Overwhelming Negativity

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by BAS11, Mar 6, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. BAS11

BAS11 New Member

In 1.25 times through the game I have been amazed at the pure number of cursed items with negative modifiers.

I honestly think at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the magic items I've found have been cursed.

How much of this is randomized? I know at least some items are always found in the same place...

I also am yet to find an arcane item. At least, I know I didnt find an arcane staff b/cs my mage finished the game with a dinky little +10 FP dagger. Is there only 1 location to find arcane staff or is this a random item?

I'm not ready to check the walkthrough for item locations but was just curious, I guess, if other people have encountered the high % of "bad" magical items.

I guess I could always go fire up my copy of Diablo II if I want to find lots of "good" magic stuff.... *sigh*

2. gamenut

gamenut New Member

I think the arcane items aren't random, but I think their size is random for the armors.

3. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

The gypsies stock Arcane items on a fairly regular but random basis.

I suspect maybe the cursed items are around in such quantities to discourage players from equipping magic items as soon as they find them.

What I really find odd is that NPC's pay a pretty good price for cursed items.

4. gamenut

gamenut New Member

Sometimes. I once sold a hexed dagger to a man and he paid me about 200 gold. He identifiyed it and it was only worth about 50 gold. The robe of hypocricy was worth about 1500 gold for one shopkeeper to sell it to me.

5. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

If you look carefully, most cursed items also have a good effect to go along with the bad. Like the "Axe of Lost Time"(?) I believe it is called. It slows the user but does a HUGE amount of damage.

6. pdsullivan

pdsullivan New Member

Okay, some of you may refute this but I have found it to be true. The "random" placement of items in arcane/magic chests whatever isn't as random as it seems. What I've found to be the case is this. What you get from each chest is determined at the start of the game based on what background, gender, and race you have picked. Try it. You know that magic chest at the crash site. Try starting a human female only child, go to the chest, see what's in it-quit. Start a male half-elf barbarian, see what's in the chest-different right? Quit and start a new human female only child and see if what is in the magic chest for the second human female only child is not exactly the same as what it was for the first one. Try it for every race, gender, background you want but the results are the same. If it works out different for you let me know, but I've found it to be true...

Our Host!