People believe anything...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvara, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Who here has actually studied any religion other than their own? I have studied (to some degree or another) several different religions, and several variants/interpretations of some of those. [I have my beliefs, but those shall not come into play here.]

How truly original can Christianity be if it originated from Judaism? And since Judaism originated with early Hebrew society, then the Jews and the Christians are from the same group. They just have different ways of looking at the same thing/idea/concept.

Prophets are simply someone that interperet a religion, or religious manuscript, in a new and different way. So that from one 'base' religion we get many new ones, or new interpretations. All prophets had to have been raised in one religion, with a certain type of beliefs, to be able to found a new one or interpret it differently.

Most of all does religion, religious beliefs, moral code/values, or any kind of beliefs (or nonbeliefs for that matter) really matter here in the HoL? BTW-aren't we are all here because we enjoy quality roleplaying games, talking to others that enjoy the same, discovering new things about the games, finding/trying new games, and sharing something in common with someone that you will probably never meet but respect for their knowledge!?!

This is the type of thread that should never go as far as this one has. Topics that are this sensitive to some or most should never come into play and be debated, argued, or defended; especially in a place of common ground. Perhaps this new HoL that is being revamped might need to have a code of ethics or some sort of honor system instilled to prevent thread like this.

There should never be any more bashing than the usually amount, that for the most part remains nonserious and does intend to wound. I for one do not wish to see another thread such as this one. The passion in this thread is evident by the number of replies that were posted in such a short amount of time. Let us focus this passion in a more positive direction.

2. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Well, religion was one of my majors in college. Mostly Indian, though I besmattered myself around.

On what you were saying, Mr. Junkie, I do agree, though I have difficulty not responding to what I perceive as a misapprehension. perhaps I should work harder on that.

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, I have tried to introduce myself to many religions and beliefs, but I haven't formally studied any.

I disagree. I think if we all have come here to talk like reasonable adults, we should be reasonable enough to be able to talk about anything. True, people shouldn't be intending to hurt each other, but I have always felt stooping to blatant insults is just a sign of a very weak argument. So I've never let people get me down when they stop debating and start name-calling. I'll agree immediately that no one should be trying to offend anyone else, but I don't think you can say we are adults here and able to talk about politics and whatnot, but not able to talk about religion. No one makes people post, and if a topic makes them angry, then they shouldn't post, or at least calm down before they do, but don't think censorship is the way to go. I'm sorry if I insulted or offended anyone here. My beliefs are my own, and I posted them.

4. Icairus

Icairus New Member

The really funny thing is that people are much more offended by the fact that the arguments were going on than they were by the arguments themselves. Now, where were we in this silly screaming match?
    Oh, yeah.
    I was being called a heretic, and those of you on the other side were being called asshole narrow-minded relgious bigots. Let us see if we can get this going again.
    This whole pansy "I agree with your agreement of his agreement to arguments being bad" thing has got to stop.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Dammit Icarus, you're a heathen to Lord! Restart this topic! You little bastard, how could you! When the almighty Father reigns down his justice, the wicked shall be the first to feel his long, hard, throbbing staff of mightiness, which he will plunge into your vile hearts, faster and harder, and faster and harder, etc, etc, until you are released from the cluches of darkness into the light. ;)

6. Wolf

Wolf New Member

7. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Mr. Wolf said:
    :D :lol: 0:) :puke: :D :evil: :peace: :shootme: :lol: :sick: :thumbup:

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

what the fuck does that mean. please be coherent. are you baggin me? or agreein? or ar you just looking for an excuse to post an excessive amount of smileys

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

i totally agree

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Hah, I knew someone would choose the avatar before Dark Elf did. And why doesn't it strike me odd that it was none other than you?

Of the 400+ avatars that I have uploaded you had to take this one. And that's despite the fact that Dark Elf mentioned it.

12. Xz

im the one who should be asking that...

oh, and how could i know he mentioned it, i chose the onei liked the most.

13. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, whoever takes it first has the right. At the same time it is your choice to willingly enter a dispute with another forum member. In other words, you're being an asshole.

14. Xz

well i'm sorry that i had no idea wich avatar he was talking about, i just piced the one i liked better,

so now im gonna go cry until i die of having my body dried out*

*means i will change my avatar

15. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I just couldn't let this one slip by. Who taught you to debate? A third-grader? What the hell kind of an statement is "religion sucks?" You can't just say something like that without backing it up. I could say, "Mr. Wolf sucks," but I'd have to back it up, right? Here goes:

1. You have absolutely no grasp of debating skills
    2. You haven't progressed far enough in first grade to learn that you capitalize letters at the beginning of sentances.
    3. The above problem isn't even the beginning of your writing deficiances. See below:
    4. The above statement could have just as easily been applied to your original post, minus the comment about the smilies.

There you go. Now let's see your list of reasons why "religion sucks."

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, I don't know, I find religion sucks to be rather concise actually. It's not like you're guessing about where the statement is going to lead you.

You say he has no debating skills and you've gotten after people for using insults as a tool in debates. I'm just wondering why you're allowed to use them and no one else is. You're post contains numerous insults, calling him a first grader and said he has writing deficiances. Now, I'm assuming deficiances is an insult; it's obviously a word you just made up so you're the only one who knows the meaning. Deficiencies is a word, but you, as someone who, from your post is an amazing writer must know that.

Your being very hypocritical right now, accusing people of having no tools other than insults and of having no real debating skills, but then contradicting yourself so totally in your last post. You're being, at the very least, extremely pugilistic, which seems odd because most halfway decent debaters that I know aren't.

Oh, you forgot a period on point 1, just wondering if we should chalk it up to you not knowing how to make a sentence correctly, or just a mistake.

17. Wolf

Wolf New Member

well, for one it has caused almost all wars in our modern world and it is often used as an excuse to commit horrible acts. also, this is what i believe but im not going to say anything else. i belive religion was made up by people who couldnt accept that one day theyll day and be forever forgotten and lose all consciousness. i would continue but thats enough for now. i reserve the right to type as i please as long as it is coherent. this is not some fucking grammar show its a message board. did you ever stop to think maybe i wasnt debating but stating my point of view? im extremely tempted to tell you how dumb you are and that you are a fuckwit but i wont. o no!!! i didnt put an apotrophe argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-o

BTW any dumbass can understand "religion sucks"
    two words einstein

18. Xz

i still agree, but not totally, i don't agree that Sigurd is dumb.

19. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

So I guess I was a bit too caustic. It just irritates me when people make atrociously general statements like that, and don't explain them at all. I thought I made that clear. Even if you weren't trying to debate, you could have at least given a few reasons. Just stating that something "sucks" is neither informative nor helpful, and therefore pointless. All I ask is that you at least try to show people why you believe that it sucks. Without being too verbose, you could have said:
    "Religion sucks. It's the cause of all the world's problems, and has started most of the major wars in history. It's also a crutch for weak-minded fools like you."
    That would have been perfectly acceptable.
    Yeah, you have the right to type however you want, but wouldn't it be nice if you made yourself look more intelligent by using proper syntax and sentance structure? It's not really that hard to do.

Okay, so you are right. That sounded a little hypocritical on my part. But I was saying that insults to someone's character that have no relevance to the topic (e.g. "You are a moron") are useless and inneffective. My insults were unneccesary, I could have just as easily made my point without calling him a "first-grader," but at least they were relevant to my point, which was that he has terrible writing skills. Or at least he fails to use the skills at his disposal.

What are you even talking about? Do you not know the definition of deficiances? If not, use the dictionary. If you are trying to say something else, please restate it more clearly. I didn't say that I'm an amazing writer. That's for you to decide.

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

well...sorry...kinda

and besides why waste time pretending to be intelligent? :lol:

Our Host!