Playing without the disc

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by AK_Marty, May 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AK_Marty

AK_Marty New Member

Cool! I just got my brand new Arcanum discs, but I can't play without the disc inserted in the drive. Is it possible to copy the disc to the hard drive so I can play without the disc in the drive? Also in what order do I install the patches to have the ultimate Arcanum experience?

2. Snozz

Snozz New Member

If I remember correctly, I installed in this order the official 1074 patch, the unofficial patch(with the extra content option checked), then high resolution patch, and then the high resolution town maps. When I installed the high resolution patch, I made sure I know the exact dimensions that I wanted(you should look at your display properties and right down the numbers if you want to play the game in the same resolution). I also chose the options for large text, because running at the high resolution would make the text hard to read otherwise.

I am able to play without the disc. I think one of the patches does this. Otherwise you could use some sort of "image burning" software to create a cd image, which is just a file on your harddrive that is a copy of the software. Then use some sort of virtual CD software to "mount" the image to a virtual drive. This will make it appear to your computer as if you have the actual CD in the drive, when really it's just a file on your computer.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You are walking down a road that I believe ends in a high-speed banning. I, however, must express my curiousity: Why?

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

No DF, he says he owns a copy, he's legit. There are many reasons to not want to mess around with disks (if you're traveling with a laptop or what-have-you).

At any rate, Snozz is correct, Drog Black Tooth's Unofficial patch does remove the CD check on a legitimately installed copy of Arcanum.

If this isn't for you, you could look into CD image creation and virtual drives (DaemonTools and the like), but Drog's patch is way easier and way awesomer.

5. AK_Marty

AK_Marty New Member

I just bought the game from Geeks Wholesale on Amazon and I would like to play without leaving the disc in the drive.
    edit: with the patches now installed I no longer need to have the disc in the drive, problem solved.

Thanks for the help.

6. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I know I didn't ask about it, but thanks anyway. I, too needed a way to play without the disc in the drive. I had a terrible accident once where my Max Payne disc just broke in the computer, apparantly because it spun too fast.

It was hell finding a new copy, and it would be an even bigger hell finding a new Arcanum game, I've only seen it once and that was when I bought it.

7. Snozz

Snozz New Member

It had its flaws, but overall Max Payne was an awesome game. I do not understand why we don't get that cinematic "i'm a super hero with super reaction time because time seems to slow for me" feature in more games. It also gave you an oportunity to really appreciate the subtle effects like debris getting shot up.

LOL, the movie is a good watch, but it is quite laughable in some places.

8. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I love that game, one of my favorites. The sequel was nice, too.

I think the only thing in the movie that made me think Max Payne was the scenery, like the snowstorm seen from the rooftops in the beginning. The rest didn't really have anything to do with it. It could've been a decent movie if they had just made it like a stand-alone thing and not name it Max Payne.

I don't understand why they'd buy the rights for something with a great story and then make the story all different and worse. The game has a better story than a lot of Hollywood movies today.

9. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Resident Evil is a prime example of such a film. But this thread is derailing a little bit. Better call it quits before the padlock arrives.

Our Host!