New moderator(s)?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Calis, Nov 29, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

uhg... you are not the nice person I thought you were (calis)

It's not like im asking for admin... im just asking to be a mod, whats the worst that could happen? I delete a post that I shouldnt have, you take me off the mod list.

And it's not like im not an active member of arcanum, I just got the game for my birthday (nov 11) so I dont see how it is fair to be biased towards the longetivity of someone's membership. If I got it when Jinxed did, I would have been here just as long!

And that isnt the only board I've moderated, but it is the latest.

I completely understand you not accepting me now, but I just want my voice to be heard.

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

How am I kissing arse? That sort of thing happens when you become a regular. It's one of the perks - people know you, talk to you, etc etc etc.

3. Calis

Calis Member

Hey man, I am a nice person. I'm just becoming more and more convinced that you would make a shitty moderator. You don't even seem to understand what I'm saying, and have yet rto refute any of my points. I can understand your feelings are somewhat hurt of this, but I'm not going to make you a moderator just because I want to fix your hurt feelings. It's a mistake I have made in the past, and I'm not going to make it again. It has bitten me in the ass, and I'm not someone who likes to repeat his own mistakes.
    Let me just copy-paste the same thing I said to Jinxed in the other thread:
    That, my friend, is the deal. And seriously, if you read the posts I've made on the subject (and understand what I'm trying to say), you'll see why posts like the last few you've made in this thread will only hurt your chances.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Wrong! That's is one of the major factors. Being a regular, I have seen alot of people come and go. Hell even AL is MIA. Right now I'm the oldest active member of the forum, except Calis. That let's him know, that there is a big possiblity of me staying here for good. BUT EVEN I'M ON A TRIAL PERIOD. If Calis doesn't know if he could trust me entirely how could he trust someone who's been here for 2 weeks? Also you ask what's the big deal? Well, What's the point of you being a mod if you're not going to be here?
    that is the reason Calis is making this admittance, because someone wasn't doing his job.(sorry if I offended anyone)
    do you really think an admin would like to go through that again?

If only you had this attutude at the start...

Calis: I know I'm alittle out of my way here mentioning you too many times, but this is how I really feel about this.

5. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

It's not my chances im worried about hurting... it's changing your set mind, I really dont care what happens, and yess my feeling are hurt because I tried to be the nicest, helping person I could be and you still dont notice how hard I am trying to please you!

6. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

and you still havnt given a ligitimate reason not to at least give me a chance. you have given reasons, but there is no reason to not give someone a chance... you gave one to jinxed, whats to say I wont be just as good a moderator as he?

and jarnior, i was referring to jinxed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dmonik on 2001-12-02 15:23 ]</font>

7. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

I know what your going to say... but if by some miracle, you decide that I might be worth a chance :eek:, I am greatful

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dmonik on 2001-12-02 15:26 ]</font>

8. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

Oh, and one last thing. dont you think that 2 moderators that are here everyday would be better than one? that would give you alot of flexibility... :smile:

9. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

calis if your reading this... I have excellent IRC experience (admin 2 times and GlobOP 4 times)

10. Calis

Calis Member

I have, however, explained to you in great length that that is not how it works with me. I've learned in the past that that is the WRONG frame of reference to use with stuff like this. Think about it. If I were to give you mod status and then yank it away, that would actually create a worse situation.

Do you propose I give everybody who asks for a moderating position the benefit of the doubt? Do you propose I give it to you because you suggested the creation of a board, a suggestion that was eventually shot down but lead to a discussion about hiring more moderators? If you are, let me just say that I have experience with this kind of thing. Every single time I hired someone for something like this without having at least a partial view on how he'd be, it has bitten me in the ass. If I were to hire every single person that requests a staff position on T-A, we would now have a staff of 30 people with 20 of them being snotty whinos who just want to show off the fact that they're on our staff page. I'm not suggesting you're like that. I am, however, saying that I have no real way of seeing whether or not you are, and that's why I haven't included you in this. I don't think there's any more to add on the matter, except for this:

This is not about deserving a chance. This is about hiring people when I'm convinced having them as a moderator would make the board *better*. I'm sure you'd take great care and not screw up if I gave you a chance. Unfortunately, that's not my criterium.

I think I've summed up my points on the subject, so I'm going to leave it at this. Feel free to address my points, but be sure to actually *read* them thoroughly, because I'm not convinced that you have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-12-02 15:36 ]</font>

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Dmonik: Let me give you an example that I keep thinking about:
    There was a guy here named Dakun, we became really good friends, he had around 300 posts? If I'm not mistaken. We really had a good time. One time he offered to check the multiplayer options so I said I will be here tommorow. He is MIA for 2 months now. He hasn't showed up his face since then. Why? I don't know. I hope nothing bad happened. But this is the benefit of the doubt Calis pointed out. I'm still regreting this guy just "dissapeared" because everything was pointing that he would be a real regular and a good friend.
    I say this sincerly. I'm not going to oppose
    if Calis decides to give you a chance don't worry. If he decides it's the right thing to do, I will be just hoping you don't dissapear.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Speaking of MIA'ers...what ever happened to Skorpios Calis? I notice that you now mod the AGES section (it's actually where I started off :smile:). Did he resign or just piss off somewhere else?

13. Calis

Calis Member

He disappeared from the face of the earth, actually. AGES didn't seem to be going anywhere, so with my uber-l33t Borg-like assimilation skills, I turned the Modding-forums into T-A run forums instead of AGES-run ones. Didn't seem useful to have them run by a dead organization and a non-present moderator... and yes, I realize I have, in fact, given that way too much "benefit of doubt". :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-12-02 16:03 ]</font>

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wow, you have too...didn't notice the name change. It's a shame about AGES, the concept was really good. Unfortunately, it just never took off...:sad:.

Our Host!