'Scuse me why'll rim the sky...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Nov 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

So I got Skyrim today and whilst it's okay I don't find the game satisifying my needs. It seems good fun so far, me being an elder scrolls virgin, yet for some reason the experience seems lacking. Have you bought it yet? How'd you find it?

I've already 100% completed Arkham City and in terms of its predecessor I found it both lacking in story and setting. Ultimately if you're looking for an intriguing game this is not it, despite its improvements to gameplay over the first installment.

In regards to games I'm really excited about see this and this. For me this game looks unbelievably awesome for so, so many reasons. Shame it's gonna be a year or two before release.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Your title is a pun based on a game, Jimi Hendrix, and sexual innuendo. I enjoyed the combination of those three things so much, I've just boringly told you about it. I don't remember exactly when, but one of our members brought Dead State to everyone's attention at a much earlier date. It looks much nicer, now, and it seems the concepts being hinted at could be shaping up nicely as well.

3. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to bother with Skyrim. On the one hand I could not stomache more than the first couple of hours of Oblivion before giving up because of how hackneyed everything was. On the other hand I could buy the PC version of Skyrim and install a ridiculous amount of mods to get rid of the annoying hand-holding mechanics, then try to rush through the game to see if I can get any enjoyment from it whatsoever. If it is just Oblivion 2011 however, I don't think I'm going to be enjoying this title.

4. Grossenschwamm

Hey, are you sure there's something annoying about how the game was released, because according to the Skyrim Wiki, which I would hold to be a non-biased source of information (totally dubious claim), there's nothing at all wrong with the game.
    I haven't even touched my 360 in about 8 months. Geez, probably thought I'd abandoned it by now. It likes when I make my Fable 3 character have off-screen lesbian sex. Oh, actually, I like that, because the first time I ended up with a black kid. Seriously, immaculate conception in Fable 3. Black kid, immaculately conceived, child of the mightiest being in the known universe...nope, doesn't ring any bells. Because it was a little girl. I was one arbitrary code switch away from making Jesus. Totally would've done it, too.
    Alright, it's because the custom villager I made was supposed to be a woman, but somehow got coded as a guy, so in the village she's a woman; on the village map, she's a guy. Try as I might, I've only had one natural birth, who was black despite both parents being white. Genes don't make sense in that game. However, I have the only convincing transvestite spouse in the entire game...cause there's shouldn't be one there at all.

5. Jojobobo

Still it would have been better if had could have used the proper *while* in the title, need to learn not to post whilst drunk. In regards to Dead State, I couldn't remember where I'd heard about it from originally, I ran a search here but nothing came up so I thought I'd bring it up again.

What's Fable 3 like? It was slated in reviews which put me off, despite massively enjoying Fable 2 and buying all the DLC, etc.

People say that it's a significant improvement on Oblivion, not that I played Oblivion to comment. I'd still go for it if I were you and had money to spare; I'm warming more to the game now.

6. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Awesome game, enjoying it a lot. It's much better than Oblivion, and better than Fallout 3 as well.

7. Grossenschwamm

Cons: Combat actually occurs at a slower pace in Fable 3, Magic is ridiculously overpowered (you get 5 or 6 different spells to get up to 5th level...most enemies can't survive level 3 AoE on damage-oriented spells). There are only 3 potions, now; Health, Magic, and Summon Creature (which isn't a spell anymore for some reason but still works off of your magical skill). Also, the last "half" of the game is absurdly rushed. You need 6.5 million coins to save Albion, by the time half of the story goes by most people only have 500k to 1 million, and that's with every available job and owning every property. You're told you have a year to gather all of that money, and you might figure, "OH, an in-game year! That's actually plenty of time to do this!" Not really. Every time you bed down for the end of one day, apparently you pull a Rip van Winkle and sleep for at least 60 days. Your best bet is to wander around the game world as long as possible gathering money in some way after your duties as Monarch are decided, which, despite the "gravity" of each decision, are actually quite black and white; Make a children's workhouse into a school, or keep it as a workhouse and make 500k coins. It actually all comes down to that. Now, it's interesting, because this actually will make a lot of players on the "good" side while building up to this point decide there's no other way to save Albion, and they become a tyrant. However, all major decisions are always out of two possible options. Choose all of the options of tyranny, thereby breaking all of your promises, and you'll end up with more than enough money to save Albion. Keep all of your promises, and you'll literally need to work you ass off to save your kingdom. Also, everyone I played with wanted to have sex with my PC. I declined, because even though STD's aren't lethal in-game, you still look like a mess when you've got 12. Yes, I know there are condoms. Dialogue choices, for the player, are either nice, mean, or funny. You don't get to choose what the action actually is, you just know how people will respond. Unfortunately, funny ranges from burping and farting to flapping your arms like a chicken. Also, you have mini-quests to improve individual relationships, no more direct crowd-pleasing anymore.

Pros; Everything looks more refined in this game. It's the same engine, but environments are larger and more detailed, and all of the people in it are surprisingly not ugly, like in Fable 2. The world visibly changes with your decisions. Also, even if you maximize your physical skill, you're not guaranteed to look like a bruiser; use mostly swords and your character will become lean and dextrous, use mostly hammers and your character will become muscular and powerful. However, even playing as a female hero and using hammers constantly (as they cause more damage), I didn't become a Hulk analogue, like I would have in Fable 2 before the patch came out. Increasing your ranged skill does definitely make you tower over everybody though, and I'm sure being more than a foot taller than the average person helped to keep me from looking too beefy. You get to mix spells together now, meaning out of the 6 raw spells, you'd actually have 36 different options.
    You can level up your weapons three times, and each weapon has a different set of bonuses. Satisfy the requirements and you end up with a weapon worthy of your title. Game weapons are actually found at random. No two worlds, even on one system, will have the same weapons in it. You must trade weapons with other players to actually get all of them.
    You get wings eventually, but they're not there all the time-only when charging an attack for more damage. They're feathery when good and fiery when evil.
    Despite choices being black and white, there's nothing that says you can't mix and match. "Logging this forest is good for industry, I don't care if I'll never see those trees again in my lifetime (evil)! But, despite my brother's tyrannical rule and promise to end him, I will spare his life (good)."
    You can, of course, have kids in the game. You don't get to see them grow up, but you can get as many as you feel like paying attention to. There's also an option to adopt.
    Enemies actually comment on your fighting style and how much ass you're kicking (if they're human). They think using magic is a cheap trick, will brag about how no one can break their defenses if they block your attacks (followed by you knocking them flat with a flourish, of course), and when there's just one left he might have a desperate monologue, "Really, boys?! Is that the best we could do?!" They'll also comment about how much of a bad idea it was to attack you if you're killing them really quickly.
    And, you not longer need to feed the dog to heal him. Apparently, a good dog isn't just immortal-he's fucking wolverine. If your dog is trained in combat, he'll rip people's throats out when they're down, to the tune of "Someone kill that bleedin' dog!" Yes, your dog will be targeted at this point. There are 3 potions for breeds, Irish Setter, Alsatian and one to make your dog a border collie again.

8. Jojobobo

Nice review Gross, I'll probably get it at some point if I can find it cheap.

Yeah I'm enjoying it a lot now too. I think I might restart my character though, entirely unarmed Khajiits aren't as fun an idea as they first seem. Also I will say becoming a werewolf is very, very entertaining!

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

10. Grossenschwamm

I'll see if I can find a place to rent it without a monthly membership. I'm interested in the gameplay and setting. Kinda think Oblivion got everyone excited about how big it was going to be and got everyone disappointed. The only cool thing about that game was getting to play as a humanoid dinosaur.

11. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

So are they selling DLC yet? It won't surprise me when you have to start buying DLC just to finish the main plot line.

12. Grossenschwamm

Well, that would be quite appropriate, considering there's DLC out there released as "bonus content" when really, it was supposed to be in the game but there was no time for it. You get a teaser ending in this one, and then the "True, EPIC ending" in the DLC. That wouldn't piss people off at all.

13. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Rather strange thing to be excited about, since Oblivion is smaller than Morrowind, its predecessor.

Skyrim is running smooth. I have been playing for 24 hours or so and I'll probably play for another 25 before making a new character.

14. Grossenschwamm

I wasn't talking about the game world, but improvements in gameplay and story.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

Although I love Morrowind more than anything for nostalgia's sake if nothing else, if you compare stock Morrowind to stock Oblivion and stock Skyrim, you have to admit that Skyrim (for the most part) comes out on top. Morrowind had it on atmosphere and setting over Oblivion, at least for me - but some of the changes in Oblivion were pretty intuitive.

It bothers me somewhat when members come on forums and declare themselves TES virgins; it tells me that they're either not overly serious about PC gaming, or that they're kids and were too young to play predecessors (and I hate kids). Either way I think it's somewhat shortsighted to make judgments on a serious based on one installment, especially when said serious has been running for the last 20 years. Above point is more relevant on a forum dedicated to a specific, if obscure RPG.

What I dislike even more is when elitists bitch about the direction the series is taking -- this so called 'streamlining' and 'consolisation' of each successive game. Sorry folks, but the genre itself has been evolving since it's inception. Things like stat sheets and attribute modifiers are not really viable for a triple-A title in 2011. Simulated dice rolling is a thing of the past, for better or worse. Numbers are becoming less important to the player overall regardless of the 'heritage' of the series.

I am disappointed with some aspects of the game due to it being a console port (~40 FPS on a factory overclocked GTX580... Although I have hacked the shit out of the ini / nVidia profile. SSAO FTW), however overall I gotta say it's quite enjoyable. Some glitches of course, but at least now you can actually gain levels fairly quickly initially rather than relying on beating up ~40 mudcrabs aka Oblivion.

Tips for anyone playing is to disable FXAA and enter a drinking contest with a bloke in the Whiterun Inn. Christ knows I've had a few nights like that.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  17. Jojobobo

My brother owned Morrowind and I watched him on it a few times but I didn't like the look of it; at the time I didn't like the idea of some of the races which looked a bit cartoony and stupid. Also it seemed a bit random that you could find people at the side of the road who'd give you quests - if you could find a quest any where then I think that detracts from the idea of undertaking a quest; i.e. a difficult adventure requiring heroism or skill which shouldn't be given out by just any one. Finally though I'm not a kid it was slightly before my time, I'm only 21.

Just because I didn't like the look of Morrowind doesn't mean I'm not serious about playing classic rpg games; I played Diablo 2, Deus Ex, Fallout, some of the Icewindale series - all that sort of thing. As to being serious about pc gaming on the whole I'm not any more because my laptop isn't powerful enough to run brand new games. I was hardly making a judgment on the whole series, I'm sure if I played Morrowind today I'd enjoy it, but I won't bother now because if there's newer games in the series I probably wouldn't enjoy the predecessors as much in comparison. As to Skyrim, now I've played it for longer I'm loving it - I guess for most rpgs there's always a breaking in period where you're not too sure about the game. I wasn't too sure about Arcanum when I first got it many moons ago, but in a few weeks I learnt to love it, and now I would say it's my favourite overall game.

18. Cloaked Figure

Or, you're just a total fanboy. That might be a possibility you know, since you seem to think playing TES is such an integral part of PC gaming (it's not).

No one says that Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind suck. They say that Oblivion sucks. And it does.

Elaborate.

Dumbing down is not "evolving". Quest compass and instant travel to undiscovered areas on the world map are not "evolution". It's called hand-holding and it's meant to cater to the 12 year old kids who buy the game.

:lol:

Dragon Age: Origins wants to have a word with you. And FO3. And New Vegas.

No. Numbers are what makes an RPG what it is. My character has 25 strength. Yours has 18. You have 18 intellect. I have 15. And etc. That is what makes an RPG what it is. That's what gives it re-playability, that's what makes you enjoy leveling your character.

I don't remember leveling actually being anything to worry about in Oblivion. They had this extremely intuitive level-scaling system.

Anyways, I think it's quite clear what you want from a game. You want a big cool sword, you want to become the master of every guild, you want to kill dragons and become the absolute god of everything in the universe.

I want a unique game world where I can nurture a character as he levels and mold him into something I find interesting, and then enjoying the way that my character interacts with this game world.

Dragon Age: Origins and FO3 gave me this. And they are both somewhat recent AAA titles. Oblivion was a piece of shit and it's about time TES fans admit this and move on.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Troll becomes obvious when you call Oblivion's level-scaling "extremely intuitive".

20. Cloaked Figure

It's pretty obvious I was being sarcastic in the context of my post.

Our Host!