Problem with creating a character..too many decisions =)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by NeoSargatanas, Jul 3, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

This is my first topic on the site, and second post, but I'll just get to the point.

I can't stay with a character. There are various skills that I would like to use, but not enough character points. These are:

1. Prowl.
    2. Pick Locks & Pick Pockets.
    3. Persuasion.
    4. One or two of the first elemental spells-the ones that add 4 to a stat. With 10 CON I can keep them up indefinately.
    5. 1-2 points in both Melee and Dodge, as I have to fend for myself...can't persuade a wolf to back off, can you?

Along with these, I need Charisma, Dexterity, Perception, and possibly Strength to use them effectively. Can somebody suggest a solution?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

Oh, and I need Intelligence for the interesting conversation options...although Virgil's response to "Whut you say?" is pretty interesting in itself.

3. jazzkit

jazzkit New Member

There doesn't seem to be anyone else here so I'm gonna try to help even though I'm new as well.

If you want to be the quiet pickpocket type with some magical ability then I suggest you utilise your followers for strength (to carry things) and Melee/Dodge (to protect you). If you choose well, they should be able to protect, heal and assist you in most situations, plus lug around your junk.

You can boost your charisma, persuasion, intellect and even prowling skills with various amulets/rings/robes. Find the best ones so you don't have to spend so many points in those areas. Keep alternatives for different situations on hand.

And don't underestimate the effect of a god's blessing. There's one for almost everything.

Dunno if you already knew all that but I hope I helped a little. :razz:

4. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

what a response from that newbie! way to go, you know more thatn you lead on to know!

I just like big parties, to do my fighting so I use the protege background and get cha to 20 (starts at 14) and master persuation early on. I never get melee/dodge anymore because I don't fight! I just throw something at them and they come to my party!

Strength of earth....Agility of fire... a must have Vitality of air also. I use the stone throw if I'm not throwing molotavs at em. I use pickpockets/lockpicks every game but with dog you can do away with the lockpicks. Just have everyone else back off and have good ole dog attack the chest/door/whatever.

In another words just experiment and have fun, save often with diff names and you won't be coming back to the forum with I killed the wrong person and now I can't do this kind of thing!!

Parmanian told you all that!

5. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

I was considering the Charlatan's/Magick path...a hassle, but worth it. Thanks =)

6. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

the only problem with the magick path is constitution is low but with the 14 in cha right off the bat, you don't have any problem with getting followers!

Parmanian

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

You will have some 65 CPs to spend throughout the game. Even with this there are ALWAYS unexplored paths to follow.

Look at the Beat with an Ugly Stick background. The only thing it lowers is BE, & a mage can get 5 free BE points early in the game. If you want to be charming, use magic steal, & fight, look at 1/2 Orc Debutant. There are several backgrounds that raise CH, but watch out for those that lower CN & DX.

You can persuade a wolf to back off. Charm Beast. You get no EX points that way though.

8. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

But everything should be set up by level 30 or so, because the cps start slowing down then and the remaining cps are for tweaking.

I always look at it that I have 50 to spend and start from there.

Parmanian

9. jazzkit

jazzkit New Member

Could you please elaborate on that Shadygrove? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. The amulet of beauty?? Why only a mage?

10. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

its not the medallion of beauty its the jewel of hebe from the panari's chest and then there is a ring from the guy in grants tavern. a lady in stillwater gets you another point in beauty.

These items are magical and need MA to get full benefits from.

There's probably more items, but I have never played that background and haven't needed to boost BE.

Parmanian

11. Canis

Canis New Member

The Jewel of Hebe (+2 be, neutral, Panarii Temple in Tarant) and the Ring of Influence (+3 be based on MA, stupid munchkin in that bar in Tarant.... the one by the telegraph office).

It's also not too hard to go to Stillwater early for the idol quest and priestess blessing (+1 be).

EDIT: Curse you Parmanian, and your Fingers of Fleetness too! I spent too much energy looking things up for this post to delete it. The post stands! :D

12. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

You can also get that elemental spell which raises your beauty. I think it was the level 1 water spell though I am not sure.

13. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

i've stole that ring before and being techy it never worked so it wasn't worth the rep loss to me. He keeps it the whole game. But if I ever played that background, I'd definitely have to go magick! just for that ring.

Parmanian

14. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Have you tried downloading the Character Planner over at the main site? It could help you flesh out your character.

15. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The RoI will work at TA < 30, at least at the reduced level of BE & CH + 1, haggle & persuasion + 1/4. My low level techies often use it, then sadly put it away when their TA climbs.

16. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

but at this point in the game, my techies are using the charged rings and by the time I have a finger available, I'm way over that 30 TA. Of course my followers don't need to have any influence in the game.....right?

Parmanian

17. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

It could make Raven even sexier.

I think of combat jewelery & social jewelery. I don't need the second Charged Ring for conversation. & that + 1 CH & 1/4 persuasion gets me to Expert persuasion a bit quicker. Hardly needed with the Charlatin's Apprentice background. Real handy when Raised by Orcs.

18. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

usually I'm already over 30 TA at tarant and get expert persuation as soon as I get there at lvl 6, get the crystal ball blessing and the the jewel of hebe to get magnus at lvl 7 (CH 12). When I do the protege background, I'm level 18 when I get to tarant and the two blessings get me to 20 at lvl 7.

Parmanian

19. Icairus

Icairus New Member

My advice: create a bunch of characters, with different specialties, then play them to level 7 or so, and play the rest of the way with the one you like best.

20. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I don't think the 8 points is enough to judge your character, thats why I like to get to 15 and have my 8 followers.

Parmanian

Our Host!