"Save file corrupt" bug?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Hamster Friend, Dec 10, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Hamster Friend

Hamster Friend New Member

For specs' sake, I installed both the last official patch and the Unofficial Patch. I seem to run into this bug regardless of which patches I have installed though.

Seemingly at random, whenever I try to save my game I get this message to the effect of "Save file corrupt! Failed to save!" Most of the time it seems to be able to save again right after I either finish a quest or level-up (I haven't quite been able to observe exactly what condition 'fixes' it). It plagues me whether or not I try quick-saving (F7) or saving from the menu.

It's no big inconvenience if I were to obsessively save after every quest I complete but occasionally I get lazy and just blitz through a bunch of short quests consecutively (i.e. Isle of Despair), then go to Tarant and do some shopping/storage...only for the game to refuse to save and me having to shut the computer off for dinner or some other reason.

So, has anyone else encountered this bug?

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You didn't start a game on vanilla, THEN install the patches and try to play your old save did you? That would be bad.

Other bad things could be a messed up hard drive. That would also be bad.

That's all I could think of.

3. Hamster Friend

It's most likely that since I tend to repeatedly install/reinstall the game depending on how productive I plan to be in a given week, so I might forget which patches were installed with which saves. The problem does still crop up even if I start an entirely new game with the patch(es) installed though.

Could it be incompatibility issues with the version of the game I have installed? On vanilla and even with the patches in, it shows garbled text for some of the backgrounds during character creation (specifically it has Charlatan's Protege and Debutante showing what I can only describe as slightly less confusing Wingdings) and on the stats screen itself, the traits' abbreviations seem to be in...Russian (I'll put up some screenshots if need be). Everything else in the game shows up in proper English though.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You might just have a bad install. Try a fresh install, but unless you're careful with your save files you could lose them, and even if saved it's possible they might be corrupt as well, if a bad install was making them. That last part was speculation, however.

5. Hamster Friend

Must be that I got some version that's either Russian, or somehow has a Russian patch partially-installed or something since it shows the Russian stat abbreviations with or without the patches. I'm going to try the complete uninstall+delete (complete with some CCleaner registry wipes) and see if that fixes it, otherwise I'll have to hunt down another copy of the game.

Our Host!