to adapt to the forum. Which has made every other forum weak and in general worthless to me, except for the occasional laughter.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You haven't been flamed mostly because:
    • a) You started your activity here with sharing useful info,
      b) You don't act stupid (where stupid stands for double posting, writing without the slightest respect for language correctness, etc)
      c) We had a discussion some months ago, where the conclusion was not to flame newcomers without a cause, and you didn't provide one,
      d) Most of the newbie flamers have left the place or appear once in a blue moon as of late.
    Let me get this straight. You just encouraged banning you?

I see I have really gotten under your skin with the whole imposter thing, seeing how you no longer nominate my humble self and all.

From what I remember, that strategy proved to be a failure before Xiao wrote the rules.

My two cents is that leaving the rules is good, changing the rules is good, deleting the rules is bad.

It's true that all of our rules can be summarised to one sentence - "Don't act retarded". Anyone with common sense doesn't need them. But since common sense is a rarity these days, the superstickied rules at least partly keep the stupid of the outside world at bay.

11. Grossenschwamm

This forum's like a great crucible, the heavier elements sinking to the bottom (and staying), while the slag is scraped from the top. But, by the nature of this crucible, are we doomed to flame here forever while the undesirables inevitably escape? Surely there must be a mold into which we're poured so that others may identify us. This bastion of Arcanum will be our shelter, our home. By the nature of common shelters, we will see others seek respite in our knowledge of a game that, by human standards, is in third grade (or fourth, if it's advanced in some way).
    As we are cast into our roles here in the crucible of T-A, we must allow newcomers to take their own shape. Doubtless, all of us are unique. And not retarded.

12. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Muro, the fundamental flaw in your logic is that you assume everyone reads the rules. Most people probably just register, then randomly bump 7-year-old threads without even giving that thread a first glance.

Also, Gross, seriously man.

13. Grossenschwamm

Yeah, it was a bit much. What can I say? When I get bored and come here, anything goes. As I learn more about the world, I'll only become less sane.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Heavens, no. The rules aren't there to be read. There are there to be rightfully rubbed into people's faces whenever they do something against them.

Still, while I'm fully aware that the fraction of members who have at least touched the FAQ is - and always will be - a small one, my impression is that we had significantly less stupid around since it was created. Perhaps it's the supersticky, perhaps it's the death threat. What's important is that it works.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Having read all of your responses, I hereby withdraw my objections.
    However, I refuse to be bullied or tyranised. So in that sense, Muro, yes I encourage banning. When a bully says, "Hey do as I say or *threat*" I say, "Go ahead."
    If it were a dictatorship under Xiao here, I think I'd be glad to never return. Anyway, PEACE.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Man up bitch, she isn't here anymore.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Man up, bitch??? Are you hitting on me, trying to be offensive, or just being stupid?

18. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

The Do's and Don'ts according to Jungle Japes:

1. Don't gravedig. The 'Who needs a...' threads are exempt.
    2. Don't be a troll. If you're not sure if you're a troll, we'll let you know.
    3. Don't use aCiDcApS, ALLCAPS, oversized or colored text, lol's or emoticons unless you have some compelling reason for doing so.
    4. Don't ask for a custom avatar. When it's time you'll get one.
    5. Do use good English and spellcheck
    6. Do use the edit function instead of double-posting
    7. Do post material in the appropriate correlating forum.
    8. Do try to get a feel for the TA community before you start posting. Failure to do so will probably result in an unpleasant experience for you.

19. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

20. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It totally works, Jungle Japes made a great balance between courtesy and authority, and the other version added nothing except venom. Once again, to those who can accept it, PEACE.

Our Host!