question about Dog

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Serak Vulnar, Oct 8, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

I managed to rescue Dog for the first time. But his reaction is only 30. I thought if you saved him his reaction was like 1000 love. I didn't kill the gnome only backed him down, should I have killed him?

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

re-load your back up save game and find out...

you DO back up earlier save games before you enter towns and caverns and dungeons dont you?

other than that think if you get him killed and then resurrect him he'll be very hapy with you, but i've never played a magick user but i've heard this method described in other posts.

3. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I know that if you resurrect the dog then you can't get it to join you... and I didn't get to the dog in tyme, so I just cut up the Gnome for fun... :D

4. gargob

gargob New Member

I said him I'll kill him then Dog stood up and killed him himself.

5. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

It works best if you go immediately to where dog is and stop the gnome from hurting him. It doesn't matter if you kill the gnome or not, but I've never had dog kill him. If you stop the gnome and either run him off or kill him, dog should join you with a neutral attitude of 50 unless something is really weird about your character.

Later on, if dog gets killed and you resurrect him, his attitude will go up towards you by 20 points, but I wouldn't let him get killed just to do that. I had Gar get killed and almost couldn't resurrect him because he was too techie for me and I wasn't magical enough so the first time the spell fizzled. Luckily, I had a second scroll with me. His attitude went up by 20, too. I guess getting an arm lopped off and being brought back to life does wonders for a bad attitude, eh? :roll: Gar also stopped being such a prissy pain in the neck after that.

I always try to get dog, so I'm pretty used to dealing with him and he's very consistent. If he reacts badly to you, there has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with your character. Then again, I don't usually play really evil types, so I can't say how he reacts to them. My characters tend to be good or neutral and generally ruthless.

Sinbad

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've found that Dogs reaction towards me is Beauty dependant (like a dog would care of your looks...). I've always had Dog around 40-42 in reaction when I get him, that with a BE of 9 (I generally play elven characters)

So, it might as well be your beauty lacking. Or your background - the "Sold your Soul" background gives you a -20 modifier to reactions.

7. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

I do have the sold your soul background for my evil elven mage. My beauty is 12 though. I tried feeding him, but it didn't raise his reaction.When I get home from work, I'm gonna reload and see if I get a different reaction level.

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Dead wrong.

-20% reaction score. People & dogs just don't like you as much. As long as Dog is better than 20 don't worry.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

You need to be patched.

10. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I am patched. and I cannot resurrect the dog and have it join me... oh! oops! lol, sorry, I just caught on to a flaw in what I was saying... sorry... let me explain: I got to the dog AFTER the gnome had killed it, and I resurrected it... it didn't join me, it just stood there stupidly looking around (it's name went from ''scrangy mutt'' to ''dog")... oh, btw, did anyone notice that there happens to be a similar case in both FO and FO2? (Dog Meat) hah... I loved that dog... I'm glad someone brought him back... :D :) :D

11. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

Yes. Fallout and Monty Python references are rife in this game.

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

<WaRning: oFf topiC pOst AheaD>

is he really that good? i didnt notice dog the first time i ran through whatever that town is, so i havent used him yet.

of course fallout was rife with monty python references so perhaps you could look at it as a reference to a fallout reference... nm

Matt, the dog characters (something like 6 of them!) were pretty useless in my opinion... even the cybernetic dogs were shitty fighters compared to other characters you could have had... if they had been FREE characters it would have been cool though. I never used dog meat though, i think i read somewhere that that was a mad max reference or something. something about a cafe of lost souls etc. i never had that random encounter, whats the deal with that?

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Did you try talking to the do? Perhaps feeding it a piece of jerky? Bending down & letting it sniff your hand? O. K. click on the dog, that should do it.

14. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

Dogmeat was well and truly a Mad Max reference. Watch Mad Max II, the one with the fuel tanker. The only difference is that Dogmeat isn't a blue cattle dog.

The image is of a guy in leathers with a dog driving a car across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. All they needed was a guy calling himself 'lord humungous' to round it off. :p

15. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

But Dog is a blue Aussie cattle dog.

16. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Dog is the absolute best fighter in the game. This little beasty is an expert in melee, very fast, deals more damage than a Pyro axe, can be gotten at level 12 regardless of your own level and doesn't take a follower slot. Pity there is no Cloning spell or something, I wouldn't mind a party of 5 Dogs :lol:

17. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

You forgot his best feature! Since his weapons are his teeth and claws, you don't have to worry about icky-nasty-ucky rock monsters any more!

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

True, he does get hurt each time he hits a golem, but I mean, come on, the 4 damage isn't hurting him. I think he has what, like 200 + hp at lvl 50?

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

True, he does get hurt each time he hits a golem, but I mean, come on, the 4 damage isn't hurting him. I think he has what, like 200 + hp at lvl 50?

20. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

Um... I was saying he was good for rock monsters. So what are you argueing?

Our Host!