Neuroplasticity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Nov 17, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well, I linked to a site that suggested radio stations could be picked up by fillings, and right now we have the technology to turn EMR signals from stars into sounds, as stars also emit radio waves. What I just posted was a theory based on how the ear works and what's possible with any radio frequency.
    Perhaps an animal such as an orca, which actually has a jaw full of fluid to aid in picking up underwater vibrations, would be able to pick up radio stations even better than a human...if AM frequencies traveled better through water than air, and they had fillings for some reason.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Jojobobo, the implications for treating OCD are also profound.

Thankfully, unlike someone with ADHD, you can just obsess over the book yourself and get into the details.

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Citations schmitations.

Anyway, here's an example of neuroplasticity.

With this site having edited 'Muro' in the place of 'God', my brain rewired the two words and now when I see 'Muro' I think 'God'.

Nice racket you got going there, Muro. Can I join your cult plz?

Edit: I think you know what I was trying to say.

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't think that's what is meant by neuroplasticity. Word association is part of what your language centres are supposed to do. Neuro-plasticity would be if your language centres were damaged, so couldn't perform word association any more, and then some other part of your brain took over the role and started doing it in its place.

It's like re-wiring the hardware, rather than using the existing wiring.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yes, word association is part of what your language centres are supposed to do. Neuroplasticity refers to the process by which the microneuroanatomy changes to reflect what you are learning.

It happens constantly, big and small changes, including when an old word suddenly changes in meaning, murodammit.

8. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, according to Wikipedia, "Plasticity occurs on a variety of levels, ranging from cellular changes involved in learning, to large-scale changes involved in cortical remapping in response to injury."

I don't think the micro changes are anything new - it's the possibility of macro changes which are causing Gross to worry about the future of homosexuality. That's why I don't think word association is a good example of "neuroplasticity".

10. Grossenschwamm

You guys want to know what I've learned about neuroplasticity over the past 14 days? Psychiatrists in practice now don't believe in it because they're getting paid a little extra to prescribe the hottest new med - currently it's an injection that can be used to treat depression and psychosis. Neurologists can't quite explain it, despite some stroke victims completely recovering. "It's my job to understand the neurology of the human body. I can't understand this process at all. It's like the brain isn't a machine like we've thought for hundreds of years, and like I was taught when I graduated school 5-10-15 (etc.) years ago."

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, according to Wikipedia, "for some scientific articles Wikipedia came close to the level of accuracy of Encyclopædia Britannica and had a similar rate of serious errors."

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Encyclopædia Britannica Schmencyclopædia Schmritannica.

14. Grossenschwamm

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSu9HGnlMV0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSu9HGnlMV0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    This is one example. When I saw the full documentary several years ago (before it aired on Discovery Health), they had more recent MRI picures of her brain - it was starting to grow into the space occupied by the cerebrospinal fluid. At that point, this was just a surprising case of what it might be, and was mainly attributed to her youth at the time of the procedure to actually remove that hemisphere of her brain. No one thought the brain could actually re-wire to compensate for such a severe amount of trauma.

Our Host!