Satires and references in ToEE

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Dark Elf, Nov 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I know, there's a similar thread regarding Arcanum (sorry Sigurd). I'm such a shameless copycat, am I not?

Oh, and since this thread may (and probably will) contain its' fair share of possible spoilers and whatnot, I recommend that those of you who haven't got far in the game to stop reading now. Please? I don't want to be held responsible for destroying your game you know. :)

Anyway, I was just thinking - Tolub. Rearrange the order of that name and you might end up with Bluto. Who, like everyone surely knows, is the adversary of Popeye. There are similarities. Like Tolub, Bluto is a big, brawling pirate/sailorman character. A bit far-fetched perhaps, but the similarities are there nonetheless.

Aaaargh! I can't be having much of a life if I continue figure out things like this!

2. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Um...you are very very strange. I believe that they just came up with the name of Tolub, not mix up the name of a character fromPopeye.

So your strange findings there are some very pointless findings.

Now if the city was named Otulb or something, I would maybe think differently. What I think is that you must have been watching Popeye or something...or you're just a very strange person who sees some of the wierdest things.

EDIT: You also do know, that the name of Tolub was not created by Troika and the storyline of Temple of Elemental Evil was also not created by Troika, right? Greyhawk was actually a book series or something that was created around the time of DragonLance and Forgotten Realms, I believe....

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil was one of the first modules created for D&D by Gary Gygax, back in the 80's.

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Well, I kind of knew what I was talking about. I do know that Troika didn't create it...

How much books were created for that series thing?

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

1. Angrams are NOT easter eggs. They are nearly always unintentional.

Popular easter eggs are references to Commander Keen IV (one of the greatest games ever), works by Heinlein, and other science fiction and fantasy. Angrams are not it.

Temple of Elemental Evil was a book in D&D. (1) book, you used others for rules to go along with it. Q, if your question was how many D&D books there are, or even how many were in those early 80s ones, that is a much larger more complex number

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Bah, ignored again, Sigurd revived my idea (see the thoughts thread in Arcanum Hints and Tips)

What?, my 100th post, well this calls for a celebration (give sideways glance to large glass bottle on other side of room)

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Sorry RV... :cry:

Great. Have one for me too.

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Just read your post, so am returning to bottle.

Before this gets off topic (sorry about that Dark Elf) I would like any further posters to go back to the top of this thread and read what you are supposed to post here.

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

ToEE is an old D&D module brought back to life. As old fans were the main target, I'm sure that an abundance of easter eggs would ruin the game for them.

10. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Maybe I should go in search for some of the books and read them....should be interesting.

Though, I have heard some bad things about the books and the very last book sucked or something...

11. DrakeMaliketh

DrakeMaliketh New Member

Easter Egg

I know that when you're travelling around and meet a group of adventurers who say they are looking for a statue with gems in its eyes. This is an exact representation of an old D&D dungeon master's guide (i think) cover art which shows a group of adventurers macthing their description trying to get the gems out of the eye sockets of a massive statue. Me being an evil party at the time i just killed them all and looted the bodies for some mild magical items, i expected a little more, but whatever.

12. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I play D&D and I remember a dungeon somewhat like this. We went to this place, and there was an ogre there. He was sleeping, so we decapitated him. We went further in, and there was a rogue. He'd sneaked past the ogre and was going to go into the room with the statue. We tied the rogue up, because we wanted the treaure ourselves. So we went into the room and there was a hell hound, the pet of the ogre. We slaughtered it, but didn't take the eyes of the statue, fearing there might be some curse.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Could that, by any chance, had been the original ToEE module?

Not that gem-eyed statues are uncommon in games like this, just curious.

Our Host!