One thing to change in Arcanum mechanics

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by symban, Nov 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. symban

symban New Member

I always wanted the option of "beating the **** out of people" without killing them as a negotiation method. Something similar to Gothic series maybe.

Because the dialogs leads to battle very easily (especially if you are half-orc), but once it is initiated, apart from charm spell, there is no way of speaking back to these people.

Funny thing; I believe they actually intended to put such an option (at least for some NPCs) but eventually ended up releasing the game without it.

I noticed that when i was "speaking" with innkeeper in Black Root, after it eventually turned ugly, I began punching him and he began fleeing and he didnt fight back after he was below %25~ health, and yelling "Please no more hurting! just leave me alone!" "I am sorry just dont hurt me anymore". But when I let him alone and let 2 days to pass for him to recover health, he was still 0 reaction (hatred) and was attacking me on sight, to have the same lovely act again. There is simply no point in letting them live as it is. Once hatred (without charm spell) they are lost forever.

I believe there is already the code for trigger of surrender, but it is missing the trigger of dialog which has option to continue fighting, or stop fighting and raise reaction (as a consequence of fear) back to acceptable levels (above 30). I was wondering if I could code this option in.

Drog if you can direct me to correct mesh/data (?) group I would like to explore a little and see what i can do about it. Maybe I can even put it to all speakable NPCs.

2. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Is this speculation or have you seen something to suggest this?

3. symban

symban New Member

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It already works like that for at least two NPC, Simon Fahrkus and Gaylin. When they are (provoked to) attack and pushed into surrendering, they actually have a dialogue tree rather than typical surrendering floats.

So yes, the authors did make this feature possible, but apparently didn't consider it good enough/worth the trouble to implement in a greater number of (possibly even in all sentient) NPCs. A pity. Would make for some good roleplaying and increased realism.

5. symban

symban New Member

How did I forget these examples, thanks Muro!

It is definitely in game, but probably the need for making custom dialogs for each NPC was a burden for them.

On a second thought in an organized manner of coding this additional 1-2 sentences should not be a bother at all. After all everyone has a dialog option for speak with dead spell. Pity that it is not put into game completely.

As i said, if someone can direct me into data part I should check/how to mode it I would gladly put it into game. I have informatics background but not good enough to dig the code myself.

Our Host!