OMG - have you seen the news?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, Dec 15, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

...they were a fake band to begin with, weren't they?

p.s: I happen to work in education, and if everyone makes any jokes about Connecticut, I'll purge all records of your existence from this forum.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I don't know any jokes about Connecticut.

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't either, but I know a song about it:

The toe bone's Connecticut the foot bone,
    The foot bone's Connecticut the leg bone,
    The leg bone's Connecticut the knee bone,
    Here's the House of Lords.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You should add that one to the jokes thread!

6. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I move that this entire thread be stricken from the record.

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I move we banish ytzk to the wilderness.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Hah! I'm starting to miss the wilderness already.

I just found accomodation in the city and enrolled in university again, and I've been watching television for the first time in six months.

Needless to say, this civilisation business is depressing.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The great thing about civilization is the way that a lot of it is indoors.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The terrible thing about civilisation is the way that the majority of people are born, live and die without ever being able to connect to nature.

Those that do connect to nature know that the human brain is best grown on the inside of a forest, sleeping with the sun and observing thousands of different life-forms and millions of changing textures instead of, you know, millions of englishmen in uniform suits and uniform housing estates.

Like eaglets hatched into stark rooms, this civilised majority becomes blind from a lack of stimulus, and seems to cheerfully dismiss the daily extinction of other species and the pollution of the air, earth and sea, simply because they don't know what they're missing and so they don't care.

To me, Smuel, smug indoors, you seem like something pale and blind from under a log.

Sorry, that was harsh. I like you anyway, and I even envy you your adaption to this mad world. I'm fairly sure my kind are going extinct along with our natural habitat.

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    On the other hand, I haven't died from hypothermia or dehydration or starvation or poison or disease or being eaten by an animal. So, you know, there are pros and cons.

13. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Re:

I connect with nature regularly, and with gusto. Fortunately cows often sit down when they chew the cud so the farmer hasn't noticed anything different.

14. werozzi

werozzi Member

I'm one of ytzk's kind, i dislike towns.
    Too bad that i need one to finish my studies. But when they're done, Nomad life!

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The other nice thing about civilization is that the people are more attractive. Nature lovers probably have an idealised vision of loin-cloth clad paragons of human fitness leaping gracefully through the jungle, but that's actually from the film 'Avatar'. In real life, those people wouldn't be blue at all. They'd be short and have scraggly beards, tangled hair, and sagging skin. I guess all this makes me a superficial asshole though.

Still, at least I'm a superficial bleached asshole. Eat that, Tarzan!

Erm... that wasn't an invitation for Tarzan to... uh... I mean, I don't fantasize about sweaty jungle men chowing down on my... um... before roughly having their way with, you know...

So anyway, I heard that tATu have reformed! How about that?

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Look, I apologise again. Sorry.

Some of my best friends are civilised.

You make good points as well: ferals and tribal peoples are usually diseased and decayed. If not, it's because only the very healthiest survive past childhood if not past middle-age.

Furthermore, while education today is both globally homogeneous (rather than ecosystem specific) as well as narrowly focussed (on the globalised market), it is, nonetheless, awesome. The number of nature-loving new-age hippies who waste their neurons on astrology and channelling archangels for their latest brand of energy-healing massage is, if anything, more depressing than the zombie-kind wasting the planet and their minds on infomercials and newstainment.

Speaking as one who has lived among both substrata of society, I dream of a middle path, where we can roam the wilderness with nothing more than a nanotech utility belt and a database implanted in our brains.

And, yes, for you, Smuel, loincloths and massage oil.

17. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDF2xfcbv8[/youtube]

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm sorry too, ytzk. I have nothing against your lifestyle choices, I'd just prefer it if you didn't try to shove them down my throat. I don't care what anybody does in the privacy of their own wilderness, but what happens in the wilderness should stay in the wilderness and not intrude on the proper civilized behaviour of normal people.

19. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Hah! Bless your dry, English heart, old bean. Little do you realise that I've done one of my patented backflips on my lifestyle choices.

Today I shaved my beard, clipped my dredlocks and wore a collared shirt all day in the air conditioning. I'm studying hard science and renting a house next year, and I was even going to PM you for advice on assimilating.

From now on, I am One Of Us. My biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to your own. You see, I've realised that resistance is futile.

20. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Not having owned a tv license for the last 5 months, it has took me all this time to get up to date on news and understand the subtext behind this thread. I was thinking "What, does DF hate tATu and they're playing in Connecticut?"

That'll teach me to have woefully lacking knowledge of current affairs, or rather it won't as I'm still too lazy to check the news with regularity.

Our Host!