Range penaltis on Firearms reversed?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by GuyeNoir, Jul 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

I noticed something very strange earlier today: It seems guns become more accurate when I'm out of range (eye icon appears over bulls-eye) then when in range. And sometimes accuracy gets even lower when I get closer. Sometimes accuracy predictably gets lower when I move further away, then goes up again when I move beyond a certain point. A number of times I've watched an enemy approach my character in turn-based combat and my accuracy goes down as he walks closer. It's somewhat disturbing.

I've done a number of tests whereby I move closer and further away from a number of different enemies and watch what happens to accuracy. The results are really weird and inconsistent.

Is this some kind of weird glitch? I patched to the latest version and installed Drog's unofficial patch and high res patch. No mods or addons beyond that.

2. kcwong

kcwong New Member

Bump (seeing this thread only has no replies at all...)

I recently started Arcanum again, after discovering Drog Black Tooth's wonderful, amazing, stunning and absolutely mind-blowing UAP, High resolution, No Level Cap and Extra Contents patches.

My first character is a gun-toting girl, and I observed the same problem as GuyeNoir, with a number of different guns (Fine Revolver, Charged Accelerator Gun and Rifled Cannon).

I play with one extra mod:
    Krupp's All-in-One Gun mods (Filename: krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip)
    It is applied over UAP.

I've been digging around the forums for the last few days, and it seems Drog Black Tooth's taking a break from modding Arcanum, is that correct?

If so could another fellow member with modding knowledge take a look at this and confirm GuyeNoir and I are not going nuts?

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    WHERE were you conducting your tests? Was it on an open field? Lighting and obstacles do alter your accuracy. Sure you have ruled out all possible variables?

4. kcwong

kcwong New Member

I first notice it in Hardin's Pass... so perhaps you are correct. I know that the line-of-fire is not obvious - in narrow cave passages I often get the wall icon (during my turn) when I thought I had a clear line of sight.

In Hardin's Pass has large amount of rocks, bush and followers (I had 5), so obstacles could indeed be the reason. That, and perhaps the information is not fully updated during AI turns (so the wall icon wasn't shown, just the changing percentage).

I'll test it further in open field near Tarant.

Thanks Dark Elf! :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but I've got this report:
    So I guess, there's something wrong with the chance to hit on the engine level.

6. Narmy

Narmy New Member

From what I have noticed, there is a "sweet spot" to shoot at, and your accuracy goes down as you get closer or further from that certain distance.

Our Host!