Need Help - Group of Cursed Paladins vs. Me (and I'm alone!)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Menkhur, Aug 16, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

I'm at the stage where I need a boat.
    Since I am not going to buy it or gamble for it, I decided to take Strigy Pete's quests.

I completed the first two, but the thirs is nearly imposible for my character.

I am a thief, level 49, and I can not kill the Evil Paladin or whatever it is ...
    His entourage of Cursed Paladins keep on healing him faster than I can damage him and he ends up killing me.

Any recommendations or strategies that have worked for others?

2. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

If you have prowling try using it to get past them, if you have backstab aswell use that on them with a dagger.
    You could also buy a boat from the man on the docks in black root, being a thief you should have enough money.

3. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Yep.
    I could steal the money, but my character has a soft spot for adventure. The backstab idea is good tough. I found a dwarven hammer that carries an excellent punch (15-25 base damage) and I had forgotten that backstab doesn't apply with it.
    I guess I'll have to gear up and get a sword.

Thanks for the reminder.

Still ... any other opinions, please?

How can a non-magic user disable magic users?

4. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

:minigun: That's pretty sad, what are you going to do in the void, where you'll find creatures that make the cursed paladin look like strawberry shortcake? Level 49? Sounds like you need to recruit some followers with melee skills or start over and play a character with some type of combat skill. I am still having trouble digesting a level 49 character can't defeat these paladins......anyway, try using stoneskin and potions of haste. Also using gernades, dynamite, etc. may help. Good luck my weak friend. :wavey:

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

If you post all of your skills, stats, available schematics and tech items you can build, and any spells you might have, then people could give you more advice.

There's not much point in saying 'Zap them with desintegrate' and other such helpful suggestions if yuo can take the advice.

6. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

All OK now.

I managed the paladins.

I was trying to do it without magic or technology.
    Single handed combat seems to not be easy for a halfling.

Managed it with a Hellgate spell and my trusty IronClan hammer, with a haste spell on myself.

Thanks!

7. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

The iron clan hammer and magic - those two things dont mix (even with melee mastery you stand a chance of critically failing with a powerful tech item like this).

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

IMO when you play a RPG game and decide dto be a thief then you should act accordingly. If you make a thief character while you act as a slayer at the same time - what's the point?

9. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

If your a thief, then you dont want followers so you dont get persuasion so you have to kill the final boss (who cant be pickpocketed) or 4 very tough bad guys) so you need to be able o kill things so at level 49 your killing skills are almost perfected so to get extra experience you use them.

10. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

Careful character planning is whats needed to overcome any battle probs.

First of all I make sure my character can kill with ease at the start of the game. This provides you with alot of exp so you can further improve fight skills (by that i mean whatever means necesary to win)

Simple really 3:)

11. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

This is what I do to make my charecter "KILLER BAD"

1) I have Virgil wait for me while I run around and kill everything in the first part (running back to him as needed for heals)

2) I do the preist quest then kill the prist cause it gives exp without harming karma and you get the blessing.

3) do all in town quests on my own, Have Virgil around for the mines but only close enough for me to run back and get healed quick.

4) Go hunt down all the wolves surounding the town and kill them. (alone)

5) GO BACK to the crash sight with virgil, complete the evil part of the Preist quest for more exp and walk back to town without the map kill all the wolves in that area (Very hard to do alone keep Virgil very close for back up.)

6) Go back to town and do the final bridge quest to get out of town. Once you get good at this both you and Virgil should be atleast lvl 4 (5) by the time you leave. Which is ALOT better then the lvl 2 the game would like you to be at that stage 3:)

But this is my secret so don't let anyone else read this :cool:_ (DOH!)

12. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Actually, I already completed that part of the game sometime ago.

I learned:
    If you are playing a Magic User / Thief, is is best to have some muscle to back you up.

So, Now I have the Mutt and the oversized bodyguard, Chukka, at my side.

Well equipped, they make a formidable team.

Since I'm not in a hurry to finish the game, I don't mind sharing the experience.

This time, I am trying to run most (if not all) of the quests.

Also, for WEAK characters, I discovered that turn based combat is better than real-time. Specially if you are prowl master AND backstab master.
    :)

13. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

:rofl: Man I have heard of DARING but this takes the cake. all hail Conan THE HALFLING :rofl:

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

A 49 level thief should be able to prowl in, pickpocket the arcane axe off the head paladin, get the sword, destroy it or not, backstab the baddies with the axe, & leave. More so if he uses magic, such as invisibility.

Our Host!