Radio Hitchiker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Settler, Jun 5, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Settler

Settler Member

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series? I know the entire series is on the DVD of the TV series, but it's probably around somewhere on the net, so it's a no-brainer.

I just finished Life, the Universe and Everything, and I've got to say, it's the best one yet... :) Marvin's still in top form :cry: ...

2. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I know I will get weird looks but I find that the second best HHGG book (the first being the best) is Mostly Harmless.
    A great, logical ending to one of the greates sci-fi trilogies ever.

3. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

The orginal Star Wars kicks the pants of HHGG

4. DEATH AT THE DOOR

The original HHGG kicked, kicks and will kick the pants of Star Wars with it's round character, intellectually-stimulating side facts and memorable locations.
    But of course you wouldn't know what's "intellectually-stimulating" means, Sea Dog.

Just kidding about the second part ;).

5. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Fine, no go on Star Wars eh? Your just playing hard to convince. What about LotR. And know I don't give a shit about the two novels per book coz it's three books not six.

6. Settler

Settler Member

Well, I've got my hands on a copy of So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish, and it's...odd. Yes, I know how bizarre that sounds when I'm talking about a HHGTTG book, but...hmm...

I've read about 80 pages so far, and I like it. There hasn't been any real humour as such, and it's a bit more grounded than normal...but meh, it's all good. I've heard that Adams "writes in one-liners"...this is the first time where that's not the case.

Aaaaaargh! Why am I just disgusted at what I wrote?!

7. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

I'll tell you why your disgusted. Your posts are annoyingly conversational. Who the hell goes "hmmm" or "meh" and you over use the "..." It's like saying "Lol" on a forum. Your unlucky because you live in Australia and I can and will track you down and kill you

8. DEATH AT THE DOOR

LotR is... So-so.
    The descriptions are good, the idea is good (welsh and celtic myths combined to make Middle Earth) but the characters are flat and the story's fairly predictable. Yes, it's the granfather of modern fantasy but it doesn't mean it's good.
    Of course my point of view is fairly subjective but isn't everones'?

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I thought they were kinda boring myself. It's never a good sign when you have to force yourself through books. It was all so damn lengthy.

Now, Bilbo on the other hand, there's a book I like...

10. DEATH AT THE DOOR

I was surprised to read that I am not the only one to prefer The Hobbit to LotR.

Yes, the Hobbit was a very good book.

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

the hobbit's the only one i've read. my step-dad read the others to me as a bedtime story when i was eight... i remember being fascinated. but that might've been due to the fact that i practically worshipped him, not cuz the books were any good...

12. DEATH AT THE DOOR

I read them arround... from 8 to 9, I don't remember. I liked Hobbit then but I have no idea if I'd like it, would I read it now.

13. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

The Hobbit is awesome. LOTR sucks donkey dick. Meh, they're okay, but I just got bogged down what with all the genealogy lessons in them. Gimli son of Gloin, fine, but only because I fucking know who Gloin is. Was. The whole "man" race and their Fuck-head, son of Ass-wipe, son of Pizza-face, heir to the throne of Porcelain... BORRR-ring.¹

¹My opinion. Disagreement with opinion may cause butt rash.

Meh.

14. Settler

Settler Member

Yeah, I tore through the Hobbit when I was about 8, loved every second of it...LotR took me about three years to get through, on and off. It's good, but not great.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, chalk up another one up for someone (me) who prefers the Hobbit over the LotR series. I frequently skipped past the boring parts of LotR, like Tom Bombadil and all the other songs, and seriously, could Frodo and Sam's journey have been any more boring, farcical and wannabe tragic?

16. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

I agree with the LOTR books being boring, I flew through the hobbit and only just finished the first book.

17. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

OH, FRODO...I'MA CUMMING MR. FRODO! FRRRRRROOOOOOODDDDOOOO! :-o
    Hobbit was and is good for its tager audience. Keeps the kids' attention etc. But Lotr was the first lengthy book I read and I liked it. HHGG has too many one liners and the humour is relatively predictable, gets old and drones on for too long.

Rosie, it sounds kinda disturbing about you and your step-father

18. Icairus

Icairus New Member

You know what's even better?
    The Silmarilion.
    You should all read it, it is so exciting and interesting, it is far better than The Hobbit.

19. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Already tried that. In fact, I borrowed it from the library a few years before I dared reading the Lord of the Rings. I'd just gone through reading Bilbo and I thought that hey, this Tolkien guy ain't that bad, let's see what other books of him there are available and well... I think I stumbled upon the cure for insomnia. Couldn't even force myself through it, it was given back to the library with only a few pages read.

You know, I bet there are morgues with a higher fun factor...

Our Host!