New Pride and Prejudice on the way; Snowy despairs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowmane, Jul 28, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I don't know about you guys, but I love Pride and Prejudice. I loved the book when I read it, and I love the A&E version that was made about 8 years ago. When I was younger, I practically wanted to BE Elizabeth Bennet because I'm a dork like that. But anyways, I recently read in some stupid magazine that a new Pride and Prejudice was being filmed, not as a miniseries (therefore allowing it to be very long) but as a movie, starring Keira Knightly as Elizabeth.

I want to cry. Thanks Hollywood, for raping my memories. I think that Keira Knightly is a poor choice for Elizabeth Bennet, lacking the acting range (she pouts or is all KICKASS GRRRRLLLL) as well as the physical attributes. I looked up the movie on imdb and discovered that it was even worse than I thought. Donald Sutherland is playing Mr. Bennet (wtf?) as well as many other odd/poor casting choices.

Anyways, I know that many of you guys probably don't care much but I'm still very sad about this. :-(

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

poor Snowy, trying to interest guys in pride and prejudice... but i sympathize. the original A&E series was great. stupid hollywood...

3. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I have decided to not write a rant as to how Pride and Prejudice is uninteresting and all of the characters are flat.
    Instead, I am going to despair with you that they are making a Pride and Prejudice movie. It was bad enough without being raped by the bunch of morons that write most hollywood scripts and screenplays.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Did you know in a past life I might have enjoyed Jane Austin?

5. Canis

Canis New Member

In a past life you were a little girl who enjoyed hosting tea parties for her dollies?

Cool. :thumbup:

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I guess. I wonder where me American Girl collection has gone....

7. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

I alway's preferred Little Women myself.

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

You are soooo mistaken American Girl was soooo much better! Shame on you Guurlfriend!

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I, like, cannot believe it though, Barbie just like, totally DITCHED Ken. I was just like, OHHHH MY GAWD, he is, like, such a hottie, how is she so stupid?

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Ken was actually Kendra, a man trapped in a woman's body. She was halfway through her transgender procedure when Barbie finally found out. G.I. Joe pulled Ken's swim trunks down at Barbie's Spa Getawayâ„¢ in a playful display of homoeroticism, and, well, if you've ever seen a Ken doll you know what he's got down there. Or hasn't got.

Okay, going to bed now.

11. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Oh you are sooo right gurl. *High Fives*

That was harlarious Canis. You made that up on the spot? And we're taking a major crap in Snowmane's thread. Haha..

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I never liked Pride and Prejudice. Then again, I only ever read the first couple of paragraphs. I just don't like Jane Austen at all. Actually, I just don't like romantic novels.

13. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Nah, I don't care, I knew that no one around here would give a shit.

BANNED!

14. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Snow, your sig reminds me of the movie, All Quiet on the Western Front. Good movie that.

I don't really know much about P&P or Jane Austin but if Hollywood is making a movie out of it they must be thinking they can get a quick buck off it, especially with actors who look nice but can't act like Kiera Knightly in it.

15. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Yea, that is part of a poem about Flander's Fields (called In Flander's Fields I believe) which was written by a person who served in WW I. Have you read the book All Quiet on the Western Front? I haven't seen the movie, but the book is very good.

16. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

I've read the book and seen the movie. I thought both were great, but I appreciate a good movie more, because there's generally less of them and for a low budget movie it was pretty good. It was the thing that encouraged me to read the book.

17. Settler

Settler Member

Great. I get eighty pages into Vanity Fair, then see a trailer that reveals a chunk of the plot. Grrrr.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That'll learn you to watch trailers of books you're reading won't it? On a side note, most movies are only loosely related to the books they're based off of, and I usually find the books far superior.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That's because in a movie setting you can't display the true emotions. A book can describe a setting, which is easy enough to make in real life, but it can also portray an emotion in a way you can't pick up just watching some shitty actor cry for 90 minutes. You really need GOOD actors along with a GREAT scriptwriter to get a movie as good as a book.

20. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Whilst we're discussing movies... I highly recommend every-one go and see Dodgeball. It is fucking hillarious... I laughed all the way through it. It has everything you could want in a movie... David Hassellhoff, Will Shatner, Chuck Norris, Marsha Brady, a pirate, even a large hairy man watching a skinny teenage boy wash his car on his hands and knee's!. A definate must see.

Our Host!