Real-life benefits from playing Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by MatahChuah, Dec 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I was going to post this in the Hint's&Tips, but this is the better place.
    Basically, the title explains it.

1. Like alot of games it helps your hand-eye cooridination.
    2. Helps with strategy.
    3. Helps you track several things at one time.

I can't think of any more. That's why I posted this here, for you to add to it.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

I love Arcanum, but your list sounds suspiciously like one a child would come up with to justify his video game habit to his parents.

1) It improves my hand-eye coordination! *parent hurls a baseball at the lazy kid's head and signs him up for Little League*

2) It helps me think strategically! *parent starts leaving chess pieces where the kid can step on them and signs him up for a critical thinking course*

3) It helps me learn to multitask! *exasperated parent revokes computer privileges and seriously considers military school*

Real real-life benefit of Arcanum: Entertainment.

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

You learn about beauty and society reaction.

Yes real society is as swallow in this matter as Arcanum society.

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I was being serious, canis lupass.

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Yes. That's why I found it so sad.

I wonder how many people really think that Madden NFL is exactly like actually getting off your fat ass and playing football.

I've also got a rant prepared about gastrointestinal bypass surgery, but would be pushing the limits of off-topickness.

6. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

Tholtan think, Arcanum helps with your own insults reservoir.

7. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Indeed it does. Here's an adaptation of one of the insults. I can't decide. Are you a fuckwit or a half-wit. Here's one that could also be seen as an adaption but I credit myself 97%. There's this fat dumbass guy and he says stuff like "Well I have a huge dick". So I said. I can't decide if you're male or female. Because you say your dick's big, but your boobs are even bigger. Priceless!

8. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I don't know what you are talking about one way or the other. I've never seen "fuckwit" in Arcanum. I thought that was your own invention, and laughed hard and derisively both times you used it against me...

9. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

My favorite is: Death and I are old friends, allow me to introduce...

It's: I can't make up my mind; are you a dimwit or a lackwit.

10. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Actually, I said adaptation. And surprisingly enough my most used (but not favourite) insults are those that say people are dumb.

11. Arrius

Arrius New Member

Benefits?

I can't really see many real-life benefits to playing Arcanum other than the fact that it's great fun. If anything, I'd say the long, sleepless nights, glued to the computer, trying to complete one more quest were more hamful than beneficial.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Re: Benefits?

Appearently, it forced you to write every post you make blue. ;)

As for real-life benefits of playing Arcanum... none. For one thing, it's that games' fault that I turned out to be a regular at this forum, and that should in every instance be regarded as a personal setback. :lol:

13. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

You can learn to script by moding Arcanum.
    But since you need to play Arcanum in order to mod it the lines are blured.

14. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

Believe it or not, video games *do* help with such things as critical thinking and hand-eye coordination. There have been studies done that prove that! (If I had access to my term paper, I'd give you the approrpiate links...)

It may seem odd, but they do help. And as far as critical thinking classes / baseball, I'd like to point out that those are *not* fun activities, but arcanum is (OK, the class might be, depending on the teacher, but baseball is pure yucky -- give me a swim or a bikeride for my exercise).

15. Canis

Canis New Member

First of all, posting in ancient threads is frowned upon here. Prepare for an onslaught of "nice gravedig" posts.

May I ask how old you are, and how much education you've had? Critical thinking and logic were some of my favorite classes in college. Learning how to use one's brain more effectively was a joy and a delight, and not one person was ever bored in any of the classes, regardless of the professor (that's a kind of "teacher", fyi).

While you are of course entitled to your opinion regarding any sport, you may NOT point out that baseball is "not fun and pure yucky" as though it were an undeniable fact of the universe. Exercise is one thing, but as I was talking specifically about hand-eye coordination I believe baseball trumps both swimming and cycling. Both fun activities by themselves, but hardly on the same level of complexity and intensity as baseball. Wait, you're not one of those effeminate guys who play softball are you? *shudder*

It remains that whatever the benefits may be of sitting on your fat ass all day in front of a computer making imaginary progress in a fantasy game, actually going out and living will always be better. Children, despite the protests of the computer geeks, do not NEED early exposure to technology in order to be good at it later in life; what they need is to live, learn, grow, and experience as suitable to their species. I never even had a computer until I finished college, and I've no trouble with the mysterious magickal box. And have you considered that some people might not think that Arcanum is much fun at all?

Side note, Eric Gagne could kick your swimming, cycling, computing ass any day. :)

16. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Ah Canis, I'm so glad you remembered my line.

What if he's Chinese, they all learn Kung Fu.

17. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Nice gravedig, haha.

Actually, I think it's okay to reply to old topics in forums that are pretty slow. If it were the GD or hints and tips, I'd say no, but since it's here, it's pretty ok.

18. Canis

Canis New Member

No. Eric Gagne is Canadian, and a formidable hockey player. He nearly decapitated an umpire last season when he got thrown out of a game.

He's my hero. :)

19. Wolf

Wolf New Member

No, I was talking about the guy who posted before. Also, I'm disappointed that no one flamed me for my dumbass comment.
    Anyway, how could a CANADIAN be ANYONE'S hero?

20. Canis

Canis New Member

I know who you were talking about. I was saying that Eric Gagne could still kick his little pansy kung-fu ass, but it's not as impressive when it has to be explained.

Not just Canadian either, FRENCH Canadian. And if the French Canadian in question is a Cy Young winner, and the best closer in the game, and the most beloved player on the team, AND the most intimidating thing to charge out of the bullpen since, well, ever.... Dude, you're just jealous because he's not on YOUR team. :p

Our Host!