Removing Dwarven Spell Penalty

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Earth Nuggets, May 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Earth Nuggets

Earth Nuggets New Member

A couple days ago, I spent some time making custom backgrounds for each race that would reverse all racial bonuses and penalties. However, there's one thing I was unable to change: the Dwarven penalty for casting spells. Is there any way to turn this off, especially in the effect.mes file? Is there anything I can attempt to get rid of it, or somehow throw it off?

2. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I don't know but maybe a spell cost *.5 would work if there is a spell cost command. Female is in Mes files so first I would look for Dwarf and whatever they said xxxx*2 I would put in Background xxxx*.5 to counter it. (if Dwarf is in Mes.)

maybe someone else can tell you for shure what it is or if it's just hard coded and unchangeable. would be neat to be able to add + Tech and spell cost *2 to a background called Techie for use for every race except Dwarf.

3. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

You can get rid of stat penalties, but stat bonuses are hardcoded. E.g. let's say you replace effect for Half Ogre race with a blank line. Then Half Ogres will be able to get both IN20 AND ST24.

And, yes, dwarven fatigue use for spells is hardcoded as well.

4. Earth Nuggets

Earth Nuggets New Member

Yes, you're right. I didn't even check that out. Oh well, I guess I'll just balance the Dwarves by giving them back their tech alignment and tech skill bonuses. Then I'll just ignore the hardcoded stat bonuses by never going over 20.

5. team a

team a New Member

I'm not sure, but I think the maximum stat is based on each starting stat plus twelve, or 1 if the stat starts at 1. So, eliminating all the built-in bonuses should result in a max of st20 and in20, and creating a custom background to reverse the racial bonuses while leaving the originals intact should have the same effect. Not that it matters in the case of dwarves, because the effects in question aren't determined by effect.mes.

6. Darkform

Darkform New Member

this won't work I just remembered max stat is race base +12 -background. the + background doesn't effect max so if you do this and play Half-Ogre your max Str will be 20 but your max Int will still be 16 even tho both start at 8.

Our Host!