Planescape: Torment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frigo, Aug 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I've just finished Torment for the first time, and I must say it is quite a convoluted fine piece of awesomeness.

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I'm still dying to try this game out. I've just never gotten around to it...

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a remake of it on a modernized engine, but not a 3D one. Sprites please.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    3d isometric would work just fine. The beauty of Planescape was that characters weren't just variations of one or a few base models, but had their own unique sprite. That definitely added to the feel of the game.

5. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

What type of character did you play? I am currently playing it as a fighter while trying to keep Int up. The mage system on this one is a bit wierd for me.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I suppose I need to dig PS:T out again, and hack-job it into working.

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Mage with intelligence and wisdom pumped to 25 (though I maxed them out too early, and missed several bonus to these stats). I found playing as a fighter insanely difficult, and as a thief, completely pointless (especially with Annah's pickpocket on 110%).

----

Convoluted and intricate aren't even the appropiate words for this game. I mean, fuck, you can't even go a step without encountering some machination or influence of the Trascendent One, previous incarnations, or other major characters; be it one of the several important items scattered around the world, some of the followers, some places, or characters you've changed their lives

8. DarkFool

I played PS:T, but never beat it. I got as far as the Junker's lair before the game crashed. After several attempts, I surrendered, bought the book, and just read how it turned out. :p

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

The book for Planescape: Torment was released a little before the game IIRC and does have a different ending. In PS:T there are 3 different endings.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

By the way, if anyone wonders about how Fall-From-Grace earned her name; She is Grace herself, and her nature is her fall. This is the only way it makes sense, not the other way around

11. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

So what is the best way to play a mage, I stuck to fighter till level 7 then got the mage training, basically the last thing to do before going to the junk pile door. After becoming a mage I found it rather tiresome to rest after each battle because of my limited spells. Do you use the skull and the other guy from the bar(forgot name) to do the fighting and act as support, or do you get in on the killing. I couldn't find any decent spells to kill people.

12. magikot

Mage is fun but you'll want to get the level 7 and 12 mage bonus. Also be sure to immediately talk with Dakon (or however it's spelled) and read the Circle of Zerthimon. You can upgrade Dakon this way and get the super powerful Missile of Patience and other great spells. Until you boost missile of patience, cloudkill is probably your bread and butter spell.

13. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Actually I leveled to 7 as a mage, took fighter up to 6 then switched. Got all the circle stuff, but still find battles difficult. I noticed however that you can issue commands while paused, But didn't get the chance to try spell casting this way. Is it possible to do this, IE: combat starts, pause game, tell the skull to use the curses, have TNO cast a spell then unpause, let things happen and pause again to cast next spell.

14. magikot

Yes it is possible.

IIRC, You can keep a wish scroll in Dakon's inventory and cast it from there at the start of every battle. Meteor Bombardment every turn

15. DarkFool

I managed to get it running again! I'm running it with the Platter pack. Anyone else running a patch pack/etc. or just the vanilla game?

16. magikot

I can't find my discs so I haven't installed it on my new comp, but when I was playing it I played the vanilla game just patched with the official patch.

17. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

From what ive seen so far, this game is original and awesome.

Too bad my game crashes when i enter the catacombs (those at the beginning of the game), anyone know of a valid link for a patch?

18. magikot

19. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Oh thanks, is that the latest official patch? Anyway does an unofficial patch exist for this game as well?

20. DarkSlasherr

DarkSlasherr New Member

I'm thinking about getting this game, is it any good?

Our Host!