Need help in planing my character

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by golemmaster, Aug 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Hey all.

Well, I'm planning my first play trough Arcanum and while I understand the character system and its mechanics, I'm a bit clueless about what skills etc. to invest in.

I was planning to play a human diplomatic gunslinger/mechanical followers constructor. Please don't tell me about playing a mage, I know the game is supposedly a bit imba when it comes to mage vs. tech but there's np way Im gonna play an elven mage in a game which offers me the unique opportunity to play a steampunk character.

Now here are my questions:
    1) Is concentrating on guns/mechanical summoning a senseful combination?
    2) Im a bit clueless how widespread my investations into the technology branches (weaponsmithing, electrics, mechanics etc. )should be. On how many of them should I concentrate? 1? 2? 3, maybe even 4?
    I have little idea how many points I will have available to spend throughout the game and therefore don't really know if I should exclusivly concentrate on 1 or 2 ability trees or on more of them parralely.

3) Which character attributes should I raise for this kind of character? I figured Dextertity, Beauty, Charisma, Intelligence and perception would be the most important attributes for my kind of character? What about constitution, I guess every character could need lots of energy and hitpoints...how much should I raise it throughout the game?
    What about strength, can I make it more or less my dump stat?

4) Is there anything else important for a diplomatic char than a high charisma and high persuade skill?
    Do I need to raise beauty and/or intelligence heavily to get all the diplomatic options?

I'd be very helpful for some general directions concerning my questions as I a bit lost right now.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I was about to say you should play a strong, pure meele & dodge character, or a kickass evil mage. But if you don't want to be a mage...

On the other hand, if you have problems only with arrogant elves, not mages (just like I do :D), you can choose a human mage at any time.

3. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

He no problem dude :D I admit the topic title is a bit misleading, I should alter it.
    Do you have any recommendations regarding the character type I want to create?

Is diplomat/techno summonor/gunslinger a valid option in this game?
    Oh and please, I need an answer to my 4th question very much since I can't find anything about it in the manual.
    Are diplomatic options determined only by charisma and persuade skill or are intelligence and beauty important factors aswell?

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Intellegence very muchly factors in to diplomatic choices. If you're a dumbass, you say dumbass things, even if you say them so everyone thinks it's right. ;)

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

1) Sure, it makes sense. That said, my most succesful tech char was a pyrotechnic gunslinger with some thieving tendencies developing later on. Be sure to take the molotov coctail in explosives, the experise will allow you to make bullets and molotovs are a great way to get rid of swarming rats.

2) You might want to also learn smithy, combined with mechanical, it will later allow you to make automatons (elite plate + mech. spider). Two ranks of electrilal will be very helpful, at least one in explosives. You might want to leave mechanical until later, since its not very useful at first. The number of points you get depands mostly on how diplomatic and evasive your playthrough will be, its possible to avoid quite a lot of trouble by talking, but remember that trouble means exp. If you want to develop your character early, I recomend hiting locations like old sewers in Tarant and Ancient Temple before going through with the main quest.

3) You should rise Int up to 20, since the overall bonus is worth the extra point, you would also profit from geting charisma to 20 with this type of char. Then there's Dex, the higher it is the faster you wil shoot, so better get it to a reasonable level. Charged rings might help. Str will be useful by the time you get bigger guns or wear heavy armour, other then that it dosn't do much for a gunslinger, as long as you don't get encumberated. I dunno if beauty does anything special, usually the smoking jacket and blessings along the way increase the initial reaction well enough... So I'd leave that at 9. The same goes for constitution, I've always relied on healing stuff reather then my own toughnes and still turned into a tank by level 30.

4) AFAIK Charisma, Intelligence and persuade are all it takes to be convincing in Arcanum. Then there are the alignment and the level you're on, which are a factor when picking up followers. Thet includes Thorvald on the IoD.

As for general directions, it's best to stick to the fine revolver at first, stock up on ammo, molotovs and healing supplies and go on a rampage in some monster infested place to get exp. Or a couple of such places. Then you get to play the game with a half-ready character with all the key features you wanted. Also consider getting your dex to 18 and learning lockpicking, being able to get all the ammo you need by shoplifting makes the gunslinger char more bearable. until then, learn to make bullets, be sure to pick up the schematic from the gunsmith in Tarant when you first arrive. Shoplifting might also help get the parts for mechanical thingies, steam engines aren't cheap.

Also, make sure to search the forums for hints and watch out for spoilers.

6. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Wow, thanks so much everybody but especially Bob for his detailed in-depth answer :)

Although Bob already answered everything I need to know, further hints and advices are of course appreciated.

Thanks again, I'm sure Im gonna have a blast with this wonderful game!

7. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

Don't be afraid to learn Agility of Fire. Each casting boosts AG by 4 points, and with high enough IN and CN you'll be able to sustain enough of those spells to not need to put a single point into AG. You can also learn Purity of Water and use that in the same fashion to boost Beauty, but as I've discovered, that can have some unfortunate side effects when the game decides to artifically lower an NPCs reaction while you're using magic to boost that same reaction. Can make them become hostile when they see you without the magic. Having a high Beauty mostly seems useful to get cheaper prices when buying stuff, while Haggle increases the money you get when selling stuff.

Or don't learn those spells at all if you think they're waaay overpowered for being so easy to learn and cast. Which they are. They even work on tech characters as far as I've seen, and that just seems silly. But they do work, and with only 64 points to spend things on, who wouldn't want to get +8 points at the cost of only a single point? That's with IN 8 though. A real technologist/diplomat would of course have higher IN, and thus get more bang out of their single spell. Well, as long as they have the CN to maintain it.

Another way to boost attributes is to learn the full therapeutics line. Those things last for 4 hours, and can boost all attributes by a total of 4, and then boost AG, PE and ST by 2 more points. So that's potentially +38 attribute points for only 7 points and a lot of ingredients which you can shop around for in Tarant. For 30 real time seconds of diplomatic rush-click-speeches and quick schematic-clicking, you could use the magical Potion of Intellect which boosts IN by 10 points, even for tech characters. Only lasts for a short while though, so it's not really worth it unless you are desperate to save points for other things. Or if you're just too cheap to spend points on IN, even though you've got enough of them by the end. Like me. :cry:

When it comes to technological disciplines you may not want to just buy 1-4 degrees in any one of them, because there are four different NPCs who all get up to four degress in two different disciplines each (I think). Magnus, Jayna, Vollinger and Sebastian can all make various items for you if you pick them up and keep them around so that they level up. So rather than spending two points on the Electrical discipline to get Charged Rings, you could just wait until you pick up Sebastian. And when it comes to guns, you can steal those from people, so if you just want a single Looking Glass Rifle, you don't have to build it yourself. You can spend those points on Prowling, since it uses PE just like Firearms does. Whatever Vollinger can't build, you can find/steal.

Kind of sucks though, to make a discipline almost useless by offering the results of that discipline to anyone with a fate point to steal it with. Sure, sure, roleplaying a gunsmith still works I guess, but it really weakens the incentive for me to spend points in that discipline. :/

8. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Persuasion vs big guns

I'm not into gravedigging, but I'd still like to say that if you've got a big enough gun, persuasion can be overlooked for a bit. I think. But I never play gunslingers, so I wouldn't know.

9. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

He, since the thread is only 2 days old or so I dont think that qualifies as gravedigging ;)

Thanks for you helpful input Gillsing and Timothy :)

Our Host!