Recommendation for a quality Arcanum-related read

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Nov 8, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Just finished reading this complete Arcanum Let's Play created by RK47 from the RPG Codex and damn was it good.

Quite possibly something having 43 chapters/22 forum pages falls into your "I have neither the time nor the patience for this sort of crap" category, which is, of course, fully understandable.

Therefore, for the moment being, forget how long it is. Imagine only the first chapter was created and read just that. Chances are, it will suck you in like quicksand and won't let go till the very last entry.

It sure worked like that for me.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've read up just past Quintarra, and I have to say it's pretty good so far. It's quite humurous at points, and I like how the main character has detectives on his tail. I'll read some more later.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I've read another LP of Arcanum, but I don't know where I found it. This one is equally amusing as the last I've read. Can't seem to find that other one, though. But, it had a female protagonist.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Gross: You remember correctly.
    It was "Let's Play Arcanum" and was stored at somethingawful.com at the time.
    The old link is no longer valid - you need to "update" (join, I think) to view it there.
    However - I've still got it, it seems to be complete (very quick scroll-through), and I've got it zipped up, and starting to upload now.

It's well worth a read.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Rroyo! Well, I'm glad I wasn't completely off kilter. I do remember it being on somethingawful, but I actually read it as recently as September I believe, so it may have just gotten too old for non-members to read. I found a lot of stuff on those forums, and wanted to join, but I'm not spending 10 dollars to talk about the same stuff I would in GD. Though, I must admit, after reading one of the threads there, apparently a blind guy is a member of the forum and he was talking about how he goes about his daily life, and I wondered what it would be like to have never known sight.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Damn you and your links Muro, I want those hours back......(not really, that was an awesome link, thanks).

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

8. EBM

EBM New Member

Regarding Muro's link, it's an excellent read indeed, though fairly uninteresting until the detective plot kicks in. I just finished reading the part about the showdown at the West Garillon Bridge. I wish that segment had turned out a bit differently, but oh well. Onward!

9. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing; this is pretty amusing!
    With the inclusion of random avatars for the characters in this series, it reads like I'm playing Shadowrun for the SNES.

As a fan of technology, my initial character was a half-elf electrical engineer and I was going to ease myself into a full-blown magic character. Over four playthroughs, I had planned on making the transition from technology to magic as follows:
    • tech: male half-elf electrical engineer
      skill/tech: male human techno-thief
      skill/magic: male halfling thief mage
      magic: female human summoner
    This "Let's Play" (and probabbly Parcheesi my Pathfinder gnome summoner) has inspired me to go for the gusto with Matilda Eidolon, human summoness extraordinaire!

Our Host!