NPC problem with my evil mage

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Serak Vulnar, Oct 7, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

I'm running a mage for the first time, as well as being my first evil character. I picked up Vollinger in Blackroot. (What's with the first tech npc you run into whether good or evil being a midget? Magnus-dwarf, Vollinger-gnome) I'd wanted to buy Vollinger a good gun while in Tarant, but the shopkeeper keeps begging me to leave. If my magic is so strong I can't buy from him, how come Vollinger's pistol still works in combat? Is there any where I can buy him a good gun? I tried to give Vollinger the stuff for him to make himself a repeater rifle, but he keeps equiping the hunting rifle that is needed and then it won't let him construct a repeater rifle. Is there a way to build it without buying him a second hunting rifle. Any help is most appreciated. Oh, and before anyone asks, I bought the hunting rifle from a blacksmith, I believe it was Garret in Blackroot. How I can buy from him and not the gunshop in Tarant, I have no idea.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

dont build a repeater rifle! pickpocket the sharpshooter's pistol off of the gunsmith in tarant while hes sleeping, it is much better than the repeater rifle.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Isn't it fun?

They've got a complex for it, no doubt. Knowing how small they are, they've just got to delve into technology to get that much-wanted ounce of respect :lol:

If you have 100% magickal aptitude, tech shopkeepers won't trade with you. So I guess that removes your ability to acquire a decent gun from a shopkeeper by legal means. You could always steal one though (hey, you're supposed to be evil, righ? Keep in character!)
    Your magick won't affect your followers, unless I'm horribly mistaken. It will only affect techno-enemies (which are very, very few anyway)

I believe he quits equipping the rifle if you strip him of bullets first. Just be sure to keep a decent melee weapon in his inventory and he'll go for that instead.

That's pretty weird. Blacksmiths usually sell firearms too, but it's quite strange that a simple blacksmith would have that and not a specialized gun shop. Oh well...

Hope that helps you though :)

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

just wanted to chime in and say that if you have 100% magickal aptitude you better not be using a gun unless you want to critical miss yourself in the foot every time you fire it... so you really have no business trading with tech shopkeepers anyway. if you want a ranged weapon go for throwing and do the throwing master quest.

5. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

He wants the gun for his follower, not himself. I don't think Vollinger has 100 MA. I did find that kindof annoying that you can't equip your tech followers if you're a pure mage. I mean, why can't you just give them a few coins and tell them to go in and buy whatever wacky trechy stuff they need?

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in Hints and Tips?

6. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

yea, I meant it to go in Hints and Tips, but I screwed up. I've tried to move it, but I can't find anyway to do it.
    I don't have any pickpocket skills. No melee, no dodge, just haggle, persuasion, and magic. This is the first time in any RPG that I've played that I'm using a pure mage. No weapon for backup.
    I've found that if I'm going to murder someone(such as Arbalagh, the priest at the beginning of the game), I make Virgil wait outside the house or shop at night, then I use the unlocking cantrip for the door, go in murder them(Harm spell) and leave. And Virgil's reaction never drops. Will this strategy work through out the game?

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

find a "dark helm" (i believe that is what it is called) and equip virgil with it it lowers your alignment by something like 10 points at some interval i'm unaware of, but i got his alignment down to 65 by accident (i didnt identify it) but at least he doesnt complain anymore. (he still gets tons of critical misses later in the game though...)

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

wtf? u get vollinger in dernholm. Go up to sammy white and fate pickpocket his hand-cannon. in my opinion it is better than the elephant gun coz basically no MSR faster and less bullet use and still does decent damage. plus u can hold a lantern or shiel with it

also sleek, whats been bothering me for some time is your spelling of sombrero

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    If I recall correctly, the Dark Helm lowers your alignment by 20 and increases your magickal aptitude by the same amount.
    I don't know if this is a bug or what (I believe I was unpatched) but the effect was permanent and cumulative each time I leveled up, ie at each level up I got a permanent 20 hit towards evil and a permanent 20 boost in magickal aptitude. Great, especially if you're an evil character with very few spells that couldn't reach 100 MA otherwise.

Besides, of all helms, it has the meanest graphics ;)

10. Serak Vulnar

Serak Vulnar New Member

wtf? u get vollinger in dernholm. Go up to sammy white and fate pickpocket his hand-cannon.

Yea, I didn't catch that one. I guess I was thinking about Blackroot. Sorry. Can you pickpocket something with a fate point even when you have no pickpocket skills?

I don't have any pickpocket skills. No melee, no dodge, just haggle, persuasion, and magic. This is the first time in any RPG that I've played that I'm using a pure mage. No weapon for backup.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yep, that's perfectly possible. You notice that when you click on the Fate point button you'll receive a list? Well, in that list you've got a number of options to choose from, like Critical hit on next attack, Full heal now etc. Amongst those, there's an option called "Critical Success at Pick Pocket".

So by using that fate point, you'll be able to steal whatever you wish without having a single point invested in pick pocket :)

Our Host!