Other arcanum mods?

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Sankis, Nov 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sankis

Sankis New Member

Hello.

I just started playing arcanum again and I'm wondering if there are any arcanum mods besides hard arcanum that modify the original arcanum storyline to add quests, items or locations that still keep true to the arcanum storyline?

The reason I asked if there were any besides hard arcanum is the fact I don't like how it makes such radical changes, but if its the only mod i guess i'll have no choice..

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

actually, ytou might try the CBmod installer, its the one Chris made before Hard Arcaum, and it doesn't have all the radical changes wich is in hard arcanum, now im sorry, but i have no clue as to where you might find it....

3. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I'm currently working on one, but I have to finish a program first so that I can do some other things because I want to add female halflings and gnomes to the game. I'm also considering some other changes along those lines, so I'm open to suggestions. Do people think that I should include full ogres as a playable race? I don't plan to include female dwarves because the storyline excludes them, but that's the only reason they won't be there. I have considered including female half ogres, but haven't decided about them yet, so I'm also open to suggestions on that one.

I thought about adding a quest to actually find the half-ogre breeding area, so I'd appreciate feedback on that idea, as well.

I've already modified the island of Cattan and it will have a halfling settlement on it that can be reached by ship. There will also be ships at Dernholm and Roseborough. I've already added a true ship's cabin and separate ship's hold to the ship and the added the ships at Cattan, Dernholm and Roseborough. I'll have several other goodies to add, too, but I don't want to give it all away in here.
    All of these things are sort of secondary to the main story, but shouldn't interfere with it.

I've fixed the Caladon Guardhouse Basement so that you can get to all of the barrels. There were some sacks that were placed too close to one of the barrels and they blocked access to it completely. I'm trying to fix anything like that which seems like an unintentional error. I've left the sword in the Ancient Maze and the pile of gold at Kerlin's Altar alone because I thought those were done that way on purpose.

There are some of the basic things that Chris has done in his mods, such as the encumbrance thing that I don't care for at all. That is his mod though, so he should do what he wants to do with it. I don't plan to have that type of thing in mine. I will try to have some elements to make it more challenging than standard Arcanum, but without crippling your characters and, hopefully, without making it impossible for most of the standard mods that people like to add on to work - especially since I'm running a lot of those mods myself. I still have a lot to learn about modding, so it will be a while before I get this finished, but I hope it will revive interest in the game for those that have grown bored with it.

4. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

5. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Oh and by the way i cannot wait to play your mod.

Chris.

6. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Yes, your mod does sound good. I was going to do my own, but I decided not to because of how complex WorldEd is. DO you have any idea when it will be released?

7. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

It will probably be sometime in the summer before I get it done, at the very earliest. :/ I am working on a lot of the modding portions while I wait for the opportunity to build a new programming computer, so I'm not wasting any time. :p It will be sometime this spring before I can build the new computer, so that will be when I can do the programming I need done to do a lot of the work I will need for the new races and additions to the game that are not in it now.

Currently, I'm adding some Trading Posts, similar to the ones that Chris has in Hard Arcanum, but my own design and with my own trader attitudes and inventories. I'm also adding the Half-Ogre Breeding Complex, so you will finally be able to actually complete that quest all the way to the end, if you have ever wanted to do so. There may be some surprises and twists in the original plot in store, so don't take anything for granted that you have done in the past with respect to that quest.

I'm also going through and - since I have this thing about NPCs who appear to have clothes on, but when they die turn out to be naked - I'm taking a look at a lot of the NPCs that I generally kill at some point and making sure that they have some kind of clothing and/or the weapons that they usually appear to have when I've killed them. This is a trivial thing, but it irritates me to kill someone and search the body to find nothing. Especially when the person is someone obnoxious or annoying who deserves to be killed :shootme: and puts up a good fight with definite weapons that should be there. :minigun:

I'm following Chris's lead in some respects, but I'm trying to be original in how I implement things. I like the idea of having a thieve's guild in any town which will support one, so I'm probably going to add one to every town in Arcanum, along with at least 10 jobs in each town. In any large town, it seems reasonable that there should be a sewer system, so I'll be adding sewers to larger cities that don't have them, but not little places like Shrouded Hills. Castles ought to have at least two levels, so I'll probably add something to the castle at Dernholm to make it more interesting and I won't necessarily make it all obvious. ;)

I'm going to try to fix a few things that don't work for me currently while I'm messing with things :broken:- like being able to kill Heinrick Jenks at City Hall without crashing the game. No promises on these, but if I succeed, I'll let you all know about any "fixes" included in the mod. I may even make those available separately, IF I succeed and IF it looks feasible. :smash:

Don't be surprised if some of the NPCs who currently just disappear stop doing that in my mod and are used for something else after their original purpose is complete. 0:)

Oh, BTW, Chris, I discussed what I planned to do with the sprites in an email with Tim Cain and he didn't indicate any problems with it to me, so I took that as an indicator that it will probably work as long as I get all the scripts done properly. It will be interesting to see what happens and whether I'm right or wrong about it. I'll probably add the halfling females as the simplest to add to do a test and see what happens once they are added. If the World Editor recognizes them, that will be a step in the right direction, but I'll have to try them out to see if they work or not. :thumbup:

I'll be adding several new quests to try to "liven up" any town that I feel has been neglected, too, so there may be new NPCs and even new places in some towns. I'm also planning to add a few new towns and villages that may come as a surprise or even a shock for some. heh heh heh 8)

I'll keep dropping updates as I go, so stay tuned. :)

Our Host!