PC problems!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RPjunkie, Oct 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Maybe this should have been in hints and tips, yet I like this group better(even with all the remarks). Anywho...

If I am running WinXP is there a way to get it to run like 98 or 95? Is there a run as option? If so how do I accomplish that task?

btw - some fuckinbg game I bought for my wife to play(Oregon Trail 3) is not made to run on anything other than Win95/98. I guess you need OT5 to play on XP :cry:

2. Icairus

Icairus New Member

What do you mean by that?
    There is a compatability mode:
    If you right click on an .exe or a shortcut and click on properties there is a tab labeled Compatability.
    You can then click on the the Run in Compatibility mode for:

3. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

NO, that is not what I mean.

For some friggin reason, I cannot even get the stupid game to install. I have tried all possibilities that I can think of. I have changed my startup programs, which has worked in the past to install games.

What I need to know is if there is a way to get my PC to run as 95 or 98 to be able to install/run the damn game. If there is no possible way, then I guess my thoughtful gesture towards my wife will land me in the doghouse(she loves that friggin game) :-(

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Weird. I have XP, and Arcanum works just fine for me.

You say it won't install - do you mean that the Installer isn't brought up automatically? Sometimes this won't work with all games. Have you tried opening the cd-folder? There should be an icon labelled "run" or "install" or something like that - have you tried clicking on that? This might very well be the solluton for your problem.

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

1st, there is only one l, and there is an i in the word "solution"
    2nd, you are screwed over. If you really want it, you could put in another hard drive, or repartion your old one to have it able to bood 95/98.
    However, unless you are willing to do something like that, see "You are screwed"

6. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

then I guess that my attempt to do something nice for my wife once again fails.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Does XP have a selective startup procedure? Could Partition Magic get you a 98 section on your disk? Is the CD perhaps damaged?

8. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Shadygrove: Due to the fact that your first two questions are global, they are both yes.

9. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

1.It's funny to see you point out a misspelling then missspell a simpler word.
    2.RPJunkie, if Oregon Trail is so important to your wife, why not take it back to the store you bought it from, and exchange it for Oregon Trail 5? If you already owned it/got it at a garage sale, then just go out and spend the $10 it costs to purchase Oregon Trail 5.

10. Herald

Herald New Member

I never heard of Oregon tail or whatever, but i do know the ONLY option to run a win95/98 programm is uhm, dividing your hdd into smaller parts (ok, those arent the correct words, plz excuse me for my lousy english). Get yourself a second hdd (really cheap if you buy like a 10 gigabyte) or if you have a larger one ( like me), use Partition Magic and install win98 on a 10 gyg part (like me :) ). Of course, i think everyone needs at least 1x win98 and 2x times XP partity(spelling?), for work and leisure(spelling again? *sigh*), but that's off-topic.

PS: since i'm currently studying english i SHOULD now these words and their spelling. I guess i'm not as good in english as i thought * Herald feels depressed*

11. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

thanks for all the help, I'll let ya'll know how they turn out if anything.

silverking said:
    I am having a hard time finding the friggin game, let alone for $10! :/

12. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Our Host!