RPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by malice, Feb 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. malice

malice New Member

Ok...so i just bought POR (pool of radiance). Very nice graphics..shit all roleplaying, there are hardly any NPCs, the storyline is very faint and half way through the game i feel like what ive bought resembles more of a dungeon romp. Despite Arcanums poor graphics, the roleplaying has been far more enjoyable then running at the pace of a sightseeing group around dungeons. ONE other thing is how much i appreciate the ability to switch between turn based, fast turn based and real time in arcanum. not all battles require turn based mode...infact its damn annoying when you dont want to spend 10minutes fighting a few zombies that walk slower then turtles...one at a time until they reach you and actually begin battle.

Since this ive been desperatley looking for games that dont lack in roleplay..but have more appealing graphics. The only games resembling this that ive found seem to all be online roleplaying games that require monthly subscriptions to play (eg everquest and the likes, which brings to mind the suggestion of horse riding in arcanum or somthing? am also looking out for rpgs which have that) which would be fine if i HAD cable and lived in the states...over here in Aus..a mere 10bucks a month transforms into 20bucks a month ontop of cable which is rarely availible here and VERY costly.

If anyone knows of any such games, please let me know?

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

A fellow Aussie!! Cable access in Australia would be nice, wouldn't it?

3. malice

malice New Member

ahhh! yes it would be excellent =o) I live just outside of Brisbane, sunshine coast..and from what i hear..even in Brisbane cable is lacking..only in very small sections even in metro areas. Not to mention the pricing. I could well do with cable....but not enough to move to the states =op

4. DarkUnderlord

Yeah.... I'm in Adelaide. The ONLY way to get anything close to cable is to move to the city. There's a company there that has high-speed data-access (internode I think it is) but they only serve the CBD.

Personally, I hope Telstra is sold for $50 Billion and they spend some of that $$$ on giving everyone in Australia CABLE ACCESS!!!

Then, I might be able to play Starcraft with a decent player and not someone who I just walk all over.... :sad:

EDIT: Oh... If you want a good RPG, try Fallout or Fallout 2. (NOT "Fallout: Tactics"). They're by the same people who made Arcanum (well, some of the same people). Of course, you probably already HAVE Fallout...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkUnderlord on 2002-02-12 14:50 ]</font>

5. malice

malice New Member

Rofl Telstra...even if they did provide cable acess EVERYWHERE...i very much doubt they'd quit dreaming when it comes to pricing. For around $40 here you can get a dial-up plan here from Telstra...with BOTH limited time and download, which they seem to think they can charge because of their name. Like most net users ive changed isp's many times until i found one that dosent have either limits but also has a decent dial-up speed and good network so i dont get cut off every friggin 3 hours, instead i now have a 12 hour kick off time with no wait period...all for the same price of 40 bucks.

So the sad thing is even if they DID have cable in my area...i wouldnt shell out 300 or so to obtain it anyway..unless i was super rich...other then that id have to seriously question my sanity once again if i were to give up eating and living costs to afford it =op

as for fallout ive already had that lol,...i wish they would spend an equal amount of time on graphics and roleplay to come up with somthing that dosent lack in either...so far its give or take them both...great graphics..shitty role-play vice versa ect! I know the role-playing is more important but it aint pen and paper anymore, they do have some graphics therefore you cant fully use your imagination right? might aswell have good graphics if its going to take that part away from the original pen and paper.

6. DarkUnderlord

I tend to agree.... I'm sure if they hired some good artists, they could make some very nice looking graphics and still keep the good solid RPG elements....

I think it would be nice to see a game with great graphics AND great gameplay (On a side note, it'd probably sell better too).

:throwup:

7. zlobster

zlobster New Member

whatever u do don't move to the states... horrible place i tell ya

8. malice

malice New Member

Exactly...im sure they'd lose a few of the hack and slash players that prefer great graphics but with zero gameplay...yanno the kinds where u simply complete a level and up you go!.

But i feel no pitty for them theres plenty of those friggin games right?

I dont know why they cant work on the graphics aswell...its not impossible if they had them working together to improve the graphics while keeping it an actual RPG, and your right theres plenty of ppl already hooked and plus all the newbies they'd hook with the improved graphics and option to switch to real-time.

IF I wanted to do it all in my head id stick with the pen and paper RPG, but playing it on a pc (unless your using "mud") with actual graphics they might aswell be good.

Haha...well as trashy as the states is....Aus is not far behind sadly -sighs-

9. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Well I never been to Aus... :sad:

10. malice

malice New Member

rofl well dont let me deter you!
    It's a great place but its not hard to see that were doomed to end up like America in most respects =o)

Our Host!