Oh no roleplaying forum is dieing!

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Maniac, Nov 11, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Come on, people! Oyarsa has thrown down a gauntlet and you're all just standing around wondering whether his hand is getting cold.

Why not post some character stories, like he says. It seems like a great idea to me, since (a) One post cannot be derailed by subsequent posts (b) Material to flesh out your post is right there in the adventures you've had in the game.

I mean, this should suit some of the action-hero role-players and more conversational ones equally. Why not give a blow-by-blow account of some fight, or a description of how you used wit and cunning to complete a quest (naturally the wit bit excludes you, Jar, but you have a certain low cunning :razz: )

[EDIT]Dark Underlord, sorry but I missed your post before. About your idea, I'm not sure it would be practical on a technical level, but maybe we could have an honour system that achieves a similar thing.

How about the creator lays out his rules for the thread and only people who respect them get to post? People who don't like the rules don't post, and posts in flagrant disregard are ignored by other posters as if they never happened.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-13 22:32 ]</font>

2. Just A Geek

Just A Geek New Member

Hey Fatman.. I saw the Challenge too. Its not that I've been ignoring it, its just that all the while I've been trying to figure out just HOW I wanna do my post for that. Read yours for it, BTW. Great Job :smile:

3. Sheriff Fatman

Thanks. I was mulling that over for a few days too :smile:

4. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Christmas pudding without currants?!

As far as yielding control of elements of the forum to everyone who decides to create a narrative thread: Nope, not gonna do it. Its a good idea in terms of people being responsible for their creations, but it holds too much potential for trouble, both technical and personal. As an alternative I can and will mediate issues, and take necessary steps like deletion and/or banning, for threads that are clearly started as one person's creation but open to the 'law abiding' public.

S_F,
    Thank you for taking up the gauntlet. What is it about Virgil that makes it so hard to abandon him or tell him to shove off? Your opening conveyed that sense quite well. Sorry your battle at that site went so poorly in the end, but mind the chickens.

5. Sheriff Fatman

NP, Oyarsa. Regarding Virgil, my attitude was caused by your request that we offer motivations, etc.

Truth be told, I rarely actually role-play CRPG's. Often I have little imagined personas for my characters, but I rarely consider their motivations very deeply, if at all.

When I asked myself "why did my character go along with the Child of Light thing?" I realised that the answer was that I try to be nice to "good" NPC's in conversation (at least with that character) and "do the right thing." When I considered this motivation in terms of an ongoing relationship, it just seemed that my character never really found a way to tell Virgil he thought it was all hogwash.

As for the fight. It was a moment of madness that actually happened, although I can't quire remember what caused my followers to start ragging on me. I think it was killing a chicken, but it may have been something else.

As I tried to hint - I had saved it before that point, so I just reloaded it and replayed the Aerial Decap location without the bloodbath.

Our Host!