Only 10 levels?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Srekel, Jun 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Srekel

Srekel New Member

I just read most of the Ãœber-FAQ, and I saw there was a level cap at 10...

Are these 10 times the only times you get to "upgrade" your character?

Hmm, I just realized that with a party of 5 characters you'll get to upgrade them 50 times...

The reason I'm asking is that one of the things I love in RPGs is when it tells me "you've leveled up!"... If this happens too seldomly in the game... :(

Not THAT important of course, but it's one of the things that keep me playing an RPG: "I can't wait to reach the next level so I can get better at this and that..."

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Tim has made the decision that each character will only be able to advance to level 10 - under 3.5 edition rules, they become too powerful afterwards.

However, crafting items using D&D's crafting system does take experience points, so I can see abuses of the system, but I'm sure there are rules and conditions governing it...

So actually, you'll only be seeing that level up indicator nine times for each character (maximum).

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

The excess XP can be used to create magical items.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

But for half the DnD classes you don't actually get any decent feats/spells until after level 10! :eek:

So can we expect classes like Rangers to just be hack n slash now, rather than spell-wielding too? :cry:

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Are you talking about 3.5 edition rules Ferret? I believe in ToEE you'll be able to get level 5 spells, so that's not too bad. Even though it was made by another company, using a different edition, I still managed to beat a D&D game (Icewind Dale) using a level 1 spell, so they're not all totally useless :).

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Err... actually, I have no idea what edition rules I'm talking about. :)

Whatever NWN is, since that's the only D&D experience I've had (other than PoR:RoMD, which sucked) and I've been told it's not entirely accurate anyway, although I don't know in which respects because I haven't played anything else.

7. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

The BG1 was cap at level 7 (8 with expansion) and the only problem I have with this game is that resolution looked crappy on monitor bigger than 15�.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    What concerns me is that with only 10 levels to go, we won't get much out of the Prestige classes. Most have prerequisites that can't be met before lv 6-8 or so...

And if I recall correctly, Ferret, rangers and paladins gain access to divine magick at lv 4 (that is, if you meet the Wisdom prerequisite). :)

Don't expect to see too fancy stuff though... with the level cap, I believe you'll never get anything mightier than lv 2 spells. But that's still better than nothing.

9. Resident Master Vampire

Resident Master Vampire New Member

Doesn't matter because hackers will find a way to increase the limit. Either that or... expansion pack! :-o :eek:

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, definately. If an expansion pack is ever made, not raising the level cap will result in a major breakdown on the official forums. Just take a look at NWN. Everyone's whining for epic levels... incredible. :roll:

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, guess I've got to correct that... there won't be any Prestige classes, which means no worries for not getting anything out of them... of course, now they've got something to add for the expansion :)

I'm going to miss them though... Arcane Archers are just mean. Those guys can basically turn regular arrows into something with even more destructive power than your average nuclear warhead... there's nothing like an arrow enchanted with a fireball :evil:

Ah, the smell of toasted goblin in the morning....

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

guys guys guys. they put the level cap at ten so you'd pay for the expansion when it allows you to advance to level 15 and the sequel that will allow you to advance to level 20, and then the sequels expansion that will allow you to max out at level 40. havent you guys learned anything?

and is anyone else pissed off at the mother fuckers who decided to publish the 3.5 edition rules?? those mother fuckers! i do and spend 90 dollars (the amount a palestinian construction worker will make after 18 days of backbreaking labor, (and an indian nike sweatshop child more than a year)) on the motherfucking 3rd edition rule books only to have those ass holes update them 5 months later.

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

They capped it because that is what was reasonable for the true rules they are going off of. It is not because of some stupid expansion conspiracy.
    Most expansions are for games that have online features, because that is how they pay for continued support for the online features.
    Otherwise, they make games using the same engine, or sequels, not expansions.

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

what?
    there are plenty of non-multiplayer expansions out there. ie. warcraft 3 frozen throne, two different Morrowind expansions just came out (three?), the baldur's gate series lasted 2 games and 2 expansions, there are simply more multiplayer expansions because of the mod community, its not that there ARENT a decent amount of single player expansions, its just they they are surpassed by the derth of multiplayer fandom.

that said, we'll see if ToEE2 has a higher level cap. (if there is one)

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    The level cap in ToEE was set to 10 because that would make the most sense regarding the module in question... a character with 10+ levels would simply be too damn powerful.

I actually like the idea of not being able to achieve too much power, since it makes the game more challenging, and thereby more interesting - you've got to make more decisions regarding what spells/feats/skills you really need, rather than getting all of it... it's actually pretty nice to control characters that still are at human level, instead of wandering gods.

I mean, take a look at books, films etc. The most interesting characters tend to be those that have clearly defined weaknesses and shortcomings, and are not best at every little thing they do.

So, while Goku in DBZ may be the most powerful goody two-shoes in existance, with virtually no weaknesses, he'll never reach up to the same coolness factor that Vegeta has, since Vegeta is the more complex character, possesing both strengths and weaknesses.

Okay, DBZ might be a bad analogy, so take a look at the Dragonlance series instead - who is most complex and rememberable? Tanis? I'd rather put my bet on a sickly wizard...

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Tanis wasnt uber-powerful at all, he was just a good ranger. a better example would be drizzt do-urden, what a pussy. that assasin character in those books is a bitch too, but that later books focusing only on the assasin dude was really good. ("the crystal shard") hopefully there'll be more about him.

Our Host!