People believe anything...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvara, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Silvara

Silvara New Member

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I swear, some people really need to let go of the mysticism surrounding the all of the parts of their religion inspired by the tribal myths and superstitions, and values popular around the time of their religions birth. Fasting is fine, but Jews sure are missing out on some good stuff when it comes to pig products, and non-kosher foods, the same goes for "the nation of Islam." Not that there is anything wrong with those religions, there is plenty of shit wrong with christianity, hinduism, and buddhism as well, but as far as i can tell we'd all be better off without secular christianity ororthodox/millitant/whatever islam. Other than that, all I have to say is,

what

the

fuck

?

3. Quethim

Quethim New Member

All religion has seemed to do was cause problems. I mean, I'm one who believes in God and I believe in some things that Jesus had done, but honestly, I'm getting tired of how far religion is going.

Where is God and Jesus when all of this is happening, why are people so concerned about this belief and stuff like that? Is there no way to talk sense to anyone?

4. gargob

gargob New Member

I 'm a Roman Catholic and even though religon helps me with my problems it causes anxiety attacks for me people believe I need to see a psychiatrist. The weird thing is when I cope with it myself all I have to do is look at the thought from a different perspective. This one thought can ease my mind or make me feel like I'm crazy.

But looking at things in a different perspective can change your my religous problems.
    Example
    I believe most people aren't trying to believe in God. Maybe they don't want to listen to him. I may be crazy but when I have a problem I talk to myself for a long time. Which helps me solve my problem after reflecting. It seems there is this voice in my head who I can have conversations without worrying about what to say.

About the divine punishment that woman was basically rude but that's it I mean I could say people who think that pork is good are evil(I don't). Just because there are different beliefs that doen't mean yours correct and others are fake. I think only when your beliefs causes harm to people should you worry.

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

i heard of people, afraid to go to the bathroom, because they heard god can always see them......

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Hehe, I have a competitor! I told you the BBC was a great place to find all sort of funny stuff :D

7. Quethim

Quethim New Member

What do they do, wear a diaper all day, everyday?

That's just pathetic...even if God could see you going to the bathroom, I'm sure he can see you take a shit in your pants (or diaper)

He has x-ray vision, ya know? :p

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

God, all these religious nuts drive me crazy. Humans shouldn't have a religion, but we humans have an uncanny knack for fucking up a somewhat decent thing. What was it like at first, with the cave people?

Oh, the trees are cool let's worship them. Hey you worship the rocks. Alright rocks are decent, I can get where you're coming from. Hey that guy stole my food, let's go beat him.

Now it's:

Hey, you worship rocks! How dare you, everyone knows trees are the true rulers of Earth! We will slaughter you and all of you're rock loving bastard friends, and then melt every rock we find in an insult to your religion!

Now, I don't proclaim to be some great judge of society, but I think that the first one has a few more redeeming qualities than the latter one.

9. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Why I like being Jewish. No theological problems such as infant damnation. Our god is not both all merciful & omnipresent. He did have something that kept him elsewhere for our 400 years of servitude in Egypt, after all. While he can watch you shit, he has other things to do. And, if you are not orthodox pork, clams, shrimp, & even vultures can be on the menu.

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

The real benefit is that Judaism doesn't demand you to "spread faith". You are your own responcibility, and that's it. No missionaries knocking on doors.
    Oh and bon appetite eating those vultures :lol:

11. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

The problem is people tend to think either God isn't all good or isn't all powerful.
    God isn't the one making this stuff happening. Why isn't he stopping it, you ask? Well, He always has a reason for whatever he makes happen or what he lets happen. Yes, I am a Christian. (Southern Baptist)

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

HOly shit, a southern baptist...

well i guess i should have guessed from your anti-african american signature.

dont you love the taste of aborted babies? sure do. :lol:

sorry, take this post as a half joke please. i dont mean to seem to overly antagonistic, and i know i just made a couple offensive assumptions.

13. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

If you actually read my signature it says: NOT racial hatred. I can't believe anyone would take the time type "African American". Stupid political correctness...

14. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Rock on, man! People like us need to stick together. I'm also a Christian, Protestant non-demoninational. Oh, and does anyone else think it's weird that Protestantism and Catholicism are supposedly the same religion? If you know anything about them, you'd know that they are as different from each other as Judaeism is from Islam! I hate it when people say, "Oh, the Christians killed people in the Crusades, the Christians killed people in the Inquistion," etc, etc. It was the CATHOLICS, damnit! No offense to any Catholics out there, just clarifying that there is a difference between you and I and I don't like to be lumped together with a different religion.
    And before anyone catches me on this, yes, people claiming to be Protestants (Puritans) killed "innocent" people in the Salem Witch trials and other incidents I can't recall on the spot. But there are extremist (and wrong) factions of any faith, and the Puritans happen to be one of those.

Wow, almost missed this one:
    I'm going to make some assumptions myself.
    A: You are black. I'm not going to use "African-American" because it is as clumsy as it is nonsensical.
    B: You are rascist against white people and still hate us for something only some of our ancestors did that none of us today can change. I'm not still pissed at Anglos for the way they treated my grandparents. They had to change their last name to a French spelling (Roselle) to avoid discrimination.

What does the eating aborted babies bullshit mean? Are you trying to piss Matah off because he's pro-life? If so, get back to me and I'll give you hell.[/i]

15. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

We seem to agree on everythng, huh? Yeah, Catholicism is alot different than Protestant. Where I come from Catholicism is seemingly half-pagen half-Christian. It's probly like that where your at but anyway, rock on, my Northern friend.

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Yeah, Catholicism is that way everywhere. I love how they took poltheism in the Roman Empire and made it into the cult of the saints so it would be "orthodox." How about in Ireland, where Saint Bridget is the Catholic version Queen Bridget, an ancient pagan Irish hero.
    I added to my last message a defence against Sleek_Jeek on his foolish assumptions about you being a rascist redneck.

17. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, it seems almost everybody where I live is a Catholic. It makes me sad sometimes. The main thing I dislike about Catholicism is they're worshiping of Mary. Thanks.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

If i'm not mistaken at least 99.9% of christians were catholics back in those days... therefore it was the christians. this point is moot, considering it is "CHRISTIANS" in general that are keeping teenagers from birth control, trying to kick homosexuals out of disneyland, and making damn well sure that that fetus with no lungs and no stomach rips out its mother's cervex on its way out during its natural birth and death.

I've got no major arguments with christian philosophy (other than eating restrictions and perhaps some interpretations of how one should handle homosexuality) but i do have lots of problems with accepted christian politics in america, and around the world. Why not concentrate on that instead of pointing fingers about who's religious sect killed how many jews. I believe a nation of atheists killed about 6 million jews during world war 2.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You two are honestly that stupid aren't you?

Protestant and Catholic are actually very similar. Every single belief is essentially the same, it's just the way we practice our beliefs that differ. Catholics tend to focus more on the curch as the epicenter of spirituality, ie. all religion comes back to the church, you need it to pray and to make every other decision in your life, while Protestants believe more in individualism. We don't need jack shit to pray, the church is only useful as a meeting place so people of the same religion can get meet in one place and pray together. There are a bunch of little things that are different too, the cross thing with your hands, importance of communion, confessions, all that bull, but almost every belief is shared between the two.

Also, the Orthodox Church that was formed out of those evil pagan Romans is the Orthodox Church, not the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church was formed in 1054, with the schism. So they are direct descendants of pagans, their "grandparent" religion was pagan, and as you've said Sigurd, you can't be made how what happened to our grandparents, so why hold grudges on theirs?

I don't know if Sleek is black or not, I don't think he is. I do know he was joking so you should chill out. I also know MatahChuah, despite his southern-ness, is fairly competant, enough so that you don't need to attack Sleek as a 'defence'.

MatahChuah, God isn't all powerful. I know he isn't. I smoked a bowl with the big man not even two hours ago. He didn't want the Twin Towers to fall down, and he didn't want Columbia to crash. It's all those crazy fanatical mother-fuckers. From the KKK to Al-Queda, they're all the same. They take a somewhat decent thing like religion, and they fuck it up. And God can't do shit about it because he's too busy listening to everyone bitch and moan about little shit. Which is why, like a good little christian, I'm going to go up to heaven, and help God with some paperwork. And if I see one of your pets or something on their way there I'll put in a good word for em, k?

20. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

No, I'm not even going to argue about that because I already have.
    1.Have you ever been in the South? Obviously not. 2. If Sigurd wants to post at my defence, thats his choice, not yours.

Yes he is. He didn't fly the plane into the Twin Towers, did he? Like I said, God has a reason for everything that happens. It's not for me to know God's will.

Our Host!