Of Ore Golems and such....

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by wastelandhero, Jun 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Are you having troubles taking on the Ore Golems and Seething Masses?Well I was when not playing a mage. By pure accident I discovered this little technique and figured I would share it. Some may already do this, if not enjoy.....

Walk up to the monster in question to initiate combat, if you are playing turn-based don't get close enough to start combat though. Then walk away and let the said monster chase you, they are slow aren't they. At this time your followers run in and kick butt with out taking a single hit because you are the target. AMAZING!!!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yup, I've also discovered that. It's pretty nifty, especially when you have Dog n' Sogg and other characters that tear enemies apart quickly. It's also useful in the Ashbury basement where you fight the automaton for the mechanized armor.

It might fail if a follower blocks the path of the monster though.

4. team a

team a New Member

I used to do this on ore golems, but I stopped because it felt like an exploit. Then again, leaving a dungeon because you are getting your ass beat by one single opponent is no good either, so I still do it sometimes.

If the enemy gets close enough to take a swing at you, he will usually start attacking your followers even if you get away. You have to be careful to not get too far away either, or he'll do the same.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lol....yer not the first one.I ALWAYS use it.
    And if you use magic,guns,throwing then when u run from golem u can hit it too,which makes him die faster.
    Yesterday,when i was lvl 10 or 11(maybe 8 )i did it easyly :D

6. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Yeah, I've discovered this, but I'm extremely OCD about the durability of items so I always strip my followers of weapons when fighting those types of monsters >_<

7. team a

team a New Member

Yes. Durability is AWFUL in Arcanum. It could really use some work. I think Elder Scrolls is a good model.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

uhhh....u know what i do?
    I take my followers best weapons,so they don't use them.And i give them other weps that are not so good(rusty).
    For Virgil i give swords and daggers.
    For Sogg i give hammers,axes,heavy blades.
    Right now i have over 6 weps(2 or 3 of themrusty) on Virgil and Sogg,just in case,when i should meet golems again :D

9. team a

team a New Member

Don't use rusty weapons, just bare fist and heal. Rusty weapons make you significantly less effective in combat than an elderly gnome with tuberculosis.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah,but i can't heal forever.I mean...Virgil will run out of mana quickly and in the cave u cannot advance time.And i don't want to buy healing stuff either,so i prefer rusty,i kno they less effective,but at least i won't dmg myself.:DSogg has almost full inventory of every kindda weps .D

11. team a

team a New Member

So... you decide to use blunt weapons so that if you accidentally trip and manage to fall on your sword, you won't get as hurt?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then i'll load game .D

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

What I did before I patched to 1.0.7.4 was use the LGR. It always does at least 40 fatigue and physical damage, and guns never take damage from the bullets that hit the target. The target always dies.
    Now I just use the weapon editor and alter the LGR until it does that much damage.
    As for getting that sweet ass gun;

Go to Ashbury and kill William Thorndrop for it. He's the master of firearms, but can't fire guns anymore because he mutilated his hands as penance for his mastery of firearms. You may want to complete the mastery quest before you kill him. Or not, if you have a character editor.

15. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

If you're playing turn based and initiate combat by using some sort of liquid (like poison) on the enemy, all of your followers (you included) will strike before the enemy gets to. That's another idea for those who doesn't like kiting the monsters around.

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Another good idea is to use dynamite. It tends to blow things to pieces pretty well, and when you're far enough away from the intended target, it won't attack! Nearly a full screen's width is what you need. At that distance, you can plant dynamite on a target and blow it up, but they normally won't retaliate and just wait for death.

17. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I've never fully understood the wonders of the Arcanum dynamite. You can plant it from a huge distance, really, if your PE is high enough. Maybe it's got something to do with teleportation?

18. Darkform

Darkform New Member

also if you want to loot a corpse without walking to it you can pick pocket while holding shift as long as it is in sight. (you never fail to pick a corpses pocket.). this can also be done in combat most of the time without holding shift.

19. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

If you're good at throwing, and sneaking, and are a decent distance away, you can simply "throw" the dynamite next to the person. This works well with groups, though they do tend to notice the dynamite flying towards them. While they generally notice, I once killed Lukan and the two thugs this way. ^_^

Our Host!