Oscars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mael, Feb 27, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Leon was it's (original) European name. The Professional was the name it was released under in the USA (imagine your own theories for why). I believe it is now becoming known as "Leon: The Professional" generally. It's one of my favourites, too.

I wondered whether Kiss of the Dragon had been nominated, but I don't suppose it should win any. Out of the films I saw last year, it was definitely one of the most entertaining, but I don't think the Oscars have much to do with entertainment. Plus, KotD did borrow heavily from Leon.

The Jet Li film you're thinking of, Milo, is probably Twin Warriors. I watched it a while back. The Kung Fu was good, but I can never stay interested in the plots - they seem too drawn out. Like that Crouching Foo Fighter hidded Wagon one. I liked it, but the plot didn't hold my interest as much as I'd have hoped from all the hype.

I hope Spy Games at least gets a nomination, at least. Now, that had a plot that kept me paying attention.

2. Ioo

Ioo New Member

You see, the deal with The Proffesional is: It's Jean-Paul Belmondo movie, shot in France, in French... Maybe they didn't wanna have the same name?.. Even though it was shot in NYC, Jean Reno and Luc Besson are French...right?

3. Milo

Milo New Member

That's the one I was thinking of, Fatman. Twin Warriors. That's the one where Jet Li and his friend (brother?) got kicked out of the Shaolin monastary, and Jet Li became a good guy and his bro became the bad guy, right? I liked this one. Another good one is Fist of Legend.

Don't you dare mock this movie. It plays like an old Wushu novel; In fact it's based one. The cinematography (the films strongest point, IMO) was absolutely beautiful. The special effects where great, despite being fantastical. The fight scenes where nicely choreographed, and meshed very well with the soundtrack. And of course, Zhang Ziyi = boner, even when she's dressed as a young Chinese boy. No comment on what that last statement says about me.

Still, I think that "Amores Perros" should've won Best Foreign Film that year.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Heh.... That looks a lot like my progression.. Although I did have a PnP AD&D set before Fallout.... Never played it though... Never found anyone to play it with.

Damn I LOVE that movie!! (Err... It is the one with that girl form Star Wars and the whole, she does assassin thing right? With the bent cops and grenade explosion at the end? Heh.. I found an original script for a different ending on the net somewhere...)

Why do all my 'froms' end up being 'forms'... I seem to hit the 'o' before the 'r'...

Oh, and Oscars? I'm still tipping Nicole Kidman for something :grin:

5. Milo

Milo New Member

Yeah that's the one. Her name is Matilda Amidalah. Since you brought it up, what was the different ending? Did Leon live? Did the plant die?

And since we're talking about the movie, is there any difference (story wise) between "Leon" and "The Professional"? Is The Professional a remake or what?

6. Sheriff Fatman

I agree with all that, and those things made the film quite watchable for me, but it was a long film. Long films need a plot that keeps you interested. I just found the whole tortured romance aspect had lost its impact for me about half-way through and nothing took its place. I did have a brief resurgence of interest towards the end, when they had their Monkey-style show down with the bad guys.

Twin Warriors suffered from the same thing, I reckon. Maybe I have been spoiled by Hollywood (let's face it, we all have in one way or another), or maybe there are Chinese cutural elements at work that I am missing, but the plot was too one-track. The guys get booted out of the Monestary (at which point I'm still rivetted), then the rest of the movie is an extended fight between the two of them. Every scene is "just another clash between the twin warriors," with a few exceptions where the inevitable romance is developed in a standard "boy meets girl, boy likes girl's Kung Fu style" kind of way.

BTW, they weren't brothers. They met at the monestary, where the "evil" one quickly demonstrates his weak nature by making the "good one" do his chores for him.

I'm not syaing I didn't like these films, but I possibly need to understand them better to fully appreciate them.

Well, it probably says more about you that what you really wanted to say was "... especially when she's dressed as a young Chinese boy ..."

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Kung Fu movies are pretty cool, but we don't get many over here...you really have to know what you're looking for to find them at video stores...

8. DarkUnderlord

It was much darker, firstly, she slept (as in sex) with Leon and actually killed a guy (using the sniper rifle, shooting a guy sitting on a park bench)

But.... The script wasn't approved by Natalie's parents so it was dropped and altered a bit. I think in the end... She died with Leon? She was the one with the grenades, Leon runs down the stairs, get's shot by the guy waiting for him, and she comes out with the explosives. If you want, you can download it OR read that version online at this site here.

More info here if you're interested

I looked for that script because I love the movie and had (still do) ambitions of writing a movie...

Not sure.... My feeling was that in France, it was dubbed over and called 'Leon'.

Try SBS late-night Saturday Jarinor.... It's not only for nudity you know :wink:

--------------------------------
    Moo... Moo... I'm a Troika cow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkUnderlord on 2002-03-04 20:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkUnderlord on 2002-03-04 20:43 ]</font>

9. DarkUnderlord

It's amazing how just a few simple words can convey an entire situation... It's a good script. Read it if you're bored at work!!

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, since I have no idea what's going on in most of this thread, which movie should I see?

11. Milo

Milo New Member

After reading DarkUnderlord's post, I'd say get "Leon" if you can find it. Thanks for the link, btw. Interesting reading, DU.

Other than Matilda actually having sex with Leon (WTF?!), the European release sounds better than the US one. I wonder why they changed it?

12. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

13. Milo

Milo New Member

Too Mexican? What's "too Mexican" about a Mexican movie filmed in Mexico about Mexicans in Mexico?

I liked it, personally. I thought the 1st and the 3rd stories where the best. The second one could've been cut way down.

14. DarkUnderlord

Well, how about a Mexican movie filmed BY Mexicans, WITH Mexican equipment AND Mexican actors in Mexico about Mexicans in Mexico while they do Mexican things to other Mexicans?

I reckon that'd be "too Mexican"...

15. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

No, that would be like the early Squint Eastwood flicks (although they were shot in Spain).

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I mean it'd be shocking if a Mexican film was made with all Mexican equipment and staff...What about the obligitary big-name American in the lead role with a bad accent and an even worse tan, pretending to be someone at the opposite end of the racial spectrum?

17. Milo

Milo New Member

Weren't those done in Italy? I thought that was why they were called "Spaghetti Westerns".

I think Amores Perros was made with all Mexican equipment and staff. It was totally produced in Mexico. For Mexicans By Mexicans. I think it was done for only a few million dollars, too.

Another good all mexican film is El Mariachi. They went all Hollywood with the sequal and tossed Antonio Banderas into the starring role. My buddy who actually is Mexican had a good laugh at Antonio Banderas Spanish accent.

18. Sheriff Fatman

I think the Spagetti Westerns were so-called because the were made by Italians, rather than in Italy or with the use of any Itlaian food.

19. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

The Lord of the Rings is the best book in the world. My oppinion, and my oppinion is allways the truth. The movie was not that good though.

20. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Hah I knew that would get a response. By "too Mexican" I mean you take felini and remove what cohearent plot elements there are and viola you have a mexican movie. Think Santo Sangre. Also El Mariachi was not mexican it was made by robert rodreguez. it was filmed in mexico.

Our Host!